ARE OLD GEN PC's THE SAME AS OLD GEN CONSOLE'S?

20 hours ago, IPD said:

Generations aren't as "locked" or compartmentalized as they are on consoles--but they still exist.  Otherwise, you'd be able to run your 486 processor with an RTX 3080.  Or run your 11th gen Intel processor with a Hercules GPU.

Of course there's generations. Shit Intel is on 12th Gen core i7. Pretty simple, they say it in every add.....

Also consoles aren't socketed. The gpu cannot be replaced. You can't "upgrade" them. Cpu as well. BGA. 

So the comparison should be direct to the year the console was released and compare the PC hardware of the same year.

Any body can mix hardware on a pc and use that for the argument there is not a pc generation.

Well, playing the game got stupid for me earlier in this thread because of that.

A 9th gen core i7 was not released when Sega dream cast was. So its stupid for me (anyways) to think comparing a console to pc with hardware made 10 years later would be an intelligent way to go about this discussion.

ARE OLD GEN PC's THE SAME AS OLD GEN CONSOLE'S?

This is simply a yes or no question. 

Yes. Yes old ass PCs and consoles are old. Doesn't matter if you want to use the word generation or not. 

Kinda, there’s a point where a platform chosen can’t be upgraded any further before you have basically a whole new machine.

Like if you bought into a Sandy bridge i5 2500 on Z67, and had a GTX 560ti.

You could reasonably upgrade that system all the way to an i7 3770K overclocked, which pairs well with a 1080ti and is still pretty competent today. But that’s the end game for that hardware. It doesn’t go any further, that’s the best processor for Z67/Z77 and any better gpu will be bottlenecked hard in many modern titles. 
The next upgrade is a whole new system, at most saving your case, cooler, psu and maybe drives.

That’s where a PC is at its “generational end”, because while you could upgrade to a new platform, that’s basically a new pc.

10 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Also consoles aren't socketed. The gpu cannot be replaced. You can't "upgrade" them. Cpu as well. BGA. 

You could upgrade the first gen Xbox with an SSD and if you could BGA solder, a better Pentium processor.

Thats entirely unreasonable and not grounds for consumer upgradability but technically you could do it.

Ive also seen someone add more ram to a PS2 but that’s also a huge annoying process that requires specialized hardware and tools.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

You could upgrade the first gen Xbox with an SSD and if you could BGA solder, a better Pentium processor.

Thats entirely unreasonable and not grounds for consumer upgradability but technically you could do it.

Ive also seen someone add more ram to a PS2 but that’s also a huge annoying process that requires specialized hardware and tools.

A pentium processor the age of an XBOX is old. You can upgrade to a slightly better OLD ass cpu. Gotcha. lol. XD

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

A pentium processor the age of an XBOX is old. You can upgrade to a slightly better OLD ass cpu. Gotcha. lol. XD

Yes, and going from a 733mhz Pentium to a 1.4ghz Pentium was actually a huge performance increase for the OG Xbox, paired with a modern IDE adapter SSD and high speed disk drive, it’s actually really impressive what can be gained if you really wanted to spend all that time modding an original Xbox 

Just now, 8tg said:

Yes, and going from a 733mhz Pentium to a 1.4ghz Pentium was actually a huge performance increase for the OG Xbox, paired with a modern IDE adapter SSD and high speed disk drive, it’s actually really impressive what can be gained if you really wanted to spend all that time modding an original Xbox 

It would probably been even faster if you could have soldered on a K7 chip. Slap a little Spitfire Duron chip in it. Yeah, now we're talking 😛

On 10/11/2021 at 6:25 AM, Blue4130 said:

A PC is the sum of many parts that are not all released on the same schedule. You could theoretically have a pc made with 20 different generations of parts. 

Yep,For example you could have a 2600K from 2011 on a Z77 motherboard from 2012,run a PCI card from 1992 and a graphics card from 2021 in a case from 2007.

Now tell me what generation is that PC 😄

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Yep,For example you could have a 2600K from 2011 on a Z77 motherboard from 2012,run a PCI card from 1992 and a graphics card from 2021 in a case from 2007.

