Need help. I think I messed up opening an email I shouldn't have.

King_PIN

I received a reply on Friday from a manufacturer I deal with an estimate on 2 things I asked for.  

The quotes came in zip files.  I know that should have been enough right there for me to stop but I didn't.  

Not sure what I was thinking but it came through my gmail no issue, I scanned the zips after I saved them, and I also scanned them after "I EXTRACTED THEM".  FML Yes I'm a frikking IDIOT!!!

They were office files I think .xml but when I opened them I couldn't view them because I had to enable the editing option which I didn't do.  

Today I received an email from the company saying please don't open any zip files from them because their systems were hacked.  FML FML FML  

TL/DR I'm a moron and not sure what I should now.  

I haven't had any issues since 10 years ago and I remember at that time I could go to Norton or somewhere and get my computer scanned.  

Help! 

1 minute ago, King_PIN said:

I received a reply on Friday from a manufacturer I deal with an estimate on 2 things I asked for.  

The quotes came in zip files.  I know that should have been enough right there for me to stop but I didn't.  

Not sure what I was thinking but it came through my gmail no issue, I scanned the zips after I saved them, and I also scanned them after "I EXTRACTED THEM".  FML Yes I'm a frikking IDIOT!!!

They were office files I think .xml but when I opened them I couldn't view them because I had to enable the editing option which I didn't do.  

Today I received an email from the company saying please don't open any zip files from them because their systems were hacked.  FML FML FML  

TL/DR I'm a moron and not sure what I should now.  

I haven't had any issues since 10 years ago and I remember at that time I could go to Norton or somewhere and get my computer scanned.  

Help! 

Download and run Malwarebytes. Make sure you disconnect your internet while doing so. Also go through once you're comfortable you're not infected (I personally would do a full system wipe to be safe) with anything and change all your passwords. If you have made any online purchases from the computer, I would put a hold on your cards and bank accounts and get new cards issued. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you didn't click edit, then the files were opened in read only mode, and no macros were launched, so you should be fine.

Malicious code hidden in macros has to run in order to infect your computer, just viewing the spreadsheet in read only mode should be fine.

You can use https://virustotal.com to check if the file has viruses. Just extract the excel files somewhere, then drag the excel file onto the page and the website will scan the file with a bunch of antiviruses and protection products.

Running Malwarebytes all I get is this which after research looks ok.  PUM=Potentially Unwanted Modification

I've also run Microsoft's offline scanner which runs when on a reboot offline and it found nothing.  

What I found about these 2 PUM's. 

those both relate to the monthly MS Malacious sorftware removal tool. KB890830 and telematry from it
They are known registry tweaks, So at some stage you have either created them manually or have used a tweak program to install them.

They are NOT malware, its up to you how you would like Malwarebytes to treat them.
If you did insert those entries, all you need do is untick them in the Threat scan report once the scan has completed, it should then give you the option to ignore.

Untitled.thumb.png.bd3561a053e7c0d9f6c10b486c887202.png

Then, like others have said, because you didn't actually open them, they couldn't actually affect your system. You're safe.

Next time you're unsure, you can always just use Windows 10's "Windows Sandbox" feature and open the zip file in there, first. It's what I do whenever I download some random compressed file from God knows where.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Then, like others have said, because you didn't actually open them, they couldn't actually affect your system. You're safe.

Next time you're unsure, you can always just use Windows 10's "Windows Sandbox" feature and open the zip file in there, first. It's what I do whenever I download some random compressed file from God knows where.

I'm usually very anal about what I do on my computer.  I'm not sure what or why I decided to open these zip folders as I know better.  

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv