Corsair SF750 or CoolerMaster V850 SFX?

Hi! Im looking for an SFX PSU to replace my current 650 watt SFX PSU. For whatever reason 650W isnt cutting it anymore, and when I used two PSU's (One external for experiment purposes) games such as AC Valhalla worked fine, but with just the 650W one, it would BSOD on bootup of AC. Which of the two PSU's would be a better option? The Corsair one has better reviews and I trust Corsair more, and the CM one has more watts and has worse reviews. Thanks for any help!

My specs:

R5 3600

Asus B550-a gaming

Asus LC240 AIO

16GB Corsair vengance pro RGB

256GB M.2

2TB HDD (7.2k)

RTX 3060 ti

9 QL120

Lian Li O11-Mini

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

They're both on par with each other in the Tier list as being among the best in SFX PSUs. Like you though, I would put my trust more into the Corsair side. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

According to jonnyguru, trying to squeeze more than 650w out of an 80+ gold SFX PSU is not a good idea.
Hence why the SF750 is 80+ Platinum.
And iirc, he also said that 750W is the most one can safely "cram" into a true SFX unit.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I trust him on that.
If you ever find yourself buying a new PSU, try to avoid the Cooler Master V850 SFX and go for the SF750 Platinum.

21 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

it would BSOD on bootup of AC.

Check the error message the BSOD gives, that will tell you what the issue is. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, electropical said:

According to jonnyguru, trying to squeeze more than 650w out of an 80+ gold SFX PSU is not a good idea.
Hence why the SF750 is 80+ Platinum.
And iirc, he also said that 750W is the most one can safely "cram" into a true SFX unit.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I trust him on that.
If you ever find yourself buying a new PSU, try to avoid the Cooler Master V850 SFX and go for the SF750 Platinum.

In fact, the V850 is 80plus platinum 😃

But I agree. I've seen a lot of reviews about V SFX being overly loud with stupid fan controllers. 

7 hours ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Hi! Im looking for an SFX PSU to replace my current 650 watt SFX PSU. For whatever reason 650W isnt cutting it anymore, and when I used two PSU's (One external for experiment purposes) games such as AC Valhalla worked fine, but with just the 650W one, it would BSOD on bootup of AC. Which of the two PSU's would be a better option? The Corsair one has better reviews and I trust Corsair more, and the CM one has more watts and has worse reviews. Thanks for any help!

My specs:

R5 3600

Asus B550-a gaming

Asus LC240 AIO

256GB M.2

2TB HDD (7.2k)

RTX 3060 ti

9 QL120

Lian Li O11-Mini

And for that PC spec, maybe 600W would be enough. First, make sure there are no problems with the old PSU.

10 hours ago, MarvintheParrot said:

My specs:

R5 3600

Asus B550-a gaming

Asus LC240 AIO

256GB M.2

2TB HDD (7.2k)

RTX 3060 ti

9 QL120

Lian Li O11-Mini

What's the current 650W SFX PSU?  You only have a 3060 Ti. Just because it's "650W" doesn't mean that it's equal to all other 650W PSUs in the universe.

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What's the current 650W SFX PSU?  You only have a 3060 Ti. Just because it's "650W" doesn't mean that it's equal to all other 650W PSUs in the universe.

I guess it's the Seasonic SGX650 as mentioned in his sig.

8 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

In fact, the V850 is 80plus platinum 😃

I personally couldn't find any (decent) review of it, not even a Cybenetics report of the 850w unit, but since you're the final boss of review hunting, I guess you found some review somewhere 😝
Any idea why Cooler Master is marketing it as 80+gold instead of 80+plat ?

17 minutes ago, electropical said:

I personally couldn't find any (decent) review of it, not even a Cybenetics report of the 850w unit, but since you're the final boss of review hunting, I guess you found some review somewhere 😝
Any idea why Cooler Master is marketing it as 80+gold instead of 80+plat ?

The 80+ report says Platinum.

