Possible solutions for the traveling PC gamer

Hey guys I might be moving into a van or camper semi full time. 

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with actual desktop setups in campers/vans.

Is a Desktop PC even feasible for something like this? Or should I just be looking at a laptop for the efficiency it brings.

I already have a desktop with a 3080, so if I could keep it that'd be great! 

Maybe something like a battery backup would be in order to smooth out the spikes.

(Also I would be plugged into an external outlet while gaming)

Any insight is appreciated ^^

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

I'm not sure ... I'd be scared of having my GPU inside a PCI-E slot in a moving camper... I mean I never moved a PC without removing the GPU first. Maybe I'm just a whimp 😛

Something else that could be a problem is condensation water when the camper isn't constantly heated. Friend of mine had to do lots of maintenance on his machines because he heated his workshop and only when he used it - because he had only a wood stove. Not sure if that problem is applicable to PCs though.

A laptop is better when mobile like that.

a full tower isn’t going to fit well

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

plus theres the fact the rv doesnt have a lot of power for a pc.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

realistically, going laptop is your best choice as its the best for mobile life styles.

On the other hand you could take you parts and but them into a small form factor case and make a fairly tiny pc if your willing to buy new parts,

this doesn't solve the power issue but if you like the upgradability and customisation of desktops its not a bad option, 

the NR200p is a really solid fairly cheap SFF case.

It's possible to do. There's many videos about how people are setting this up for van life homes. A laptop would be much easier, but desktop is more than possible. Nr200p would be a great case. I'd try to put your GPU on a riser(swap BIOS PCIE mode to 3.0 if you use the included riser) and the weight of the GPU won't be on your motherboard. Small enough case that you can stuff it in a hide away. Run a TB dock to where you plan to use the computer. Then you don't have to run mouse and keyboard and peripheral cables in a way that you'd have to clean up every time to make space for dinner. 

With some creativity people have some amazing set ups in vans. It's completely over the top, but here's one Linus did this year. There's a lot out there though.

https://youtu.be/Gd2BthretS0

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

The first hurdle is powering it.

If you’re plugged into the power grid you’re good to go. However, if you’re going to rely on stored power then you’ll need to forget using a desktop. Many people use car batteries in parallel for stored power. Your average car battery would be lucky to supply 400Wh after overhead. Your current PC would drain one of those in like 35 minutes while gaming.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I agree with the above ^.  Unless you are on 120/240 power, running a desktop is going to be a nightmare.  Doable, but you're talking battery banks, capacitors, potentially an alternator upgrade, etc.  Or at minimum a generator of some type (with a LOT of power output).  Not to mention a voltage inverter of some type.

A laptop is a far better solution, but will still have potential issues with power consumption if you aren't on grid power.  The ideal thing (if you don't have a proper outlet/power system in your vehicle) is to run your inverter leads to the battery terminals directly.

Really depends on whether you can use grid power, whether or not an external power generator is possible (vs. having to run off your engine), etc.

6 hours ago, Roswell said:

The first hurdle is powering it.

If you’re plugged into the power grid you’re good to go. However, if you’re going to rely on stored power then you’ll need to forget using a desktop. Many people use car batteries in parallel for stored power. Your average car battery would be lucky to supply 400Wh after overhead. Your current PC would drain one of those in like 35 minutes while gaming.

You can work around it with devices like a Jackery power bank, but even there it'll get drained quick.  Laptop would still be better.

18 hours ago, Emanbaird said:

Hey guys I might be moving into a van or camper semi full time. 

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with actual desktop setups in campers/vans.

Is a Desktop PC even feasible for something like this? Or should I just be looking at a laptop for the efficiency it brings.

I already have a desktop with a 3080, so if I could keep it that'd be great! 

Maybe something like a battery backup would be in order to smooth out the spikes.

(Also I would be plugged into an external outlet while gaming)

Any insight is appreciated ^^

I definitely agree with the others here, laptop would be the way to go. Thunderbolt 3 eGPU's make it easier to add performance to mid-range laptops, or even gaming laptops with lesser dGPU's in the event that you want to upgrade. Personally, I'd buy a decent gaming laptop and just call it a day in general.

I picked up a refurbished HP Omen 15 from my local Micro Center for $1400 and it was worth every penny: https://www.microcenter.com/product/640898/hp-omen-15-ek1013dx-156-gaming-laptop-computer-refurbished-black

If you can find something like that online, you'll have a solid platform with a nice 300hz G-Sync display all integrated into one. If you want to run external monitors for movies, you can easily do so through thunderbolt or HDMI 2.1.

You could probably sell the 3080 and nab something like that laptop outright as @Arika Smentioned. If you found yourself needing more GPU horsepower in the future, buy something faster than the RTX 3070 Max-Q and run it through TB3, just be mindful that you'll likely incur a 20-30% performance penalty if you run an eGPU through TB3 without using an external monitor as well.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

15 hours ago, tkitch said:

I'd go laptop.

Decent GPUs today are fuckin' HEAVY, and that can ruin your board and / or card on a bump.

Pack a laptop into a properly padded bag, and you're pretty safe.

Thats true, I hadn't even considered the impact of being mobile on the components themselves

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

It definitely seems like I'll be using a laptop eGPU in conjunction with my current monitor.

Should I just use my existing 3080?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

41 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

It definitely seems like I'll be using a laptop eGPU in conjunction with my current monitor.

Should I just use my existing 3080?

At that point you're not really saving much power if that's your concern. IIRC a 3080 can pull north of 300W while gaming. Your laptop and monitor will be another 100W.

So instead of your gaming PC pulling 550W you're going down to 400W which will still absolutely tear through batteries. Meanwhile, an average gaming laptop would be pulling 100-150W.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20