850w enough?

I'm currently looking at if my psu is going to be enough for my upcoming build. I've looked all over but considering the absolute unit I'm of a machine I'm trying to accomplish i can't find any solid info on what im going to need.

Specs:

Cpu: Intel i7-11700kf

Motherboard: asus rog maximus viii glacial extreme

Gpu: asus rog strix 3090 oc white edition

Memory: 4 x gskill trident z royal elite 16gb 3600mhz cl16

Storage: 2x samsung 980 pro 1tb nvme, 2x wd 750 1tb nvme

Psu: asus rog strix 850w 80+ gold

Cooling: g1 distro plate, 7x lian li sl120

Just looking at tdp of the components tells me I should be fine with the 850 but if I consider overclocking will I run into issues if I don't put a 1000w in it? The psu is the only piece of hardware coming from my old pc which is why I have it in the parts list.

None of the online Power supply calculators i tried seemed to be all that helpful

Cheers

Robert

850w is enough but not with a to expensive Seasonic based unit like the ROG Strix with it's crappy fan and heatsinks. Better get a Corsair RM850x, XPG Core Reactor or Super Flower Leadex III.

i would change the psu, rtx 3090 wont play well with the Seasonic focus

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

59 minutes ago, Drkblade said:

Just looking at tdp of the components tells me I should be fine with the 850 but if I consider overclocking will I run into issues if I don't put a 1000w in it? The psu is the only piece of hardware coming from my old pc which is why I have it in the parts list.

Try running Furmark and Prime95 at the same time. Does it shut down? If not, you can use it as is.

52 minutes ago, Drkblade said:

The psu is the only piece of hardware coming from my old pc which is why I have it in the parts list.

If you already have the PSU then I would recommend giving it a go. If it works then fantastic you don't need to change it. If you get random shutdowns when the system is under load then you might need to look at replacing it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Drkblade said:

Specs:

Cpu: Intel i7-11700kf

Motherboard: asus rog maximus viii glacial extreme

Gpu: asus rog strix 3090 oc white edition

Memory: 4 x gskill trident z royal elite 16gb 3600mhz cl16

Storage: 2x samsung 980 pro 1tb nvme, 2x wd 750 1tb nvme

Cooling: g1 distro plate, 7x lian li sl120

Value wise id say 0/10

Based on the other parts this is an overclocking build so intel does make sense here, maybe go for a 10850k if you want 10 cores

Rams are horrendous in value though they should be good oc rams cause i think these rams go up to 5333mhz (obv extreme cooling required), dont bother unless you are trying to overclock

Cpu suggests that this is a gaming machine so 980 pro is not gonna give you any noticable performance increase, only if you run server like workloads and regularly transfer massive files, why even add sn750 to the mix? Ssd choice is kinda confusing

Horrible value psu, prob just some seasonic rebrand but overpriced cause rog, atleast it wont blow up but you can get 1000w psus for the same price

So based on the parts this is an overclocking + gaming + workstation build?

Im confused

Better value exists but im gonna assume this is a build for a build competition considering the parts

Psu wise since its an overclocking build (i assume) then id say just get 1000w to be safe cause 3090 and 11700 are power hogs, esp when overclocked

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

So based on the parts this is an overclocking + gaming + workstation build?

It's a I've been purchasing parts for about 6 months only when I get them on sale/decent price build. The 850 pros i got from a friend that bought then for his work build and then his company just bought him a prebuilt monster so I got them for about half price. Almost all the parts follow that trend except the motherboard/gpu. I am going to be mostly gaming but doing rendering as a hobby on the side. 

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

If you already have the PSU then I would recommend giving it a go. If it works then fantastic you don't need to change it. If you get random shutdowns when the system is under load then you might need to look at replacing it.

Thanks I'll give it a go and see what happens, at least there isn't a shortage of 1000w psu here so I'll be able to switch it quick if I run into issues. 

I know the parts aren't value/matched properly but I was going a lot off of looks/what I could get on sale(while still being a monster OC build)

Cheers everyone

4 hours ago, Drkblade said:

id swap this out for something like a A850GF, Revolution DF 850w, or RM850x. 

or depending on pricing, an HX850 might be worthwhile. The Rog strix 850w, is just a Focus rebrand, and its questionable if it has the issues with tripping on Ampere GPUs. 

edit: likely worth checking out the 5800x or 10900k/10850k, the 11700k is typically not worthwhile in favor of other options. 

54 minutes ago, Drkblade said:

It's a I've been purchasing parts for about 6 months only when I get them on sale/decent price build. The 850 pros i got from a friend that bought then for his work build and then his company just bought him a prebuilt monster so I got them for about half price. Almost all the parts follow that trend except the motherboard/gpu. I am going to be mostly gaming but doing rendering as a hobby on the side. 

Thanks I'll give it a go and see what happens, at least there isn't a shortage of 1000w psu here so I'll be able to switch it quick if I run into issues. 

I know the parts aren't value/matched properly but I was going a lot off of looks/what I could get on sale(while still being a monster OC build)

Cheers everyone

Now i see why the parts are such (normally) bad value choices, cause you are getting them on sale .-. Hence their value becomes ok-good

What parts do you currently have?

And if you are gonna be doing a heavy ocing build, how many rads will you have and what size? Plus theres also the case to consider, what case are you gonna get?

18 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Now i see why the parts are such (normally) bad value choices, cause you are getting them on sale .-. Hence their value becomes ok-good

What parts do you currently have?

And if you are gonna be doing a heavy ocing build, how many rads will you have and what size? Plus theres also the case to consider, what case are you gonna get?

I have all the parts except the waterblock for the gpu. I'm building in an inverted o11d xl and I have 2 360 corsair slim rads since it's the only ones i could get in white here. 

Heres a progress shot from last week, I've changed the fan orientation and added cpu tubes since then

20210919_143014.jpg

12 minutes ago, Drkblade said:

I have all the parts except the waterblock for the gpu. I'm building in an inverted o11d xl and I have 2 360 corsair slim rads since it's the only ones i could get in white here. 

Heres a progress shot from last week, I've changed the fan orientation and added cpu tubes since then

20210919_143014.jpg

Would be a pretty good contestant for a build competition, and also a solid overclocker

Maybe get thiccer rads and hydro dip them white so better ocing, though i think thats only neccesary when you are really pushing your overclocks

I think you should just insert a placeholder gpu and tune your cpu while your gpu waterblock is being delivered cause ocing can take days to find an optimal setting

And yes it really does take a looong time to get an oc right but thats mostly because you need to test and incrementally increase voltages till you find an optimal setting, best testing program for cpus is prime95 using the small ffts torture test