Now tell me what generation is that PC 😄

well i think back in the day most pcs came prebuilt. the changing the case and others stuff fell under mods...and now its just common. most people back then didn't do any thing to the pc lintel they got a new faster one...

even if you wanted to change something it was too costly to do so rage pro it was... having less lag was a luxury...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 10/11/2021 at 12:28 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Consoles don't do revisions. Just generations essentially

False. There were multiple Xbox One revisions that were changes related to their storage devices.

Xbox Series have had motherboard revisions with PCB and mosfet changes.

The most recent revision with a console was the PS5's heatsink change, which turned out to be a steal because it is smaller than the original heatsink and gives worse temps.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

On 10/11/2021 at 6:28 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

Consoles don't do revisions. Just generations essentially

That's false.

For example the Playstation 3 had many revisions,

(Fat) CECHA, CECHB, CECHC, CECHE, CECHG, CECHJ, CECHK, CECHL, CECHM, CECHP, CECHQ. 

(Slim) CECH-2000, CECH-2100, CECH-2500, CECH-3000.

(Super Slim) CECH-4000, CECH-4200, CECH-4300.

and more...

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

While consoles can (somewhat) more easily be slotted into distinct, generally-agreed-upon 'generations' - with the Magnavox Odyssey being an obvious first-generation console and the Xbox Series X being an obvious ninth-generation console - consoles are generally monolithic releases with distinct competitor products, so it's much easier to group them together like that. The Mega Drive was a clear competitor to the SNES, the Sony PlayStation 2 clearly competed with the Xbox 1 (not One), they all released around the same time as each other and lasted roughly as long, etc.

There are still some muddied waters even with consoles, though, and it's largely all very arbitrary. Like, it's never really been based on 'bits', as otherwise the N64 would've been sixth-gen rather than fifth-gen. It's never been based on the game medium either, otherwise, again, the N64 would've been classed as a fourth-gen machine, and the Mega CD could've been a fifth-gen machine! It's not even, really, based on the year in which they released nor how long they lasted, nor even how powerful they are. Is the Dreamcast a late fifth-generation console, or an early sixth-generation console (it's generally agreed to be the latter, but there's been debate)? Do hardware revisions count? Is the Xbox One X an eighth-generation console, an early ninth-generation, or some kind of 8.5-gen?

And this difficulty is with monolithic, integrated system release models!

So how would you classify PCs by generation? Would you consider the first generation to have begun when the IBM PC was released, or would you have considered earlier, incompatible but similarly styled and purposed workstations? If it was the IBM PC, when would the second generation have begun? Would you base it on CPU architecture instead? If so, the 'x86 generation' would've lasted for ages, and now we'd only be into the 'second generation' with x86-64 based CPUs. What about CPU models, then? 286, 386, Pentium, etc? What about AMD, or even Cyrix? Where would they factor in? They don't/didn't always conform to Intel's release schedule, and there were some 'cross-generation' releases from both.

Maybe you could base it on CPU core numbers? But for the majority of of the PC platform's history, single-core processors were the standard. Multi-core processors are comparatively new.

You can't base it on GPUs, as for a long time PCs didn't have them. So would you begin the 'second generation' when the first 3D cards came out, then? If so, when would the third generation begin? How would they tie into CPU generations? What if a PC is running an older, pre-Zen AMD processor, and a newer RTX 3000 series GPU? 

You could conceivably group them by OS versions instead. There were the various PC DOS/MS DOS generations, then the Windows 1, Windows 2, Windows 3, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, etc generations. But there's some overlap there, as Windows 1 - 3.1 (and arguably, 95 and even 98) ran atop MS DOS. And what about alternative operating systems like Linux? How would PCs running Linux fit in with that generational system? And what about PCs with modern hardware running older OS versions? If I built a PC with an i9 11900 and an RTX 3080, then installed Windows 7 on it, where would that fit in?

You can't even, realistically, base it on the year in which components were released, as a single machine could straddle multiple 'generations' of hardware. 

