Just a rant about newegg

Marty Z

Ok, this is just a rant about newegg and their idiotic shipping practices. I ordered my entire system system parts list from them, and for the most part they did a good job. They sent the case, CPU, MB and all other accessories UPS 3 day select signature required, and I got everything as expected. But it appears some genius in their shipping department decided to ship the RAM on it's own, usinf UPS surepost, which is their cheapest shipping method and UPS hands the package over to the USPS for final delivery.

So now I have my entire build sitting and waiting for RAM. All wiring is done, cable managed, everything but GPU and CPU cooler installed waiting for RAM.

So now, I am trying to figure out newegg's logic. They ship a 31 lb, $170 case, 3 day select, which cost them almost as much as the case itself, and they shipped it signature required. However, the $300 RAM, in a 2 lb package, they ship the cheapest economy service without a signature required. How does this make any sense at all.

So now i'm waiting till after the labor day weekend for UPS to hand the package over to the USPS, and then god only knows how long the USPS will hold onto the package.

I am so pissed. Newegg will no longer get any of my business.

And yeah, everything was sold and shipped by newegg, not 3rd party resellers.

When I ordered my parts, it was a mix of Amazon and Newegg. Both companies used a mix of USPS and UPS. All items shipped required a signature on delivery. But I was at work during the day. They would just leave the packages on my porch, and when I'd check the shipping status online it would say "delivered, signed by resident" or something to that effect. I was rather livid about it as I live in a somewhat sketchy neighbourhood. Needless to say though, everything turned out to be fine and I'm still using the PC to this day (using right now actually).

I have to say, I've not been so fond of Newegg ever since a few years ago when I bought an HDD from them. Not 3rd party either. The drive was in its OEM box, just thrown into a shipping box. No cushioning of the sort. The drive was DOA and I had to RMA it. The next one sent was actually sent directly from Western Digital, not by Newegg. This time it was packaged all properly, the way a delicate item like that should be shipped. That drive is in my dad's PC, still in use as the mass storage drive.

Newegg used to be the place to go for all things custom PC. Now I avoid it like the lepers sitting outside the walls of a Biblical city.

That sounds about right for Newegg. 

I only use them when they have a lower price and I am not in a hurry.

My build that is in progress now went like this.

CPU =               i9 10900kf B&H signature
CPU Cooler =   SilverStone PF360-ARGB AIO Newegg    

Motherboard =  GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Master Amazon         

Memory =          CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB)DDR4 4000 Newegg                 

Storage =          Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Amazon     

Video Card =     MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio Newegg Shuffle signature

Case =              Lian Li O11 Dynamic B&H                                           

PSU =               EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ Newegg

OS =                 Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit Newegg UPS USPS(took the longest)                                        

Case Fans =    3 SilverStone Technology AB120R-ARGB Air Blazer 120mm PWM Newegg

So only two signatures and the Newegg UPS USPS took the longest. 

43 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

snip

Amazon sent the GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Master box in a plastic bag. Fortunately it worked.

I do more damage returns with them than anyone else.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

8 hours ago, Marty Z said:

Ok, this is just a rant about newegg and their idiotic shipping practices. I ordered my entire system system parts list from them, and for the most part they did a good job. They sent the case, CPU, MB and all other accessories UPS 3 day select signature required, and I got everything as expected. But it appears some genius in their shipping department decided to ship the RAM on it's own, usinf UPS surepost, which is their cheapest shipping method and UPS hands the package over to the USPS for final delivery.

So now I have my entire build sitting and waiting for RAM. All wiring is done, cable managed, everything but GPU and CPU cooler installed waiting for RAM.

So now, I am trying to figure out newegg's logic. They ship a 31 lb, $170 case, 3 day select, which cost them almost as much as the case itself, and they shipped it signature required. However, the $300 RAM, in a 2 lb package, they ship the cheapest economy service without a signature required. How does this make any sense at all.

So now i'm waiting till after the labor day weekend for UPS to hand the package over to the USPS, and then god only knows how long the USPS will hold onto the package.

I am so pissed. Newegg will no longer get any of my business.

And yeah, everything was sold and shipped by newegg, not 3rd party resellers.

Welcome to e-commerce. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I had newegg ship a 2080 super, ram, and aio in a 4foot by 4foot box with now packaging so everything arrived damaged/dented. 

luckily we don´t have many companies that does it, for me it is a no go when they don´t pack all in one pack.. i do at time get 2 boxes, if they as an example ship the case it self.

BUT they always use the same shipping company and ship the same day from the places i order.. (yes it is in Denmark, so not the same companies) used Amazon.de a bit, and it is a mess, since it shares into many different vendors, so an order can come as maybe 5-6 different deliveries, so Amazon for me just ends up being specialty orders, and to be honest, i really hate supporting Bezos, so the less i use it, the better.

