GPU broken by a company that was SUPPOSE to fix it.

NotSo

**** update **** I have talked to the owner of the store, and he said he would match me dollar for dollar on a new GPU... Which I guess is better than nothing. He seemed like he wasn't very happy with his staff, but I guess this allows me to possibly upgrade from this situation. Thanks for the help guys, and if I CAN still get help possibly getting the card to work right that would be SUPER RAD so I'm gonna leave this open so this card can still get fixed if it's possible.

I recently had an encounter where some of the the Sauder on my PCB for my RTX 2070 was corroded, I personally didn't have access to tools to fix it myself.

I went back later that day and they broke my PCB into 6 flippin pieces and all they offered me was an rx570 as compensation.

Now I am left with a GPU that can hardly run ANY of the games I play. Sadly because I signed a waiver I don't think there is anything I can legally do.

So I'm fairly certain that since the PCB is broken my card is toast and I am absolutely distraught. I saved my money for a whole year to buy that card just to have it break due to negligence to do their job properly.

Any ideas on what I can do given my current situation?

Yes I am already working on buying a new GPU... But if anyone has any tips to make the rx570 at least function better. I am personally not familiar with AMD cards and been having nothing but issues with the card they gave me, took almost 6 hours to install the drivers properly.

Just as reference I can hardly get 60 fps in black desert online which is from 2014 so the card SHOULD be able to run it better than it is. Atm I can't even get 60 fps on very low settings.

Edited by NotSo

You perhaps should have asked for monetary compensation or taken them to something like a small claims court if they started being difficult. However, they offered a replacement and you accepted it, so since you've already accepted the RX570 I believe legally it's settled and you can't really claim anything anymore.

Additionally, while bitter, you're sort of lucky there were even capable of offering you an half decent GPU in the current market.

14 minutes ago, NotSo said:

Just as reference I can hardly get 60 fps in black desert online which is from 2014 so the card SHOULD be able to run it better than it is. Atm I can't even get 60 fps on very low settings.

Full system specs would be good to have. What is the GPU load? Is Vsync turned off?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

DO you have photos of what hey did to the GPU?

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

ANY help is greatly appreciated 😊

Sadly I don't have any pics of the card other

1 minute ago, tikker said:

You perhaps should have asked for monetary compensation or taken them to something like a small claims court if they started being difficult. However, they offered a replacement and you accepted it, so since you've already accepted the RX570 I believe legally it's settled and you can't really claim anything anymore.

Additionally, while bitter, you're sort of lucky there were even capable of offering you an half decent GPU in the current market.

Full system specs would be good to have. What is the GPU load? Is Vsync turned off?

Yeah, sorry I'm new to the LTT forums, I normally don't have issues.

Yes v-sync is disabled... Full specs below

Core i5 9400f

16gb ddr4 vengeance pro ram

Rx 570 

Corsair 850w modular power supply (not sure model, would have to open my PC)

1tb sata ssd, 2tb HDD, and 500gb nvme.

I am 100% being throttled by GPU performance... I honestly don't think the GPU is even functioning properly.

23 minutes ago, NotSo said:

at 1920x1080? did you uninstall the NVidia driver through DDU? Checking the RX 570 through GPU-z would be helpful too

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

DO you have photos of what hey did to the GPU?

No sadly I do not, I am going to call them and ask for the broken GPU back.

But off hand It looked like they dropped it, the PCB broke into 6 pieces and the diode came out completely.

6 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

at 1920x1080? did you uninstall the NVidia driver through DDU? Checking the RX 570 through GPU-z would be helpful too

Yes I did, I had to use ddu like 4 times or more when installing the driver and even after the driver was installed I had to use a patch to get Radeon software to run.

And yes I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers before sending my GPU in for repair.

I have the card SLIGHTLY ocd but like I said I'm not familiar with AMD cards so I only pushed it 5% so I didn't put too much load on the card.

But like from YouTube videos posted the card SHOULD be able to run remastered in BDO at 60 fps... But I can't even get close to that performance.

Also GPU-z isn't showing anything particularly wrong, everything SEEMS in order.

15 minutes ago, tikker said:

Also yes I have a family member who is a lawyer, they are reading over the waiver I signed for any loopholes... But essentially it states that they are not responsible for any further damage to products.

Yeah I'm "lucky" for receiving a MAYBE $400 card in replacement of my $800 card after paying them 100 to "fix" it.

Sorry if that came out salty, I'm just in a mood which I'm sure you could understand given my current situation.

6 minutes ago, NotSo said:

Also yes I have a family member who is a lawyer, they are reading over the waiver I signed for any loopholes... But essentially it states that they are not responsible for any further damage to products.

Yeah I'm "lucky" for receiving a MAYBE $400 card in replacement of my $800 card after paying them 100 to "fix" it.

