My new Custom built AMD Ryzen 5800X and RTX 3060 Gaming PC

Believe it or not this is the first time that I’ve built a Custom Gaming PC for myself, thus far I’ve only personally owned Prebuilts (HP Towers), Barebones (Intel NUCs, Chromeboxes and that Zotac Zbox with a GTX 1060), Notebooks, 2 in 1 Notebooks, Windows Tablets and an iPad. I have built a couple of fully Custom PCs in the past for Customers so I do have enough experience from it and of course from disassembling my own Prebuilts and Barebones but the majority of the knowledge is from Linus Tech Tips videos of course.

So Specs and what I paid for them are as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X = 385,50 Euros on Amazon 

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair 8 Impact = 298,66 Euros on Amazon

RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade 64GB (2x32GB) 3200MHz = 241,90 Euros on Amazon

GPU: Palit Geforce RTX 3060 Dual 12 GB with the OG GA106-300 die = 452 Euros via my friend @AluminiumTech from the UK

Case: Fractal ARC Mini R2 digitec Edition = 27 Euros

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 2TB = 316,67 Euros on Amazon

PSU: Seasonic Prime 1000 PX 80+ Platinum = 223,55 Euros on digitec galaxus

Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Chromax.Black = 79,90 Euros on Amazon

and 5x NF-A12x15 PWM Fans in Chromax.Black = 124,50 Euros on Amazon with one being 24,90 Euros.

With the total being = 2’149.68‬ Euros or 2307.83 CHF (which is what I actually ended up paying) or 2488.12 USD or 3103.13 CAD (oh you poor Maple Sirup Dollar lol) 

Windows 10 Pro license = Free since my Brother has access to a Database of them because of his job and no one will notice if 5 of those go missing a year out of thousands of activation keys lol. Yes, for some reason I think I used over 5 activation keys in the past 2 to 3 years. 

Only the Case is technically used since it was first used by digitec galaxus (my Swiss Tech Retailer of choice) to be built in back in 2013 when their own PC line still had cases with the digitec logo pressed in on the side panels. So they never sold around 200 of these Cases and then they ended up in a Corner of their huge Warehouse, then they were found again in late 2019 and they fire sold them for 27 bucks and I was lucky to get one. 

And then I also bought the Roccat Sova Lapboard Gaming Keyboard which was 69.70 CHF or 64.92 Euros or 75.14 USD or 93.71 CAD.

Showing off the loot which has been acquired in a time frame of about 2 years: First the Case, then GPU and all the rest in the end just recently:

IMG_E0758.JPG

The WiFi antenna looks like a shark fin:

IMG_E0759.JPG

I absolutely hate how AMD marks the triangle on their AM4 socket. Like the whole triangle is just embeeded in the plasitc "frame" of the socket which is also grey. My Vision is already bad enough... Please just color code it like it is on the CPU itself:

IMG_E0760.JPG

My Thermal paste application of choice. The amazing NT-H2 has been used of course:

IMG_E0761.JPG

That fan cable is a bit too long for the Tower Cooler fan:

IMG_E0762.JPG

Assembling the fans. I went with the Red corners to make a Red and Black theme: Also iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit FTW !

IMG_E0763.JPG

Welcome to my OnlyFans:

IMG_E0764.JPG

All that blowing power in a nice, sexy package:

IMG_E0765.JPG

That's basically the whole PC without the PSU and Fans of course. A dense dance indeed:

IMG_E0766.JPG

IMG_E0767.JPG

POST on First Boot !

IMG_E0768.JPG

Now that all of the Drivers have been installed everything works as pie. Nothing DOA, f u Covid !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

The Test Setup on a Fan Box inside my TV Cabinet. Yes I built that TV Cabinet myself to spec to the size of the feet of my TV:

IMG_E0771.JPG

Setting up Windows 10, always hate that process:

IMG_E0772.JPG

IMG_E0773.JPG

Moved the PC to the Desk and then remoted into it using Windows RDP:

IMG_E0777.JPG

Now to move the Components into the Case itself:

IMG_E0778.JPG

Removed the Cables of the integrated Fan Controller since I need one with 4 Pin PWM:

IMG_E0779.JPG

This is using Molex anyways so yikes:

IMG_E0780.JPG

Removing the Stupid Labels Noctua has to put on the extension cables of their Fans:

IMG_E0781.JPG

So this is the Soundcard of the MoBo and this standoff screw combo moves the cover plate around when you try to close the thing up again:

IMG_E0783.JPG

Also you have to take the damn thing out in the first place to plug in front panel audio:

IMG_E0784.JPG

IMG_E0785.JPG

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Time for Cable managment: 

IMG_E0786.JPG

IMG_E0788.JPG

I've never seen a PC Fan without pre drilled fan screw holes so the hell ?