• Cooler Master
  • MPY-8501-SFHAGV
  • ATX12V
  • 87.94%
  • 91.16%
  • 92.22%
  • 89.59%
  • Platinum
  • 01/24/2020

It only passed for Platinum at 50% load by 0.22% and at 100% load by 0.59%. The unit sampled only just makes it over the 80+ Platinum requirements and it's possible different units Cooler Master tested internally didn't match that which is why they're selling it as 80+ Gold.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, electropical said:

I personally couldn't find any (decent) review of it,

The only available decent reviews are of 2 seperate things (and not complete reviews). A video about the fan issues and the revised edition where the noise issues are fixed. The first video is from machines&more. Just proof that the company that actually makes the psu is fast to respond. And the second video from Aris which is a test of it vs other PSUs using a 3090 (checking for transient issues I guess, and generally just testing high consumption PSUs)

The one reason I think MWE V.2 units and V-series V.2 units (generally all the new Cooler Master stuff made by Gospower) are a good buy is that even though there issues with initial production units, is because the following 2 things stand out:

1. MWE White/Bronze are over-engineered for where they fall in their respective price class, and both White and Bronze are basically between bronze and silver in efficiency, and have more in common with more expensive PSUs than their respective competition (all the white units have been rebranded into bronze recently anyway).

2. Gospower is really fast to respond, revise and promise to release new versions as soon as an issue pops up (Coil whine due to high ripple and other incorrectly set stuff on the White/Bronze).

3. Gospower is really fast to respond, revise and actually release new versions as soon as an issue pops up (in the case of the SFX model, where they changed the fan behavior to fix the noise issues.

All of this points to Gospower being very eager to prove themselves, gain a foothold in the market, and gain a good reputation, which is always a good sign. Cooler Master is either playing ball (or guiding this) as smoothly as Fractal Design and there's no Gigabyte-like saving face shenanigans at play.

And most importantly the usual unpredictable timeframe for when old stock should disappear from bigger markets is mute due to the insane demand, and there's almost certainly no old stock of any of these PSUs in big markets (and frankly other than like 400-500w models, I doubt there's any old stock in smaller markets as well). 

4 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

The only available decent reviews are of 2 seperate things (and not complete reviews). A video about the fan issues and the revised edition where the noise issues are fixed. The first video is from machines&more. Just proof that the company that actually makes the psu is fast to respond. And the second video from Aris which is a test of it vs other PSUs using a 3090 (checking for transient issues I guess, and generally just testing high consumption PSUs)

The one reason I think MWE V.2 units and V-series V.2 units (generally all the new Cooler Master stuff made by Gospower) are a good buy is that even though there issues with initial production units, is because the following 2 things stand out:

1. MWE White/Bronze are over-engineered for where they fall in their respective price class, and both White and Bronze are basically between bronze and silver in efficiency, and have more in common with more expensive PSUs than their respective competition (all the white units have been rebranded into bronze recently anyway).

2. Gospower is really fast to respond, revise and promise to release new versions as soon as an issue pops up (Coil whine due to high ripple and other incorrectly set stuff on the White/Bronze).

3. Gospower is really fast to respond, revise and actually release new versions as soon as an issue pops up (in the case of the SFX model, where they changed the fan behavior to fix the noise issues.

All of this points to Gospower being very eager to prove themselves, gain a foothold in the market, and gain a good reputation, which is always a good sign. Cooler Master is either playing ball (or guiding this) as smoothly as Fractal Design and there's no Gigabyte-like saving face shenanigans at play.

And most importantly the usual unpredictable timeframe for when old stock should disappear from bigger markets is mute due to the insane demand, and there's almost certainly no old stock of any of these PSUs in big markets (and frankly other than like 400-500w models, I doubt there's any old stock in smaller markets as well). 

Interesting to see how diligent Gospower is, I had no idea they were that open to change.

The main problem with them is their lack of experience.
We recently found out that even a veteran OEM like CWT is capable of designing problematic SFX PSUs...
I wish Gospower success, still, given how difficult the task seems to be, I wouldn't buy an SFX PSU designed by them.

17 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

I'm curious what they've done to the V1100 SFX :old-grin:

1100 watts in an SFX PSU chassis...
Fearless ! 😆