When that Chinese company bought them out it all changed.
For example, reviews are not all over the place in reference to "What" they are talking about in relation to a given model of CPU as one such example.
They'll show a certain model having x amount of 5 eggs in it's listing BUT when you start reading through, you'll see all the reviews are NOT about the chip model you're looking at.
In the case of..... Let's say for an X5600 chip, you'll find reviews left for it AND the 5600, 5700, x5700, 5800 and whatever else would apply to a Ryzen all mixed in together - And checking the reviews of another has these same reviews all lumped together as well.
Used to be reviews were ONLY about the exact chip you were looking at in a listing, but no more.

Check a few of those, pay attention to what's being said to be reviewed and you'll see it for yourself.

It's really a sort of false advertising because it's misleading the customer by misrepresenting what was reviewed. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I don't mind the signature requirement, I actually think it's a good idea. My issue is why did newegg dish out for premium 3 day service for a 31lb case, but not for a 2lb ram kit at twice the value.

And they both traversed the country, from California to NJ.

Just now, Marty Z said:

I don't mind the signature requirement, I actually think it's a good idea. My issue is why did newegg dish out for premium 3 day service for a 31lb case, but not for a 2lb ram kit at twice the value.

3 day shipping might not be available from the warehouse, or it was shipped 3rd party?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

3 day shipping might not be available from the warehouse, or it was shipped 3rd party?

It came from the same warehouse as the cpu and mb. Which came 3 day signature required

17708 ROWLAND ST
CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA, US

1 hour ago, Marty Z said:

It came from the same warehouse as the cpu and mb. Which came 3 day signature required

17708 ROWLAND ST
CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA, US

So were you charged more for shipping? Or are you just complaining that you have to wait a few extra days? 🙄 Maybe somebody made a packing mistake and forgot the RAM so they had no other choice but to ship it separately. Shit happens, get over it. 

Never had a problem with newegg, always been quick to handle any issues I've had, but they've always packed their boxes all wrong. For example if I buy a CPU they'll ship it in an oversized box with the CPU tight to one corner with packing material taking up the rest of the box. Been lucky so far that nothing has been damaged.

2 hours ago, mwagen said:

So were you charged more for shipping? Or are you just complaining that you have to wait a few extra days? 🙄 Maybe somebody made a packing mistake and forgot the RAM so they had no other choice but to ship it separately. Shit happens, get over it. 

Never had a problem with newegg, always been quick to handle any issues I've had, but they've always packed their boxes all wrong. For example if I buy a CPU they'll ship it in an oversized box with the CPU tight to one corner with packing material taking up the rest of the box. Been lucky so far that nothing has been damaged.

No, I wasn't charged more for shipping, I AM complaing that I have to wait longer. Do you know why? Because what they did makes absolutely no logical sense. Why would they ship $300 ram surepost if they were so worried about getting a signature for a $170 case?

I'm not sure what part of my explanation is confusing. I would think that if a company needed a signature for a $170 product then they would also need one for a $300 product. Only logical. And signature requirement is not available with the surepost service.

And back to what I said in my original post, the geniouses in neweggs shipping department have no idea what they are doing!!!

UPS doesnt deliver on Sundays and Monday is a holiday. When did you order the parts? RAM may have been missed and sent after for that reason. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

17 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

They'll show a certain model having x amount of 5 eggs in it's listing BUT when you start reading through, you'll see all the reviews are NOT about the chip model you're looking at.
In the case of..... Let's say for an X5600 chip, you'll find reviews left for it AND the 5600, 5700, x5700, 5800 and whatever else would apply to a Ryzen all mixed in together - And checking the reviews of another has these same reviews all lumped together as well.
Used to be reviews were ONLY about the exact chip you were looking at in a listing, but no more.

Check a few of those, pay attention to what's being said to be reviewed and you'll see it for yourself.

It's really a sort of false advertising because it's misleading the customer by misrepresenting what was reviewed. 

Only started looking at and learning about PC hardware during the start of summer.  And was confused at reviews that were contradicting each other on a physical property of a device...

Avoiding their website as much as possible, when looking for info. 

🤦‍♂️, Like I said in the beginning, this is just a rant, a rant about neweggs shipping practices. I wasn't looking for possible resolutions or explanations, and I was definitely not looking for newegg shills telling me how great newegg is.

I was just looking for others with similar experiences so they can vent also. Newegg screwed up, period. Did they crew up in a devastating way? No they didn't. They didn't cause harm to anyone but they did screw up.

Will I buy from them again? In the short term no, in the long term maybe. But i'm not the first nor will I be the last to have issues with them. I mean even amazon, even though I had 3 separate orders placed, they were smart enough to see that the orders were all going to the same place, and they shipped all 3 orders in 1 box 😱. I know, unbelievable. But newegg has to do things different.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Voice said:

3Day Select uses dimensional weight.

Generally, UPS from the West Coast to East Coast is an average of 7 days for ground service.

USPS times have changed, but some first class mail used to find itself from the East Coast to West Coast in 1 business day.

It is possible that NewEgg has a deal with UPS for 3Day, a discount depending on how much you actually ship with them.

I know of 2 warehouses: 1 in California, and 1 in New Jersey. Not sure if there are more.

I also know, that if that case box was open, and the ram put in, you probably would have had damaged ram.