Sorry if that came out salty, I'm just in a mood which I'm sure you could understand given my current situation.

OK but what Variant of the RX570 do you have?. I got a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 8GB and if you undervolt it with the AMD software, it will give you 1~3% less FPS but will not stutter or overheat above 64°C when max GPU usage 90-100%. Btw; you can download MAGPIE from github (https://github.com/Blinue/Magpie/releases) it will boost your AMD experience once you know how to enable FSR.

1 minute ago, neverpreodergames said:

OK but what Variant of the RX570 do you have?. I got a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 8GB and if you undervolt it with the AMD software, it will give you 1~3% less FPS but will not stutter or overheat above 64°C when max GPU usage 90-100%. Btw; you can download MAGPIE from github (https://github.com/Blinue/Magpie/releases) it will boost your AMD experience once you know how to enable FSR.

I will check out magpie here shortly, just on my phone right now cause my PC just makes me depressed.

And the EXACT model is "Radeon RX 570 Armor 8g OC"

7 minutes ago, neverpreodergames said:

Hey man, just downloaded magpie but I have no clue what I'm looking at or how to use the program is there any good tutorials or can you help me figure out what to do?

well, i had a rx580 , also armor iirc, and i wasn't happy with it at all, played none of my games at 60fps, and no, I didn't try to overclock anything, I also thought the card is kinda broken... 

Funny enough my 1060 (gaming x) was able to play all these games at 60fps no problem...

I later had a 5500xt,  that was better,  but it couldn't hold 60fps either,  whenever there was a bit more action random drops, and i did try undervolting which improved things, but still drops... 

Maybe FSR improves things but in my experience AMD cards just aren't that good as people claim... fun fact: both cards were great at benchmarks,  it was just games they were literally underperforming heavily.

Of course I kept neither,  since I already had better performing Nvidia cards...

Tldr: try FSR, otherwise no idea, sorry.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

well, i had a rx580 , also armor iirc, and i wasn't happy with it at all, played none of my games at 60fps, and no, I didn't try to overclock anything, I also thought the card is kinda broken... 

Funny enough my 1060 (gaming x) was able to play all these games at 60fps no problem...

I later had a 5500xt,  that was better,  but it couldn't hold 60fps either,  whenever there was a bit more action random drops, and i did try undervolting which improved things, but still drops... 

Maybe FSR improves things but in my experience AMD cards just aren't that good as people claim... fun fact: both cards were great at benchmarks,  it was just games they were literally underperforming heavily.

Of course I kept neither,  since I already had better performing Nvidia cards...

Yeah my old GTX 1050 performed WAY better than this.

I pretty much went from playing cyberpunk at max settings to playing pokemon ROMs cuz that's all it can flippin run.

Gonna try FSR if that doesn't help then I'm boned it seems.

Update: I tried magpie with no such luck doesn't work for any games that I play... So it really seems like I got scammed.

Le sigh, oh well.... Thanks for the help guys... Probs gonna go cry now. T-T

59 minutes ago, NotSo said:

Well yeah, it's a downgrade and it sucks. I'm just saying in a time where you'd easily be paying $800 if you were buying a low end budget card you at least have a GPU.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, tikker said:

Well yeah, it's a downgrade and it sucks. I'm just saying in a time where you'd easily be paying $800 if you were buying a low end budget card you at least have a GPU.there are RTX 2070 and RTX 3070's on Amazon for the 900 to 1200 range... That isn't exactly low end or budget. That is a mid range card, and I got given something that is performing WORSE than a GTX 1050

I dont think this is Just because it is an AMD card as some people are stating

I have had both a 570 and a 580 (both where amour 8g) and both trade blows with a 1060 (Gaming X) I do believe something is wrong with your card it should EASILY be able to beat a 1050 if my card can beat a 1060

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

xperience AMD cards just aren't that good as people claim

TBH i dont know whats wrong but its def not the cards
maybe it has somthing to do with a setting you have touched

I know for a fact if you OC the memory it can get slower because of heat

Was this a local PC repair shop? Any reason you didn't return it to the manufacturer while under warranty?

How did you know the solder was bad? 

2 hours ago, NotSo said:

But off hand It looked like they dropped it, the PCB broke into 6 pieces and the diode came out completely.

I've dropped graphics cards before and they've never exploded in to half a dozen pieces. Did they send you a photo of it or did you see it for yourself in person? 

Something doesn't add up here.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

What do you mean by "corroded" solder?

Did it gave you a problem because of that?

I've had plenty of cards through the years, and I find it hard to believe how an RTX 2070 would have crappy solder.

I hope you get some photos and post them here, your story seems a bit fishy.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

A 570 for a 2070 that they destroyed beyond repairs?

