Cable vs. Fiber

Backstory I'm moving to a semi rural area and shopping internet.  My choices are very limited the only Fiber provider has speeds only up to 24Mbps.  Cable in the area can do speeds up to 1gbps down and 35mbps up.  Which would you choose and why?  Would the dedicated fiber be better than sharing bandwidth with the neighborhood on cable?  

I think they mean DSL when they say Fibre here. Someone thought it was ok to call fiber to the node Fibre, even though there is a DSL line running into your house. 

Id go for the cable here, probably gonna be better, and much faster for most uses. Get fiber when they actually run it to your house.

Yeah I thought it was weird they were calling it fiber and only had dsl type speed

Also worth mentioning that even most residential fiber isn't dedicated, its still shared bandwidth. I have FiOS and the fiber terminates in a bedroom closet to the ONT so its fiber all the way into my house. Still, bandwith can vary depending on the time of day. 

However, I find that overall its far, far more reliable than cable.

At the speeds you're offered though.. yeah that doesn't seem like true fiber.

2 hours ago, RitalOut said:

Backstory I'm moving to a semi rural area and shopping internet.  My choices are very limited the only Fiber provider has speeds only up to 24Mbps.  Cable in the area can do speeds up to 1gbps down and 35mbps up.  Which would you choose and why?  Would the dedicated fiber be better than sharing bandwidth with the neighborhood on cable?  

Yeah that I think is DSL. I know AT&T reps routinely lie to people claiming aDSL and VDSL services are Fiber. Between DSL and Cable I would go Cable all the way. Between Cable and Fiber, Fiber all day. Rural areas seldom get any type of Fiber connections. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.