Looking for Best fans, how are these for a cross between silence and power?

Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,

ya the info on the box is proven to not be right. and we dont have a way of testing it. people have tried for years. gn is working on something to test it in there new studio and will cost $30,000usd for it. un till then all numbers and test are no 100% accrete.  its proven higher dbs fans may be louder but the pitch may seem quieter and it all depends on what your ears can hear so....

most people run the fan slow at idle and max when gaming if they use headphones. if they dont then you find a fan curve that you can tolerate. if you need more cooling look at other options before going max fan rpm.

we dont even no the build or what the temps are so all we no is "whats the best fan" and each will have there own  opinions on witch one that is.

i like the  gentle typhoons and i can pick em up for about $20 can and in there un accrete test it came out on top.

and you can add argb grill or 2 if you fell ballszy but your looking at like $40-$60 per fan...

So I was looking for fans, and I found these two brands for 140 and 120mm fans

I'm on a (sort of) unlimited budget here, so are these about the best I can get, or does a company like corsair make some that aren't on PCpartpicker (case is Corsair 1000D, so 120 and 140mm fans only, and ideally under 35db)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nz97YJ/cryorig-qf140-performance-421-cfm-140mm-fan-cr-q4a

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8RzhP6/pc-cooler-halo-frgb-72-cfm-120-mm-fans-3-pack-pc-3m120halo

Do they have to glow in RGB or can they just be plain good fans (possible 💩 color 😉 )

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Do they have to glow in RGB or can they just be plain good fans (possible 💩 color 😉 )

preferably rgb, but I'm ok with plain fans if the stats are reasonably better

apart from the fans, the only "rgb" part of my pc so far is the RAM

The best fans out there are the "ugly" Noctua fans. They move a lot of wind and are really silent. Pretty much what you are looking for, they're more expensive than most fans. You can pay more if you want the non-signature brown colors.

Get a set of Chromax noctua fans

boom easy as that

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, FRD said:

The best fans out there are the "ugly" Noctua fans. They move a lot of wind and are really silent. Pretty much what you are looking for, they're more expensive than most fans. You can pay more if you want the non-signature brown colors.

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

boom easy as that

I thought noctua's "good fans" were just those cpu cooler ones, never saw any other than those

15 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

boom easy as that

15 minutes ago, FRD said:

This fan has ~50% more CFM than noctua's Chromax coolers

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nz97YJ/cryorig-qf140-performance-421-cfm-140mm-fan-cr-q4a

I'm confused how noctua is better here

2 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

but this fan has ~50% more CFM

I'm confused how noctua is better here

If a fan has 1000 or on RPM more it may move more air but it will sound like a leaf blower by comparison. 

What constitutes a 'good' fan in the most universal sense possible is one that is (across it's large operating RPM range) very high performing given its noise level. If you ignore noise, there is always one that moves more air.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

If a fan has 1000 or on RPM more it may move more air but it will sound like a leaf blower by comparison. 

What constitutes a 'good' fan in the most universal sense possible is one that is (across it's large operating RPM range) very high performing given its noise level. If you ignore noise, there is always one that moves more air.

at minimum RPM (600) it produces 13db, and at the maximum RPM (1850) it produces 38db and pushes 128CFM, so if we cut that down to noctua's 80CFM, it would produce ~25db which is also around the level of noctua, and there's overhead room if I ever needed more airflow, AND it's rgb

I think that it's discontinued

2 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

at minimum RPM (600) it produces 13db, and at the maximum RPM (1850) it produces 38db and pushes 128CFM, so if we cut that down to noctua's 80CFM, it would produce ~25db which is also around the level of noctua, and there's overhead room if I ever needed more airflow, AND it's rgb

There is so many blatant errors in there, i don’t know  where to start. 

1. Manufacturers measure performance differently. I would highly recommend completly ignoring all performance stats on PCPartpicker. They just reprint the garbage on the box. 

