Can a bad piece of software kill a motherboard?

Hello everyone,

I fucked up 2 motherboards within 2 months, First was a Gigabyte B360M with i5 8400 installed and the another was a dell optiplex with i3 2120 installed.

The common thing was a 5$ 450 watt PSU, and crucial ssd running linux mint and YouTube when both died crashing the video. The PSU still works, so I don't think it killed them that much.

So the question is,

Can a bad software or glitch kill a motherboard?

Just now, James Evens said:

$5 PSU already sounds suspicious.

And I wouldn't trust a $5 PSU supplying power to a couple hundred dollars, potentially thousands, of computer components. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 minutes ago, Parvesh Khatri said:

Yeah, its a generic one from china. But it works fine.

"PSU works fine"

"I have mysteriously killed 2 motherboards in the recent past"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

Generic China $5 480W PSU doesn't sound more trustworthy.

Bad PSU e.g. high ripple have a real chance to damage the hardware.

How much should I spend on a 450 watt PSU?

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

"PSU works fine"

"I have mysteriously killed 2 motherboards in the recent past"

I'm running 3rd motherboard on it 😉

58 minutes ago, Parvesh Khatri said:

I'm running 3rd motherboard on it 😉

I was going to say this PSU only needs one more victim to qualify as a serial killer but apparently just two is the minimum. Weak. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

my dad once got a ocz 1000 wat psu for $40....and lasted say 6 moths and he told me it was still under warranty and wanted to get another.. i agave him the look.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

As noted, its more likely that PSU is the reason, not software. For software, motherboard doesn't really exist. Software doesn't make that kind of changes that would affect. It's not like with GPUs where drivers and software can have very direct effects. With motherboard, you are more likely to see issues with CPU, RAM and storage if the software would be the cause.

But with PSU constantly delivering power through at least 2 connections with mobo, much more likely to cause issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv