2 Gamers 1 CPU daily driver

7imbrook

Inspired by the 2 gamers 1 cpu video from forever ago now, I made the bold choice to make my first PC.... complicated. It all started when I managed to get a 3090 at MSRP through a work for sale post. Little did they know they could have asked 3x the price. This kicked the long awaited purchase of everything else, grabbed an i9 from intel and 64GB of ram to share. 1TB nvme to store the boot drives. An old 250GB ssd to boot the hypervisor and some spinning disks for backups and network drives. I ended up being very happy getting the 1000W power supply for reasons you'll soon find out about. I spent a few months trying to get VGPU to work and get it to direct output to separate monitors. Even if I ever got my dream 2 gamers 1 cpu AND 1 gpu rig running, I don't think it would be worth the pain involved. I waited and there was a slight dip in GPU prices and I managed to overpay for a 3070ti. An hour or so later I had everything running like a breeze and for 4 or so months now my girlfriend and I have been gaming together daily on the same PC.

The rough edges, everything physically is held together with duck tape and zip ties. Kinda, I don't have a case that fits both GPUs with enough airflow, so I ended up 3D printing an external case mount I designed. I think I'll end up water-cooling both cards, but I don't even know where to start or if they even make blocks for the MSI Ventus 3070 (couldn't find anything). I think I just want to start with a case that can mount both GPUs on risers so they can have room between them to breath. Right now if I have them both in the motherboard slots the top card thermal throttles instantly. Even when running at 70% voltage. Anyone have and advice or experience in running 2 GPUs in a system? Water cooling advice? Or if you want to just tell me I'm insane for trying this and should have just bought 2 computers, that's welcome too. 

IMG_3785.jpeg

IMG_3789.jpeg

IMG_3788.jpeg

IMG_3787.jpeg

IMG_3786.jpeg

I can speak a bit to watercooling GPUs perhaps.  I know nothing about your two GPUs, but as a rule if a card is a reference design you just put a reference cooler on it.  If it ISN’T a reference design though one generally has the choice of finding a cooler made just for that model, or going with a non-full coverage block which now seems to be called a hybrid.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

hmm ya ied say a better case is needed.  the cost of buying a new case + water cooling you could have just built two pcs...but whats the fun in that i guess.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 9/17/2021 at 4:47 AM, thrasher_565 said:

but whats the fun in that i guess.

Stability 😛