Updated Core 17 back in beta.

Which drivers?

13.3, but i'll update it to 13.4 soon.

This has been stable like this for 10 hours, before ppd was like 100K, I like this  :)

attachicon.gifFAH_B.png

Sweet!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

The PPD should be much higher on 4x GTX 690s running core_17. Drop SMP and watch your PPD skyrocket.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you were folding on 4xGTX 690s.

I'm running stock 13.4 drivers on my 7970s @ 1290mhz and getting ~130k ppd on each one

The PPD should be much higher on 4x GTX 690s running core_17. Drop SMP and watch your PPD skyrocket.

Any way you could guide me in the right direction? I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.  :huh:
Google didn't help me much either.

Any way you could guide me in the right direction? I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.  :huh:
Google didn't help me much either.

Check the FAQ and Install guide.

Essentially on your advanced view you can see your slot for CPU says CPU:8 - meaning it is using all 8 cores.

Click on the configure button. Then click the slots tab and edit the CPU slot.

Typically in here on the CPU section it is set to -1 - the default for auto configure. Change it to 7 manually to leave one core free. This can possible speed up your GPU folding.

Monitor for a day or two. If you see it increase, then you may even want to try changing it to 6 and seeing if it improves more. If it doesn't or gets worse, change back to 8.

Typically AMD need one CPU core free for each GPU core and NVidia need just one CPU core free for all the GPU's (if at all). With the new Beta though the reliance on the CPU by the GPU is supposed to have dramatically decreased for all cards.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I suggest removing the SMP slot entirely because folding core_17 with Nvidia GPUs needs one free CPU core for every GPU core.

I suggest removing the SMP slot entirely because folding core_17 with Nvidia GPUs needs one free CPU core for every GPU core.

Not really true any more in my opinion - this wasn't even the case prior to the Beta for NVidia. I would typically leave one core free for NVidia plus anything else, but have recently cranked it to not leave one free with great results. You did need to do this previously with AMD cards, but the new Beta core 17, project 7663 fixes a lot of that reliance so even with AMD you no longer need to leave a bunch of cores free. Same story - on my AMD folding rig, I just have one core free for all the cards plus anything else the system needs...

When not running a SMP slot, what is the cpu usage of each instance of core_17 on your 4xGPU folding rig?

Not sure - never measured it - and I am out of country for a few days. Send me a PM to check this - so I remember, and can do it this weekend...

Check the FAQ and Install guide.

Essentially on your advanced view you can see your slot for CPU says CPU:8 - meaning it is using all 8 cores.

Click on the configure button. Then click the slots tab and edit the CPU slot.

Typically in here on the CPU section it is set to -1 - the default for auto configure. Change it to 7 manually to leave one core free. This can possible speed up your GPU folding.

Monitor for a day or two. If you see it increase, then you may even want to try changing it to 6 and seeing if it improves more. If it doesn't or gets worse, change back to 8.

Typically AMD need one CPU core free for each GPU core and NVidia need just one CPU core free for all the GPU's (if at all). With the new Beta though the reliance on the CPU by the GPU is supposed to have dramatically decreased for all cards.

Thanks, At least I was looking in the right direction but somehow I was looking for a more difficult solution, lol.  :huh:

When not running a SMP slot, what is the cpu usage of each instance of core_17 on your 4xGPU folding rig?

With CPU disabled the 4xGPU's used between 65 and 70% of total CPU. I've tested folding with 3 threads and CPU usage was between 90 and 95%. (screenshot below) 

Currently I'am testing 4 threads. Will report back when I have time, probably tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help werty316 and Whaler_99.

Looks like I'm climbing up the rank list nicely  :)

post-15571-0-85011300-1368605258_thumb.p

Thanks, At least I was looking in the right direction but somehow I was looking for a more difficult solution, lol.  :huh:

With CPU disabled the 4xGPU's used between 65 and 70% of total CPU. I've tested folding with 3 threads and CPU usage was between 90 and 95%. (screenshot below) 

Currently I'am testing 4 threads. Will report back when I have time, probably tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help werty316 and Whaler_99.

Looks like I'm climbing up the rank list nicely  :)

attachicon.gifNaamloos123.png

Very impressive figures there :)

I spotted 110k ppd on my 7970 the other day. I was very happy. I may get another one and put it in my server and run f@h on that all the time. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

• 3 weeks later...

Update - a new project has been released as part of the Core 17 - P8900 - all my cards picked this one up in the past day - seems to be putting out good numbers!

mine just got it, ill post the results in a bit :D

welp, so far its much worse, im getting about 6k when i was getting anywhere from 15 to 35k before, on project 7663 :/

Same - better the normal, but ya, worse the 7663

Hmm, I only see a decrease of about 1kPPD. Went from 115k to 114k so I'm not so concerned about it. And that's on a single 7970

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Awesome! :)

so with the new project, my pc is lagging when watching youtube videos for example and floding with my gpu, does anyone know what i can do so it doesnt lag? thanks

so with the new project, my pc is lagging when watching youtube videos for example and floding with my gpu, does anyone know what i can do so it doesnt lag? thanks

Well, you could set the the slider bar to Medium for that when your using the pc, the gpu sits idle and when you leave the pc alone for a while, it'll be folding.

Or at least that's the intended function of the medium setting. https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/ClientPerformanceLevels

Other option is to add another gpu to the mix and fold with only the card that isn't going to be running youtube, games, ect.

Ya, with these new cores I have also noticed my system lagging. I usually pause one of my GPU's now when using... or set slider to medium....

Ive been putting it on the medium its just that it doesnt fold with the gpu almost ever now because of that :/

Btw, when i have it on medium it says cpu: 3 that means its using 3 cores right? But on task manager its using all of them, is it a vore 0,1,2,3 kind of thing? So its actually using all 4 cores? Also would setting the cpu to only two cores help the lag when gpu folding?