Windows 8.1 Update Is A Mandatory Install For Windows 8.1 Users

JantsoP
Some seven or so months back, Windows 8.1 was released as free update to all Windows 8 users. It was, however, not a mandatory install, and as is evident from the market share numbers, a substantial number of users are still running the vanilla OS.

Also quote from microsoft:

“Failure to install this Update will prevent Windows Update from patching your system with any future updates starting with Updates released in May 2014 (get busy!)”

Im staying on Win 8 thank you very much

Source: http://www.eyeonwindows.com/2014/04/08/windows-8-1-update-is-a-mandatory-install-for-windows-8-1-users/

Why not update?

People don't want the bugs fixed, idk anymore man. People crazy

I treated Windows 8 exactly like Vista. I used it for a couple of weeks and went back to the previous version of Windows.

Anyone else here still running Windows 7?

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

I really don't understand why you would stick with 8 when 8.1 is out, its basically the same but slightly better and enhanced

I had a customer on sunday ask if we had a computer either "windows 7 or 8" and they were like "if it has 8.1 we dont want it"

I was like...uhmm wtf? its the same OS 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I treated Windows 8 exactly like Vista. I used it for a couple of weeks and went back to the previous version of Windows.

Still running Win 7 here never bothered with 8.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I'm still running Windows 7 (and love it) and have no interest what so ever so upgrade, I'm waiting to see if Windows 9 is going to shape up to be anything worthwhile.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

running 8.1 thank you very much

and don't you feel like have bugs fixed :P

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Obviously people should want to update, but at their own pace. Not being forced to within a month of the update's release. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I like windows 8.1 ( but 8 was just not realy finished ), i like it better than 7, but i liked vista as well, so maby thats the problem ;)
I dont see why you wouldn't update but if you don't want to its good to have the choice i think?

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

I am, maybe I'll upgrade to Windows 9, whenever that happens.

Aren't most people here still running Windows 7?

I'm still running Windows 7 (and love it) and have no interest what so ever so upgrade, I'm waiting to see if Windows 9 is going to shape up to be anything worthwhile.

This is exactly what I am doing. 

95 - Meh

98 - Yay

ME - Meh

XP - Yay

Vista - Meh

7 - Yay

8 - Meh

9 - Yay?

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

this is what i did 

95 then 98 went to 2k and not ME because knew it was junk used 2k until my install disc failed sometime after SP4 then XP then 7 is 8.1.1 has start menu etc i might consider trying it otherwise wont touch it

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

This is exactly what I am doing. 

95 - Meh

98 - Yay

ME - Meh

XP - Yay

Vista - Meh

7 - Yay

8 - Meh

9 - Yay?

That's how Microsoft works

The whole Tick Tock effect?

Why not update? 

I really don't understand why you would stick with 8 when 8.1 is out, its basically the same but slightly better and enhanced

I had a customer on sunday ask if we had a computer either "windows 7 or 8" and they were like "if it has 8.1 we dont want it"

I was like...uhmm wtf? its the same OS 

I'm stuck with 8 and not gonna update to 8.1. I tried it out in beta and it introduced more bugs than it fixed for me, then i tried it on my new PC when it was released and it just wouldnt work with my new hardware (the pump would just go mental when it was installed for whatever reason).

All the major stuff that it fixed was already available in windows 8 anyway. (startisback disables metro crap, boots to the desktop and adds everything where i need it)

And i've had no problems with it aside from compatibility problems with old software which would be more prominent with 8.1 anyway.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I'm stuck with 8 and not gonna update to 8.1. I tried it out in beta and it introduced more bugs than it fixed for me, then i tried it on my new PC when it was released and it just wouldnt work with my new hardware (the pump would just go mental when it was installed for whatever reason).

All the major stuff that it fixed was already available in windows 8 anyway. (startisback disables metro crap, boots to the desktop and adds everything where i need it)

And i've had no problems with it aside from compatibility problems with old software which would be more prominent with 8.1 anyway.

You know what a beta is right

You know what a beta is right

i tried it on my new PC when it was released

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

. I tried it out in beta

Its probably better now after a few updates

understandable if you have had a few problems, its just I have heard more than a few people say it, and I struggle to grasp the consensus 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why not update? 

Why would you NOT update?

Believe it or not, your average user that knows nothing about computers avoids updates or don't understand the importance of them. I'm sure some of you have worked on PCs that have AV software that hasn't been updated in months or don't have entire service packs installed.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Believe it or not, your average user that knows nothing about computers avoids updates or don't understand the importance of them. I'm sure some of you have worked on PCs that have AV software that hasn't been updated in months or don't have entire service packs installed.

oh i know that, there should be a popup when you first start windows asking if you are an advanced user or a complete noob and then set settings accordingly 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Reminds me a bit of this, actually:

update_for_your_computer.jpg

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2