Can't figure out RAID 0 configuration in Windows

SirGh0st

Hi I just bought two Crucial P5 nvme ssds(1tb each) to run in raid 0. Windows in installed on separete SATA SSD. I setup RAID 0 in bios with my new 2 drives, but windows doesn't see them and they are showing as 2 separate drives in Disk Managment. I read somewhere that i need to update raid drivers in Device manager but I don't now which one. I will provide pictures. I would really appreciete any help. My motherboard is B550 Tomahawk with Ryzen 5600x.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 204734.png

Don't use the motherboard raid, turn off raid in the board.

Use storage spaces for raid, Setup a simple volume with number of collumns set to 2 and you will get the full raid 0 performance.

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Device manager is the wrong place to look, you want to be looking in disk management. 

I did, also showing as two separate drives.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 205129.png

1 minute ago, SirGh0st said:

Screenshot 2021-08-24 205129.png

Then setup the raid array in storage spaces in windows and you will have a raid 0 setup.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Use storage spaces for raid, Setup a simple volume with number of collumns set to 2 and you will get the full raid 0 performance.

I'd stick to a MOBO raid personally, AMD's raid function is pretty terrible. But storage spaces is so much worse. 

Can't do. My windows is already installed with raid driver and I don't want to reinstall it.

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

I'd stick to a MOBO raid personally, AMD's raid function is pretty terrible. But storage spaces is so much worse. 

How is storage spaces much worse? Storage spacse has about the same performance, amd raid also uses cpu power. Storage spaces is also much flexible if you want to add drives later on or add hdds that are cached. Also it moves between systems much better.

1 minute ago, SirGh0st said:

The raid array hasn't been built, I rebuilt my PC in December and built my raid 0 using AMD's built in one. It was stupidly complicated and if I remember correctly quite deceitful in making you think you'd created an array when you hadn't. No disrespect towards your knowledge, but did you follow a guide or just figure it out for yourself? Because i ended up having to follow a guide after I couldn't for the life of me get it to work. 

How is storage spaces much worse? Storage spacse has about the same performance, amd raid also uses cpu power. Storage spaces is also much flexible if you want to add drives later on or add hdds that are cached. Also it moves between systems much better.

Not planing to do any of that. So for my application it is pointless, I would like to stick to motherboard hardware raid.

don't waste your time / effort on raid.  Just use them as storage space.

there is literally zero benefit to running RAID on NVME. 

2 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

The raid array hasn't been built, I rebuilt my PC in December and built my raid 0 using AMD's built in one. It was stupidly complicated and if I remember correctly quite deceitful in making you think you'd created an array when you hadn't. No disrespect towards your knowledge, but did you follow a guide or just figure it out for yourself? Because i ended up having to follow a guide after I couldn't for the life of me get it to work. 

It says and shows in the Bios the Raid 0 is all good to go. I did figure it by myself i coulnt find any guides for this problem.

Both times I've used storage spaces I've had one drive corrupt, requiring a wipe to recover (losing all the data in the process). I know it wasn't the drives faults as they are the same ones I'm still running and are still working flawlessly. 

Just now, SirGh0st said:

It says and shows in the Bios the Raid 0 is all good to go.

That's the point I'm trying to make, I cant remember it well. But I had the same issue of the BIOS saying the raid was built but windows couldn't detected it. Followed a guide before it worked. 

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

don't waste your time / effort on raid.  Just use them as storage space.

there is literally zero benefit to running RAID on NVME. 

Thanks you for your opinion but I will continue to run them in raid. No offense.

2 minutes ago, SirGh0st said:

Not planing to do any of that. So for my application it is pointless, I would like to stick to motherboard hardware raid.

There is no hardware raid on your board. Its all software raid here. Use storage spaces in windows, its the best software raid solution you can use here. Don't use the motherboard raid, its just worse in all ways here.

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Both times I've used storage spaces I've had one drive corrupt, requiring a wipe to recover (losing all the data in the process). I know it wasn't the drives faults as they are the same ones I'm still running and are still working flawlessly. 

Not sure what happened there. Storage spaces is a pretty solid solution, and much more trusted than amd raid, with many servers using it.

Just now, SirGh0st said:

Thanks you for your opinion but I will continue to run them in raid. No offense.

honestly curious, what benefit will it give you?

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

That's the point I'm trying to make, I cant remember it well. But I had the same issue of the BIOS saying the raid was built but windows couldn't detected it. Followed a guide before it worked. 

Could you maybe help me find some guide? I would really appreciete it.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

honestly curious, what benefit will it give you?

Well RAID 0 supposed to be faster then single SSD. Also want to have just one 2TB drive instead of two 1TB drives. (I bought them because it was much cheaper than one 2tb drive)

Just now, SirGh0st said:

Well RAID 0 supposed to be faster then single SSD. Also want to have just one 2TB drive instead of two 1TB drives. (I bought them because it was much cheaper than one 2tb drive)

Speed won't matter, but might as well go raid here.

But really just use storage spaces. Much simpler to setup. easier to move between systems. And just as fast. And you don't have to deal with the amd raid either.

Just now, SirGh0st said:

So two things:

1) About speed:  In theory, it is.  In practice, it's not, for a few reasons:

First:  Only one M.2 slot on your board has 4x PCI-E Lanes for full speed access.  (The second is shared chipset bandwidth.)

Second:  NVME Drives are so fast?  Actual real world use you literally can't tell the difference anymore.  (Benchmarks?  Sure, big numbers et all, but loading a game?  You literally can't tell.)

2) If you want 2TB of space?  Just use storage spaces, it'll be less of a headache.

8 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

(23) RAID setup (BIOS) MSI motherboard - YouTube

try this one, make sure you delete (Ideally completely reset your bios) the current raid before. 

All these tutorials are before installing windows, not my case. I checked the video and I did everything right, it's just that windows see them as 2 separate drives.

2 minutes ago, SirGh0st said:

All these tutorials are before installing windows, not my case. I checked the video and I did everything right, it's just that windows see them as 2 separate drives.

The fact that its before windows doesn't matter. 

54 minutes ago, SirGh0st said:

That's a lot of headache for some benchmark numbers as that's the only place it'll be faster. 

RAID has been dead on the desktop for quite a while.