Looking for Best fans, how are these for a cross between silence and power?

Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,

ya the info on the box is proven to not be right. and we dont have a way of testing it. people have tried for years. gn is working on something to test it in there new studio and will cost $30,000usd for it. un till then all numbers and test are no 100% accrete.  its proven higher dbs fans may be louder but the pitch may seem quieter and it all depends on what your ears can hear so....

most people run the fan slow at idle and max when gaming if they use headphones. if they dont then you find a fan curve that you can tolerate. if you need more cooling look at other options before going max fan rpm.

we dont even no the build or what the temps are so all we no is "whats the best fan" and each will have there own  opinions on witch one that is.

i like the  gentle typhoons and i can pick em up for about $20 can and in there un accrete test it came out on top.

and you can add argb grill or 2 if you fell ballszy but your looking at like $40-$60 per fan...

Just now, bowrilla said:

You actually can reduce that noise. The goemtry and surface finish as well as the thickness of the fan blades have a HUGE impact on noise levels.

they do, saying it wasn't possible to reduce noise was wrong, but in the end just moving air will cause noise, so completely silent is essentially impossible

also the fact that these arctic fans cost $17, while the corsair ones cost $40 leaves me confused

1 minute ago, Finnegan1616 said:

they do, saying it wasn't possible to reduce noise was wrong, but in the end just moving air will cause noise, so completely silent is essentially impossible

Of course, but nobody said anything like that. The ML fans are decent but imho too expensive for their performance. Noctua and Arctic are basically the gold standard for quite a while. Noctua for the best consumer package money no object and Arctic for the best budget pick.

P.S.: go for the lower RPM versions if you want your system to be low noise. If you don't care about noise, go for IndustrialPPC 3000RPM. Most people run their fans in the region of 600-800rpm

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

6 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Of course, but nobody said anything like that. The ML fans are decent but imho too expensive for their performance. Noctua and Arctic are basically the gold standard for quite a while. Noctua for the best consumer package money no object and Arctic for the best budget pick.

P.S.: go for the lower RPM versions if you want your system to be low noise. If you don't care about noise, go for IndustrialPPC 3000RPM. Most people run their fans in the region of 600-800rpm

but what about this

6 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

also the fact that these arctic fans cost $17, while the corsair ones cost $40 leaves me confused

but what about this

What do you mean? You've been told multiple times: Artics are good and cheap. Expensive does not always mean good.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

What do you mean? You've been told multiple times: Artics are good and cheap. Expensive does not always mean good.

it's also a kind of "too good to be true" moment

4x cheaper and better, that's pretty rare to find in real products

it's also a kind of "too good to be true" moment

4x cheaper and better, that's pretty rare to find in real products

It rather shows how much money some companies make with those products. Artic is still making money with these so you better believe that Corsair doesn't pay 4x as much for their fans in production and design costs.

39 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

It rather shows how much money some companies make with those products. Artic is still making money with these so you better believe that Corsair doesn't pay 4x as much for their fans in production and design costs.

amazing to think companies can get away with that much profit margin

i.e., that people like me don't double check to make sure it's a decent deal

8 hours ago, Finnegan1616 said:

idk if I'd consider mine much of a budget build

Well get the best fans there is and if they arent offered with rgb, get those rgb ring things that mount to a fan. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well get the best fans there is and if they arent offered with rgb, get those rgb ring things that mount to a fan. 

They even look nice if you go for the HALOS LUX variants - made from aluminium. Imho, they even look great with dark fan blades, because you'll end up with a ring effect and not the full on aerial RGB blast. Matter of taste though.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:53 PM, Mick Naughty said:

On 9/17/2021 at 9:20 PM, bowrilla said:

They even look nice if you go for the HALOS LUX variants - made from aluminium. Imho, they even look great with dark fan blades, because you'll end up with a ring effect and not the full on aerial RGB blast. Matter of taste though.

