Looking for Advice: Low-ish budget PC, primarily for video-editing

Mopus

1. Budget & Location

$1500-1900 AUD ($1000-$1350 USD), Australia

2. Aim

I'd need power for video editing (mostly 1080p, some 4k) in Premiere Pro and After Effects. Obviously want it to run fast for browsing/media consumption. Gaming isn't really a focus.

3. Key Questions

Is it worth spending more up front for a better CPU (Ryzen 7 5800X vs Ryzen 5 3600)? Should I save money on HDD/RAM to get a nicer monitor/upgrade CPU/GPU? + are these parts any good?

Here's what I've compiled so far (startling similarity to the options from an old LTT video because I have no clue what I'm doing)

Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mid-Tower Case

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 5800X

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX

SSD: Sabrent Rocket Pro NVME 512 GB

HDD: Seagate IronWolf NAS 3 TB

GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 1660 ti

PSU: Corsair CXM 650W ATX

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM

I'd like to move up to 32gb ram a some point (for after effects), but unless I compromise on CPU I can't afford it.

I would love some feedback/tips as I'm really not quite sure how to go about this. I just can't stomach the premium that comes with prebuilts.

Thanks!

for video editing the important things are good monitor for color accuracy, good cpu (i think adobe premiere works better/faster with intel but that could have changed so idk anymore since this is based on older information), at least above average ssd write speed, hdd for storing large video files, large ram (not necessarily fast). so look at these first, then part out the rest of the system.

if this computer is not for gaming, then a color accurate monitor should be probably somewhere around 130-200$ but idrk

To be real, That ain't good system 😞

This perfectly fits your budget and gets you good CPU, while getting everything else you need.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4YHGrr

As stated before, programs you are using, Needs CPU power, 5800X is good CPU, but 11700 gives you same performance, while being cheaper, So it's better option for as now. Don't even think about 3600... It's old and expensive. I even squished 32GB RAM in there. As well as better drives in this list and better case.

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

This perfectly fits your budget and gets you good CPU, while getting everything else you need.

As stated before, programs you are using, Needs CPU power, 5800X is good CPU, but 11700 gives you same performance, while being cheaper, So it's better option for as now. Don't even think about 3600... It's old and expensive. I even squished 32GB RAM in there. As well as better drives in this list and better case.

Haha I was scared it would be.

Alright thanks, absolute legend

9 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Honestly, I would try and get a better graphics card. Try Fixitfixitfixit's discord if you want a more current GPU: https://discord.com/invite/gpu

Don't sleep on sleeper PCs

11 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

5800X is good CPU, but 11700 gives you same performance, while being cheaper

No, it doesn't. Stop spreading misinformation. According to Gamer's Nexus review 11700k is about 11% slower in Adobe Premiere Pro, which is what OP is using. 9% slower accoriding to slightly different benchmark from pudgetsystems.

OP, you kinda have to get 32GB of ram for this workflow - would be nice if it were 3200, but 2933/3000 is going to be fine as well; a 5800X would be nice, but a 10900f would be my second option (the probable one with your budget honestly), just make sure to get a board that can disable power limits); you don't need NAS HDD - they are made for being close to many other vibrating disks which isn't the case for you. Also I don't know but maybe 1660 Super is going to be availble for you easier. But most importantly don't accept advise from somebody who thinks 11700 is just as good as 5800X for video editing.

3 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

No, it doesn't. Stop spreading misinformation. According to Gamer's Nexus review 11700k is about 11% slower in Adobe Premiere Pro, which is what OP is using. 9% slower accoriding to slightly different benchmark from pudgetsystems.

OP, you kinda have to get 32GB of ram for this workflow - would be nice if it were 3200, but 2933/3000 is going to be fine as well; a 5800X would be nice, but a 10900f would be my second option (the probable one with your budget honestly), just make sure to get a board that can disable power limits); you don't need NAS HDD - they are made for being close to many other vibrating disks which isn't the case for you. Also I don't know but maybe 1660 Super is going to be availble for you easier. But most importantly don't accept advise from somebody who thinks 11700 is just as good as 5800X for video editing.

It have almost same performance as 5800X and is 100$ cheaper, There is no point paying 100$ more for little to no performance benefits, While you can use this money to get 32GB ram or something else, That really affects performance. 

8 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

It have almost same performance as 5800X and is 100$ cheaper, There is no point paying 100$ more for little to no performance benefits, While you can use this money to get 32GB ram or something else, That really affects performance. 

11. percent. slower. That isn't "almost" and it certainly isn't "same"

If you want to save money get a 10900. Of you want to save even more, probably a 5600X is still better than 11700 - cheaper, only 4% slower (yes 4% is only, 11% is not) and faster in After Effects.

Screenshot_2021-09-21-07-22-55-34_7a4090f09f6554852d748ee9fd6f40d3.jpg