You could simply peg it against console generations for the sake of simplicity. So, any PC built in the same agreed-upon era as the sixth-generation of consoles would be a sixth-generation PC, regardless of its power, components, or OS. Unfortunately, the first console generation started almost ten years before the IBM PC was released, and the IBM PC was released a year after that generation is largely agreed to have ended. So the first ever PC would... be... a second-generation PC?

Given the complexities involved and the lack of any real benefit in categorising PCs in this way in the first place, I don't really see why you'd try!

7 hours ago, Vishera said:

That's false.

For example the Playstation 3 had many revisions,

(Fat) CECHA, CECHB, CECHC, CECHE, CECHG, CECHJ, CECHK, CECHL, CECHM, CECHP, CECHQ. 

(Slim) CECH-2000, CECH-2100, CECH-2500, CECH-3000.

(Super Slim) CECH-4000, CECH-4200, CECH-4300.

and more...

Right gotcha. Like the CECH 2100 didn't have as many USB ports as the 2500 or something? 

Well of course computers have generations but computers go through generations faster than consoles and consoles do longer leaps from one generation to the next. Also it is possible to combine generations on a PC, if I got a 30xx card now and put it in my PC I would have the latest gen GPU but an older gen CPU and it wouldn't even be a problem. Also computers have different tiers of components so an older gen PC can be faster than a newer gen entry level computer.

TLDR; yes, but it's different.

I built my current PC last November and used my GTX 980 Classified in it until the middle of August when I was able to buy a GPU. My 980 went into my 3rd gen i7 rig that had a GTX 580 in it.  If you don't game using an old card in a new system is fine.  That 3rd gen system still feels quick, obviously not like what we have today.. Now if I load up GTA V on my first gen PS4, it is painful AF and it looks like trash 😄

But using my old 580 in my new system is a bit of a problem. It will let me into UEFI after a few tries, but it feels more like a safe mode, movements are slow and text is larger. Not happy.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 10/11/2021 at 7:07 AM, YungaYunga said:

Hello so I'm have a debate with a few of my friends about generations. 

And he said there no such thing call Old Gen pcs. which I disagree because there generational CPU's, GPU's, and RAM to allow you to run games which depending on which components you have will offer a different experience.

Than the other friend said its not the same because you have to buy another console and pc you have to just upgrade parts which I disagree again because depending on which components your upgrading you have to make sure there compatible with the MB to run which is the same as buying another console. Is Im wrong in debate? Let me know what you think? do you agree or disagree?

Can sany one help me

8 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Right gotcha. Like the CECH 2100 didn't have as many USB ports as the 2500 or something? 

No,if you look at the boards you will notice the differences:

Front side

Spoiler

CECH-2100 front:

SUR-001_%28top_view%29.jpg

CECH-2500 front:

JTP-001_%28top_view%29.jpg

Back side:

Spoiler

CECH-2100 back:

SUR-001_%28bottom_view%29.jpg

CECH-2500 back:

JTP-001_%28bottom_view%29.jpg

36 minutes ago, Vishera said:

No,if you look at the boards you will notice the differences:

Front side

Reveal hidden contents

CECH-2100 front:

SUR-001_%28top_view%29.jpg

CECH-2500 front:

JTP-001_%28top_view%29.jpg

Back side:

Reveal hidden contents

CECH-2100 back:

SUR-001_%28bottom_view%29.jpg

CECH-2500 back:

JTP-001_%28bottom_view%29.jpg

They look different doesn't tell me what I'm looking at really....

Looks like some upgrades though for sure. 

yes but no, but yes but no.

consoles are sometimes the easier upgrade paths for PC stuff, if the console becomes more like a PC and upgrade a whole package.

Although, this is more and more of a thing due to consoles becoming more "PC" too.

From softwares back then and support, to how it is now.

As with PC, sometimes the most expensive things can be wasted dollars when new tech comes around the corner that might give 2x or use a totally different system. Which makes the old tech either useless or less performance. But you got a lot more options with PC and you can sort of do more with their older generations than consoles. even if older consoles got a lot of good stuff on them, when it comes to games. but that is about it, with little support (at least less DRM and always online games).

as one would find out, if one goes to a new area without internet, that taking with your xbox 360 or PS3 compared to PS5 or other stuff, would do a lot better than some other platforms that "need" the internet connection.