Beginner looking for camera

Ancestral

Hey everyone,

I plan on taking photography up as a hobby and I know it can get really expensive and looking for a good place to start while I take some courses in photography. The ideal things I'd like to be shooting are nature shots (sky / clouds), Urban shots of skylines, shots while on biking trips, and probably people in those environments I feel like what I'm looking for is asking a lot as I'll probably be in both day and night. I'd want to take it with me while I'm biking etc. I have my Galaxy Note 10+ which I feel like takes some good shots but I'm sure there are better options out there, I'd love some feedback and I really appreciate the time anyone gives to this! Also if anyone has some good courses / tutorials for photography that would be great also!

Thanks!

Do you have a budget in mind?

Id probably aim for a lower end mirrorless camera, so something like a m50, a6100, z50, x-s10. They will all work about the same here, and will be about the same size. 

Assuming you are looking for an interchangeable lens camera!!!

I would go for a used Canon EOS rebel, which I have, because there are a wide variety of lenses that can be had for relatively cheaply. Older Sony E-mount cameras fit into this scheme too. For DSLR you can't go much cheaper than that.

If you want something new..... 

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

something like a m50, a6100, z50, x-s10

These are all very good options^^

Hey thanks for the responses! 

@Electronics Wizardy I'm probably hoping around the $500 range but could always save up more.

@KingTdiGGiTTy is this the EOS rebel? Why would you buy used? Is there anything to look for when buying used as a beginner? 

https://www.amazon.ca/Canon-T7-18-55mm-DC-III/dp/B07C2X61N3/ref=asc_df_B07C2X61N3/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292977964938&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17654983548908234869&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001106&hvtargid=pla-492855862245&th=1

500$ sounds like most likely a used camera and glass

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

At the 500 dollar budget I'd be looking for an older DSLR. Something from around the 2011-2012 era. Since I'm a Pentax shooter I'm most familiar with that but here's an example of an excellent deal for a k5 IIs on ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174986364829

A bit over budget but it comes with a DA 15/21 Limited lenses and a 50 1.4 FA lens. As well as the 18-55 kit lens and 55-300.

You can also look at something like the 70D from canon which will be much more competent video wise if you're interested in that. I'd say for the type of shooting you want to do I'd look for listings that come with a wider lens, anywhere from about 15 to 28mm. The Nikon option I'd be looking at would be the D7200.

If you decide to buy a camera body only a lens I'd look for to buy seperately would be something like the Tamron or Sigma 17-50. Very good wide to slight telephoto lens on APSC, beating the kit lenses handily. It should be available on all mounts.

Hey everyone thanks for the responses taking it all in, being Canadian that is a bit over budget. I'm just curious what would the difference between the camera I linked from Amazon and the one you have linked from ebay @Brian McKee?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Ancestral said:

Hey everyone thanks for the responses taking it all in, being Canadian that is a bit over budget. I'm just curious what would the difference between the camera I linked from Amazon and the one you have linked from ebay @Brian McKee?

Thanks!

It's built like an absolute toy. Had friends own a low end rebel and they're just not built to take any amount of abuse.

People will argue that the image quality will be better than on an old body due to the newer sensor but really it's not a big difference. I'd say for a beginner you will want a camera you can have some faith in rather than the bottom tier garbage. The advantage of the Pentax I linked in particular is that it's weather sealed, so if you use a WR lens you can use it in the rain. Though this may not be the most important.

Plus getting an older body and making your own "kit" with another lens will get you a lens of higher quality than whatever the big photo companies pack with their kits.

Just to show that it doesn't matter in terms of IQ much, here's a picture I took recently on my first IL camera. Camera is from 2012, sensor is from 2010.

IMGP5582.jpg

On 10/23/2021 at 11:02 PM, Ancestral said:

is this the EOS rebel? Why would you buy used? Is there anything to look for when buying used as a beginner? 

That is an EOS.

I recommend buying used because you can get 98% of the performance for 30% of the cost. I got my Rebel T2i for $80 and it is similarly performant to up to the t6. When shopping the budget end, not a lot has changed in the past few years. 

When shopping for a used camera, take not of the Shutter count if it is listed in the listing, as these can wear out.

On 10/24/2021 at 12:02 PM, Ancestral said:

Hey thanks for the responses! 

@Electronics Wizardy I'm probably hoping around the $500 range but could always save up more.

@KingTdiGGiTTy is this the EOS rebel? Why would you buy used? Is there anything to look for when buying used as a beginner? 

https://www.amazon.ca/Canon-T7-18-55mm-DC-III/dp/B07C2X61N3/ref=asc_df_B07C2X61N3/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292977964938&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17654983548908234869&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001106&hvtargid=pla-492855862245&th=1

If you're looking at buying new, the EOS M50 or the EOS M200 would be much easier for the first time user. It's very similar to shooting with a phone and it offers better subject tracking / continuous autofocus when compared to most DSLRs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 11:08 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a budget in mind?

Id probably aim for a lower end mirrorless camera, so something like a m50, a6100, z50, x-s10. They will all work about the same here, and will be about the same size. 

Thank you for answering, as well as OP for asking. How much do entry level cameras differ in quality to their high budget mirrrorless counterparts?

4 hours ago, rrats said:

Thank you for answering, as well as OP for asking. How much do entry level cameras differ in quality to their high budget mirrrorless counterparts?

This reaally depends on the exact model, but typiclly the high end mirrorless cameras have things like:

-higher burst rate

-better auto focus

-better build quality

-better controls + more control dails(great for fash changing settings, keeps you from having to press a iso button for example)

-dual card slots(then a card failure won't cause lost footage)

-more menu options(also gives you more specialized options often, and some low end ones won't let you do things like have a electric shutter in manual mode)

-better io(like a pc flash port or external trigger

-better viewfinder.

The entry level cameras are fine for most hobbyiests and users, but the high end ones do add some little goodies, and make it easier to get a good shot.