IMG_E0789.JPG

IMG_E0790.JPG

This is where the 5th Noctua Fan would go if I had a 4 Pin PWM Fan Controller which didn't catch on fire or explode: 

IMG_E0793.JPG

(I hope you got that meme reference)

IMG_E0795.JPG

Pretty sexy cable management for stock cables, eh ?

IMG_E0796.JPG

The MoBo came with a 20% CableMod Coupon Code so that will be used. You can recommend me some Cable designs if you'd like.

IMG_E0797.JPG

Now all that's left is to sticker bomb both side panels since I have lots of cool and funny stickers and to buy a Monitor and Fan Hub. Will also start Folding and mine using Nicehash to make some of that money back. Getting back to trying out different Linux Distros and perhaps even getting back into programming is something I'm also looking forward to. 

1243772757_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.8f1dc3192e6c9095940a062bce638a48.png

932063656_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.9203ea7a340e00a67460a1c09648f246.png

1752576797_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.012ce79d35bd55e9a0438b53f7ea9251.png

Love the auesthetic of this build.

I wanted to mention a little trick for cable management - a lot of thinner cables can run with no interference under the motherboard (especially front panel connectors, but you can even sneak the front panel audio cable in there sometimes). Flat ribbon cables like the PCI-e power for your GPU will fit too.

With the smaller motherboard you are using you could also run the 24pin, CPU 8pin and USB 3.0 (with a looser bend as that thing never does what you want it to do) through the cutout for the CPU cooler backplate.

I'm not sure I described it properly, so I threw together a quick edit in Paint to show what it would look like (well, more of the cables would be visible but it's hard to create bends in paint 😄).

cables.thumb.jpg.bea3a7c0401289e3c57feed2c25f9deb.jpg

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

2 hours ago, DJ46 said:

Love the auesthetic of this build.

I wanted to mention a little trick for cable management - a lot of thinner cables can run with no interference under the motherboard (especially front panel connectors, but you can even sneak the front panel audio cable in there sometimes). Flat ribbon cables like the PCI-e power for your GPU will fit too.

With the smaller motherboard you are using you could also run the 24pin, CPU 8pin and USB 3.0 (with a looser bend as that thing never does what you want it to do) through the cutout for the CPU cooler backplate.

I'm not sure I described it properly, so I threw together a quick edit in Paint to show what it would look like (well, more of the cables would be visible but it's hard to create bends in paint 😄).

cables.thumb.jpg.bea3a7c0401289e3c57feed2c25f9deb.jpg

Hey, thanks for your tip. I'm gonna do a better job at Cable mangament once I have a good Fan Controller and Custom Cable Mod Cables.

55 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

Hey, thanks for your tip. I'm gonna do a better job at Cable mangament once I have a good Fan Controller and Custom Cable Mod Cables.

Oooh custom cables, can't wait to see how it will look with those!

You've already managed it very well for stock cables, now that I think about it the bend I recommended probably isn't even possible with the stock 24pin.

I'm pretty sure an 8mm steel rod is easier to bend, nevermind less likely to break while doing so.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

On 10/9/2021 at 2:51 PM, soldier_ph said:

I've never seen a PC Fan without pre drilled fan screw holes so the hell ?

IMG_E0789.JPG

Not as uncommon as you may think. Many of the case fans on the market come with those self-tapping screws; fans that are for RADs usually come with the thinner+ longer screws, and CPU towers tend to use clamps, claps or brackets. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 10/10/2021 at 2:51 AM, soldier_ph said:

T

IMG_E0796.JPG

Seems way to big and empty for my taste. 

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Seems way to big and empty for my taste. 

I'd agree with you but years ago before the Fractal launched the C cases there were plenty of builds with this much empty space up front and noone batted an eye.

The alternative for this build would be the Nano but IMO it would put the GPU too close to the PSU for comfort.

Having the rear fan totally obstructed on an RTX card doesn't sound like a great idea.

• 2 months later...

Forgot to post pictures of the Cable Mod Cables:

Before and after from the back:

IMG_0928.thumb.JPG.31e8413b8e72701c22920593f884a3e5.JPG

IMG_0929.thumb.JPG.de6872f2c0a7445277a56b315dc91c5a.JPG

Before and after from the front:

IMG_0927.thumb.JPG.a42e51150abe35d7a17dff6993b91d10.JPG

IMG_E0930.thumb.JPG.d2b354e51d12b841914d30d72d23bbc4.JPG