2. They also measure noise differently. above applies

3. The min an max are the values you will use least in the lifetime of a fan but neither noise nor CFM or pressure (which you have completely ignored) scale linearly on any fan. 

4. Also did you make calculations by simply diving the difference on the logarithmic dB scale is half? I don't want to be putny but I am at work and don't have the time to explain all that so I will leave it  to some other community members. 

For now I suggest you read one are two well written fan reviews. 

3.Use

2 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

1. Manufacturers measure performance differently. I would highly recommend completly ignoring all performance stats on PCPartpicker. They just reprint the garbage on the box. 

3. The min an max are the values you will use least in the lifetime of a fan but neither noise nor CFM or pressure (which you have completely ignored) scale linearly on any fan. 

4. Also did you make calculations by simply diving the difference on the logarithmic dB scale is half? I don't want to be putny but I am at work and don't have the time to explain all that so I will leave it  to some other community members. 

there's kind of a reason I came here, it was to ask questions

also I know it's logarithmic, but so is noise scaling, due to how as you increase velocity the air resistance goes up exponentially, so in reality it's not as bad as it first seems

Assuming that a) there's any clear and uniform relationship between fan volumes and RPM, and b) half the smaller manufacturer's don't just invent both CFM and noise figures, is a mistake. Because there is no consistent industry standard for how each figure is measured, comparison of the hypothetical numbers is basically pointless. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

ya the info on the box is proven to not be right. and we dont have a way of testing it. people have tried for years. gn is working on something to test it in there new studio and will cost $30,000usd for it. un till then all numbers and test are no 100% accrete.  its proven higher dbs fans may be louder but the pitch may seem quieter and it all depends on what your ears can hear so....

most people run the fan slow at idle and max when gaming if they use headphones. if they dont then you find a fan curve that you can tolerate. if you need more cooling look at other options before going max fan rpm.

we dont even no the build or what the temps are so all we no is "whats the best fan" and each will have there own  opinions on witch one that is.

i like the  gentle typhoons and i can pick em up for about $20 can and in there un accrete test it came out on top.

and you can add argb grill or 2 if you fell ballszy but your looking at like $40-$60 per fan...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

16 hours ago, HM-2 said:

Assuming that a) there's any clear and uniform relationship between fan volumes and RPM, and b) half the smaller manufacturer's don't just invent both CFM and noise figures, is a mistake. Because there is no consistent industry standard for how each figure is measured, comparison of the hypothetical numbers is basically pointless. 

21 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

didn't realize there wasn't a standard

ig it's kind of like assuming that AMD's 7nm was better that intel's 10, only bc it's smaller, but it's all marketing

The issue is not just that there isn't any standard, manufacturers don't even tell you what kind of values they are giving you. The max CFM and static pressures will obviously be the max values, but will the noise level also be at max rev? And nobody tells you how the test setup was built, how the geometry is set, how much dampening there was in the test setup nor where exactly the mic was placed.

This is why GamersNexus bought a professional machine used at some manufacturers to test the fans. I thought about building a testrig myself before they revealed that.

The next issue is: you can't linearly interpolate CFM or static pressure or noise through the revs to get a comparable result. Fluid dynamics and aerodynamics aren't that simple.

For you as a customer you'd also need to define for what kind of purposes you'll going to need the fans. Case fans without much restriction are usually higher CFM with lower static pressure, once you add restriction (restrictive front cover/mesh or radiators) you'll want to look at the static pressure. 

If you want one type of fan only I'd aim for the static pressure fans

More or less general conesus is:

best 120mm static pressure (no budget): Noctua NF-F12 or NF-A12x25 or NF-P12

best 120mm static pressure (budget): Arctic P12 PWM

Also rule of thumb: if you can fit 140mm fans instead of 120mm fans, go 140mm. They might have a little less static pressure overall, but they shove a lot more air.

If you don't care about noise: Noctua IndustrialPPC 3000 PWM 

If you REALLY don't care about noise: Delta industrial fans ... 