The customers that I had to deal with, would have had a bad attitude on the phone if did something like that.

They could have put the ram in the same box as the MB, CPU, 9 case fans, M.2 card, and the Windows DVD. That would add $0 to the shipping cost to that particular package and they could have saved money on shipping it separately.

5 hours ago, Marty Z said:

Newegg screwed up, period.

Yeah, we get it, but I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. The only cost to you is having to wait a bit longer. Was this really worth starting a thread about? I don't know how old you are, but if this is how you're going to react when things in life don't always work out how you expect then I feel sorry for anybody who has to deal your attitude. Things like this happen all the time, so my suggestion is to learn to be calm about stuff like this because ultimately no harm has been done. 

They don't do a good just putting orders together, idk if its their shipping software or what but I'm sure there was space in the box with a case for the RAM. They just shipped an SSD separate from a case. and made me pay extra to get it around the same date 😞
my first order from them in over a year and a half. I've avoided them as much as I can and I'm not going to go back. I'll pay for B&H rush shipping over supporting newegg

B&H, adoramba are my go to places. I avoid shopping on amazon

outletPC is gone 😞

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

i get lots of MASIVe box and tinny thing it with 1 air bag in it witch dose nothing... company's cut cost and well it shows in how they package. amazon is well aware of using over sided boxes but dose nothing about it... they way they see it is cardboard manufacturers were going out of business until they came around...

but theres more problems then just that is also the shipping company's i offen see two trucks backed up to each other were the workers sort the own stuff so they can get done on time meaning the computer system is crap...

you get people like me that hate having to go pick something up at the post office as i have to bus there but i think i complained enough that they mostly leave it at the door now. i live in a good neighborhood and no my neighbors.

but i mean if im buying something form a store and there out of stock of something they some times ship what they have and ship the others later but it be nice to have a option to just wate tell the full order is there would save time, money and i can wate.

not only that my locl post offace has 65+ women delivery as they dont want to retire but dont want to lift anything more then 20 pounds.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

42 minutes ago, mwagen said:

Yeah, we get it, but I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. The only cost to you is having to wait a bit longer. Was this really worth starting a thread about? I don't know how old you are, but if this is how you're going to react when things in life don't always work out how you expect then I feel sorry for anybody who has to deal your attitude. Things like this happen all the time, so my suggestion is to learn to be calm about stuff like this because ultimately no harm has been done. 

Interesting, how you came up with a full analysis of my psyche from a single rant. Do you see me typing at my keyboard? Am I frothing at the mouth? Or am I calmly typing a rant, similar to others who have typed rants when they were upset. But you see me as an angry millennial having to wait an extra 5 minutes for my latte. Go back to psychology class.

Now let's clear the air, I am most likely much older then you. I was in college when Monica was giving Bill a happy ending. I have spent the last 4 months trying to build a PC and the GPU was my starting point. Once I got my GPU I was able to order the rest, and I ordered EVERYTHING from newegg. In fact, this is the second system i'm building this year, first one was for my kid, and everything ordered from newegg. I have spent over $7K at newegg this year alone in PC parts.

So when the last piece that I need to finish my PC is at least a week away, when I have everything else ready to go, then yeah, i'm upset. And you are just fueling the fire by shilling for newegg. Go back to your bosses there and tell them to fix their shipping department.

1 hour ago, Marty Z said:

Interesting 

Not shilling for newegg, just shared my experiences with them (good and bad) 🤷‍♂️. Of course you're entitled to express whatever you want, I just don't think in this case you're justified in bashing a company over what I feel is a minor thing, so I'm calling that out. Over the last 15+ years I've bought and sold hundreds of things online from a single bolt to an entire car. I imagine you have, too. And guess what? Sometimes shit happens, and dealing with a situation like yours, aka "waiting," is nothing in my book. The fact that you're ~10 years older than me and reacted by whining about it online doesn't seem like normal behavior for a well-adjusted adult. Kinda reveals you as the "Karen" type. 

2 minutes ago, mwagen said:

Not shilling for newegg, just sharing my experiences with them 🤷‍♂️. Of course you're entitled to express whatever you want, I just don't think in this case you're justified in bashing a company over what I feel is a minor thing, so I'm calling that out. Over the last 15+ years I've bought and sold hundreds of things online from a single bolt to an entire car. I imagine you have, too. And guess what? Sometimes shit happens, and dealing with a situation like yours, aka "waiting," is nothing in my book. The fact that you're ~10 years older than me and reacted by whining about it online doesn't seem like normal behavior for a well-adjusted adult. Kinda reveals you as the "Karen" type. 

Karen? So you've never complained about anything in your life? Something that is trivial to one is important to the other, and vise versa. You are the one stretching this thread along by complaining about me complaining.

8 minutes ago, Marty Z said:

Karen? So you've never complained about anything in your life? Something that is trivial to one is important to the other, and vise versa. You are the one stretching this thread along by complaining about me complaining.

Honestly, no, not on the internet about something as trivial as this, and I certainly won't be when I'm in my 40s either.