Linux sucks, please change my mind!

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

https://github.com/openzfsonwindows/ZFSin/releases

Its still very work in progress but it does work.

Yep, on Server you have storage spaces which supports pretty much all kinds of software raid.

I mentioned that in the other post. This is for testing only and it has been in development for years now.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

https://github.com/openzfsonwindows/ZFSin/releases

Its still very work in progress but it does work.

Yep, on Server you have storage spaces which supports pretty much all kinds of software raid.

It seems (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/diskraid)  it supports RAID-0 RAID-1 RAID-5 and that is it.  Where is RAID-10? RAID-6? Also Server license is painfully expensive, and RAID is useful for for even a medium tier workstation. And software RAID. Hardware RAID = trouble.  (Yet ZFS eats all RAIDs for breakfast).

My parents have a robot vacuum cleaner which runs an embedded Linux kernel.  So yes, Linux does literally suck. 

As a desktop operating system, it's a perfectly usable environment provided you take the time to learn it.  People today do not know how to use a computer.  They know how to use Windows, or the know how to use MacOS, or they know how to use whatever else they use on a daily basis.  I see people who assume they're experts just because they know the ins and outs of Windows, and then they blame Linux when they are unable to figure out how to change network settings.  I have an old book about "mastering Windows 3.1"; if I learned that and only that I'd probably be raging at Microsoft for making everything so different and confusing for Windows 10.  An analogy might be: "if you know how to play the guitar, that doesn't mean you know how to play all stringed instruments".  Any operating system requires you to learn how the individual operating system does things.  And yes, there are some things that you simply cannot do.  This is true for all OS platforms. 

Gaming adds another layer of complexity.  Going back to the musical analogy, if you try to play the piano accompaniment of Kreisler's "Liebesleid" on the guitar, you'll have a hard time (because the way the two instruments operate are very different).  If you take a music sheet ("game") that's written for the piano ("Windows") and try to make it sound the same on a pipe organ ("Linux"), there's going to be a few challenges (especially if it requires all 88 keys).  It's entirely possible that you could make it work, but whether you can do so with ease depends on the specific game and how well it can adapt to the different underlying system. 

Gaming is certainly not impossible on Linux.  If you play games that were developed with native Linux support then it works great.  If you ask a game written for Windows to run on a different base system with different system calls, then you have challenges.  At that point you're not gaming, you're attempting to facilitate a computer program in a nonstandard way.  The biggest problem faced with Linux is that it is a truly open platform, meaning that depending on the author of your particular distro the "right way" to do something can be completely different from the "right way" to do something on another distro.  While Windows and MacOS (IMO) both have a crap way of doing things, they've standardized their crap and can therefore offer consistent advice across their respective ecosystems.  This is why I recommend people to take their time rather than "taking the plunge".  With Linux, you need to be flexible to some extent.  Dual boot if you have to, or run Linux in a VM and tell yourself "I'll only go back to Windows if I'm absolutely stuck". 

Huh... this reply of mine started off making some sense, but I appear to have gotten distracted half way through LOL.

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

7 hours ago, lacek said:

Thign is that if you want to casually use Linux as a desktop machines, to play games, click facebook, using linux makes no sense. But for power used that has more subtle needs like usable shell, tools that actually have CLI,  ZFS backups, then there there nothing else beyond Linux and BSD.    MacOS would sort of work, as long as costs of maintaining Apple are acceptable.

There's that elitism again.

No. Linux is not only for power users, there is literally a push to get more people on it because it CAN replace Windows for a lot of people. Steam is single handedly making gaming viable in Linux and anything with a browser can "click facebook".

Thus is why Linux has barely any market share, because when people have issues that reaaaaaly shouldn't exist in a modern OS, people come flocking in saying "well it's not for you!!!!". Until this stupid elitism disappears, Linux will never be a viable replacement.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, lacek said:

This is something for games? Yes, for games Linux makes little sense.

Very niche program, except for gamers who can't afford a better GPU.

Toys for children

Basically all of the above so far are about gaming. Thjere is plenty of software besides games. And there are Linux-compaticle mouses

Completely not true. Half of AAA games works just fine on Linux, Adobe programs - true they are not Linux - compatible.
I think you have too much of teen youtube gamer perspective.