You can make every fan RGB with the Phanteks HALOS frames.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

The issue is not just that there isn't any standard, manufacturers don't even tell you what kind of values they are giving you. The max CFM and static pressures will obviously be the max values, but will the noise level also be at max rev? And nobody tells you how the test setup was built, how the geometry is set, how much dampening there was in the test setup nor where exactly the mic was placed.

This is why GamersNexus bought a professional machine used at some manufacturers to test the fans. I thought about building a testrig myself before they revealed that.

The next issue is: you can't linearly interpolate CFM or static pressure or noise through the revs to get a comparable result. Fluid dynamics and aerodynamics aren't that simple.

For you as a customer you'd also need to define for what kind of purposes you'll going to need the fans. Case fans without much restriction are usually higher CFM with lower static pressure, once you add restriction (restrictive front cover/mesh or radiators) you'll want to look at the static pressure. 

If you want one type of fan only I'd aim for the static pressure fans

More or less general conesus is:

best 120mm static pressure (no budget): Noctua NF-F12 or NF-A12x25 or NF-P12

best 120mm static pressure (budget): Arctic P12 PWM

Also rule of thumb: if you can fit 140mm fans instead of 120mm fans, go 140mm. They might have a little less static pressure overall, but they shove a lot more air.

If you don't care about noise: Noctua IndustrialPPC 3000 PWM 

If you REALLY don't care about noise: Delta industrial fans ... 

You can make every fan RGB with the Phanteks HALOS frames.

what about the Corsair ML120/140 pro fans?

5 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

what about the Corsair ML120/140 pro fans?

Never had them, the 2400RPM is imho pretty pointless when the cooling concept is done right - pretty expensive as well. To my knowledge most tests put them below the Noctuas and Artics.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

6 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Never had them, the 2400RPM is imho pretty pointless when the cooling concept is done right - pretty expensive as well. To my knowledge most tests put them below the Noctuas and Artics.

ML = maglev, that's why I was curious about them, bc they should in theory make near no noise

also what

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QpH7YJ/

I'm assuming it's another gimmick, but why would they just put that there on that specific one

3 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

ML = maglev, that's why I was curious about them, bc they should in theory make near no noise

Maybe no hub noise but there's still fins going through the air ....

4 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

See above, it's an Arctic P12, they are very good.

Prefer noctua industrial 2k variants. But black chromax wasn’t an option when building mine. 
For my cheaper rig I got Arctic 5 pack of 120 and 140. I stick to rgb stripes instead of dealing with rgb fan performance and wiring but I know some are actually good now. 
Id get the rgb vardar. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Maybe no hub noise but there's still fins going through the air ....

See above, it's an Arctic P12, they are very good.

I mean, there's no way to stop that, and if it pushes more air, it'll make exponentially more sound bc the equation for air resistance is squared (F = k * v²), so the best you can really do is try to make the part the fan is spinning off of silent, after that sound is dependent on the speed/resistance of the fins, and pushing more air leads to more resistance in the end

3 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

I mean, there's no way to stop that, and if it pushes more air, it'll make exponentially more sound bc the equation for air resistance is squared (F = k * v²), so the best you can really do is try to make the part the fan is spinning off of silent

You actually can reduce that noise. The goemtry and surface finish as well as the thickness of the fan blades have a HUGE impact on noise levels.

P.S.: and of course motor noise. The ML fans still have motors as well. The bearing is just one part of the equation.

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Prefer noctua industrial 2k variants. But black chromax wasn’t an option when building mine. 
For my cheaper rig I got Arctic 5 pack of 120 and 140. I stick to rgb stripes instead of dealing with rgb fan performance and wiring but I know some are actually good now. 
Id get the rgb vardar. 

idk if I'd consider mine much of a budget build

1711150388_Screenshot(4).thumb.png.592553ebb83bc57de514749eaadbeb0e.png