First off, they should've given back the card, even if it was damaged. The fact they did not, makes me think they lied and are planning to sell it. They are 100% screwing you over on this one and you should be compensated for the value of the card, not given some low tier GPU as replacement.
If they are unresponsive, you can sue them in small claim court for that one. Doesn't cost a lot, get all your facts straight, get proof of everything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

May I know those games you were trying to reach 60FPS, Resolutions, and Graphic settings (low-ultra) please.
Because I got my GPU for $160 on August/2019 and it runs 1080p just fine.

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

Was this a local PC repair shop? Any reason you didn't return it to the manufacturer while under warranty?

How did you know the solder was bad? 

I've dropped graphics cards before and they've never exploded in to half a dozen pieces. Did they send you a photo of it or did you see it for yourself in person? 

Something doesn't add up here.

Yes I seen it in person, it was definately my card, I could tell because I wrote "NSF" under the fan chassis and on the PCB by the outputs where there was nothing on the PCB in invisible ink.

I also feel like something doesn't add up here... Because a simple saudering job has now put me under about $800. And yeah after further inspection is seems the card they gave me as "reimbursement" is faulty.

I'm constantly getting bsods, driver crashes... The works... I can't even game right now unless it's on my phone.

16 hours ago, IsaacisWeeb said:

I dont think this is Just because it is an AMD card as some people are stating

I have had both a 570 and a 580 (both where amour 8g) and both trade blows with a 1060 (Gaming X) I do believe something is wrong with your card it should EASILY be able to beat a 1050 if my card can beat a 1060

TBH i dont know whats wrong but its def not the cards
maybe it has somthing to do with a setting you have touched

I know for a fact if you OC the memory it can get slower because of heat

I have since factory reset everything using amd utility... and even ddu since. The driver won't even install properly unless I use a patch for the driver.

15 hours ago, neverpreodergames said:

May I know those games you were trying to reach 60FPS, Resolutions, and Graphic settings (low-ultra) please.
Because I got my GPU for $160 on August/2019 and it runs 1080p just fine.

I'm trying to play "black desert online" and 1920x1080 res, on VERY low settings, turned off all extra shadows and everything and I MAYBE hit 55 fps... Like a BIG maybe. Usually hovering around 30-40 which is just unplayable for a PVP based MMORPGs.

Note this game works at almost 200 fps with my rig with a GTX 1050 on Very low.

So I really don't think this card is working properly.

15 hours ago, TetraSky said:

A 570 for a 2070 that they destroyed beyond repairs?

First off, they should've given back the card, even if it was damaged. The fact they did not, makes me think they lied and are planning to sell it. They are 100% screwing you over on this one and you should be compensated for the value of the card, not given some low tier GPU as replacement.
If they are unresponsive, you can sue them in small claim court for that one. Doesn't cost a lot, get all your facts straight, get proof of everything.

Working on it right now, but I signed a waiver and it was DEFINATELY my card that was broken because I marked both the fan chassis and PCB by the display out with invis ink when I got the card. And I checked for it when they showed it to me and one of the pieces of the PCB was broken RIGHT through the mark I made on the PCB.

Atm my lawyer doesn't think I can do anything unless I can somehow prove they did it purposefully.

Honestly I've been on and off crying all morning... I absolutely CANNOT afford to replace the card right now and I save up for a year to buy that one... So I'm really truly heartbroken right now. That was the first decent GPU I ever bought myself... Let alone one of the few nice things I have ever bought for myself.

7 minutes ago, NotSo said:

I have since factory reset everything using amd utility... and even ddu since. The driver won't even install properly unless I use a patch for the driver.

What does GPU-Z say about the rx570?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

48 minutes ago, GoldSrc said:

What do you mean by "corroded" solder?

Did it gave you a problem because of that?

I've had plenty of cards through the years, and I find it hard to believe how an RTX 2070 would have crappy solder.

I hope you get some photos and post them here, your story seems a bit fishy.

What happened was I had a friend over, they left a pop on my PC I didn't notice right away, I took it off AS SOON as I noticed. But it was too late, condensation dropped through my aio and had dropped onto the card, I removed power IMMEDIATELY. The card in fact was in working condition when I gave it to them, I just simply wanted the Sauder replaced as it was SLIGHTLY corroded where the water touched.

I thought I would take the remainder of my money to get it fixed, was a simple job... Coulda done it myself if I had the tools...

So essentially I paid them 50 to do an easy fix that should have only taken an hour or 2. I went back to pick it up and they told me it was broken and the Rx 570 was the best they could give me as a replacement.

Regardless I'm pretty upset by this whole situation.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What does GPU-Z say about the rx570?

GPU-z doesn't seem to give anything irregular, my PC is off right now because looking at it is kinda just making me depressed.

GPU z recognizes the GPU perfectly fine, everything SEEMS in order.