Drivers for cheap stuff - sure. If you want to have a capture card, you buy Maxwell, they work flawlessly. I work in electric engineering and I use Linux, most of the equipment is easier to use from Linux than Windows.     Linux has CLI,  you can easily write and deploy scripts, you have ZFS.  Most of this is doable on Windows, once you convert it to Linux (WSL?), except for ZFS which i totally unavaialble.

Is there at all software RAID 5 and 6 for Windows?

I'm using Fraps for old and also new PC games and emulators.

Tell me one benchmark software that work in Linux.

Hello there OP.

You are kind of right. If you are talking about Gaming, Yes Linux sucks... (out of the box) at least for now. I think things will get better for us when the steam deck launches though.

Linux is great, very stable, very low level core structure... 

All the Linux distros most people hear of, are modified Linux...  Modified by people who love it trying to mimic Windows to improve the interface of a nice Desktop and special effects...  All these Linux distros we see online... Ubuntu, Popos, Mint, this, that... These are all third party projects. But it's kind of like Linux with makeup... Each team has a different taste... etc... Also they modify the core of the system (which breaks the system) to accommodate their modifications and implementations.

Real Linux wasn't really made to be cute. Real Linux (Raw), was made to perform Heavy Duty tasks... Like... the world runs on Linux. 

Problem is, there are many developers with different ideas, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Pop... If they all united to work in a single distribution, it'd have a chance to beat windows... 

Everyone hates windows of course, because Microsoft is stealing our data, and I hate them for that. (we can get rid of this telementry shit too... a lot of manual work dont trust these third party apps to do it all for you)

Quite honestly, if you are not a developer/programmer of at least decent caliber and if you are not familiar with C, you are in the developer's hands... or hobbiest / programmer's hands... You don't know how to modify the kernel to do what you want, so you need to wait for someone else to do it... That's the truth.

It took me about 15 hours to be able to run Rainbow Six Siege on a KVM with GPU PASSTHROUGH with out getting flagged by battle eye... I had to HEAVILY modify the kernel in Linux to hide the CPU timing and a bunch of other crap to hide the KVM... Quite honestly, it was fun... but if you are not into tinkering with 'C' you will ALWAYS depend on other people to get something fixed or implemented... But again, I program Game Cheats in Windows (hobby) since 1999, so I am used to decompiling code down to C, ASM... creating drivers, bypassing anticheats, unpacking packed executables, breaking virtualizations... I can read opcodes, I can count in base 16 (hexadecimal)...All this experience And I still had to stop everything else in my life for almost a whole day to achieve running rainbow six siege online in Linux...

So yeah, if you need an operating system to run a server or keep your privacy use linux... otherwise it's pointless.

My 3 cents:

By the way, you can get full access to the hardware via Windows too... Just manually map any Driver with out a certificate, just need to debug the Kernel for the undocumented functions and stuff... Here if it helps someone...  Here is a quick link to help people get down to Assembly with Windows Kernel ... https://www.vergiliusproject.com/kernels

The difference is that in Linux you have access to the source code in your hands, in Windows you need to de-compile it manually which is very timing consuming, but necessary to bypass anti cheats and shit.

If I had to genuinely get someone to change their mind about linux, I would start by having them set up a Minecraft headless server machine in ubuntu. It's not that hard, but you learn the file structure and bash. And it's fun to play around in your own persistent game server - or any other server project you might want to do.

Trying Ubuntu desktop for a regular machine has been super easy, because I already had experience with the difficult stuff. Besides, most of the major benefits to linux are what you can do with it outside of desktop environments.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:37 AM, ComradeIT said:

I would start by having them set up a Minecraft headless server machine in ubuntu

I think this advice really depends on the kind of person you're recommending this too. I know lots of people who would need the GUI when starting out. If the person is coming from macOS, I would only recommend the type of people who pin Terminal to their dock start with headless. Or if they're coming from Windows, I would only tell them to start headless if they know the difference between cmd and PowerShell.

Linux is great, but you've got to meet people where they're at if you want them to adopt it. And these days there are so many powerful desktop environments like KDE and Gnome that a newbie can really get a good feel for who Linux works without having to use a headless machine right off the bat.

Update Time !!!

I switched to POPos, threw out the native DE for KDE-plasma.

Everything i had problems with just works as intended now. Wine behaves itself, Steam runs smooth as hell and by sheer luck linux picked up my Xbox-one controller on the first try! I even started to get some of the stuff i'm supposed to do in the Terminal.

In short: screw Mint.... 

Thx to all of you!