I'll look into that (late response, ik, been really busy)

13 hours ago, Finnegan1616 said:

btw if u want fans with built in rgb,

Lian Li SL120 /SL140 / AL120 is decent

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

14 hours ago, Finnegan1616 said:

the best fan is price to performance really so. the arctic p fans are cheap and pefrom well but not the best. if you add all 3 together for the best fan price, performance, sound well you be looking for a long time... everyone wants that.... but each fan can vary +or- 10% in speed even if there the same fan. gn is working for a way to test fans but he renoing a building for a new office and who knows when that will be so what info we got is the best.

linus did a video years ago about how to test fans and there finding on the box to be wrong as each company will have there own way of testing there fans to make they seem better then they are.

there use to be forms dedicated to testing pc parts. and each time they make a new test bench there findings to be off so they gave up....or move on from testing we dont really no what happened just the guy disappeared.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Best rad fans atm is the Phantek T30-120. Great performance, sound and daisy chain (comparable to lianli uni)

If you want rgb can add halo rings though the sl120/al120 is prob better. 

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

the best fan is price to performance really so. the arctic p fans are cheap and pefrom well but not the best. if you add all 3 together for the best fan price, performance, sound well you be looking for a long time... everyone wants that.... but each fan can vary +or- 10% in speed even if there the same fan. gn is working for a way to test fans but he renoing a building for a new office and who knows when that will be so what info we got is the best.

linus did a video years ago about how to test fans and there finding on the box to be wrong as each company will have there own way of testing there fans to make they seem better then they are.

there use to be forms dedicated to testing pc parts. and each time they make a new test bench there findings to be off so they gave up....or move on from testing we dont really no what happened just the guy disappeared.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

That guy long retired. The next best are igorslab, techpowerup vsg (aka thermalbench). Couple others i found are german but they did some good reviews on techn am4 block

7 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

the best fan is price to performance really so. the arctic p fans are cheap and pefrom well but not the best.

Hence the budget recommendation. They perform very well (among the best) but are not p1, that's true. However the price to performance is unbeatable.

As always: 50% of the cost to acchieve 80% performance, 100% of the costs to get 100% of performance. If you want the best performance: mostly Noctua fans then. You can buy 3 Artic P fans for the price of 1 Noctua fan.

7 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

The measurements are probably not wrong, the tests are just not consistent. That's exactly why you need one test setup in a controlled environment (so not a PC running in a case whose power draw and therfore thermals will varry). The less factors you have the better. 

It would help a lot if we had consistent test results and comparable data points (as in every fan performaning at a defined set of rpm like min, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, max). We can't compare fans today - it's almost guess work.

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Hence the budget recommendation. They perform very well (among the best) but are not p1, that's true. However the price to performance is unbeatable.

As always: 50% of the cost to acchieve 80% performance, 100% of the costs to get 100% of performance. If you want the best performance: mostly Noctua fans then. You can buy 3 Artic P fans for the price of 1 Noctua fan.

The measurements are probably not wrong, the tests are just not consistent. That's exactly why you need one test setup in a controlled environment (so not a PC running in a case whose power draw and therfore thermals will varry). The less factors you have the better. 

It would help a lot if we had consistent test results and comparable data points (as in every fan performaning at a defined set of rpm like min, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, max). We can't compare fans today - it's almost guess work.

I'll look into noctua fans if they tend to perform better

Huh, did you say a bud-get? A what?

I think I'm getting the
Noctua chromax.Black.swap Premium Quiet 140/120mm fans

2 hours ago, Finnegan1616 said:

I think I'm getting the
Noctua chromax.Black.swap Premium Quiet 140/120mm fans

I had the Noctua A12x25 myself and swapped over to the T30-120 myself. I am planning to get the 140mm T30 (they are in develpoment) to replace my SL140 fans. Noctua delayed but white/black A12x25 and 140mm version of A12x25 are coming too. There are lot of clones of A12x25 (Original was Nidec Gentle Typhoon) including Coolermaster SF120M (they have RGB), ThermalTake Tough Fans 12, Adata Vento Pro 120m (Nidec), Darkside GT.

19 hours ago, Section31 said:

I had the Noctua A12x25 myself and swapped over to the T30-120 myself. I am planning to get the 140mm T30 (they are in develpoment) to replace my SL140 fans. Noctua delayed but white/black A12x25 and 140mm version of A12x25 are coming too. There are lot of clones of A12x25 (Original was Nidec Gentle Typhoon) including Coolermaster SF120M (they have RGB), ThermalTake Tough Fans 12, Adata Vento Pro 120m (Nidec), Darkside GT.

what