need some monitor ideas

xreaperx22

hey guys i need help in picking out a really good monitor for my new build,it will be running off of a 3090,nothing bigger than 48 inches and nothing smaller than 27 inches,im not looking for a super competitive million hertz monitor or anything lol but i am looking for the absolute best image quality,oh sorry also want it to be a 4k monitor,the only one i came up with is the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9,i would rather it not be an ultra wide but if thats the best than ill deal with it,also would love for it to have gsync ultimate or at least regular gsync,i think thats it guys any ideas would be great! thanks.

Well funny enough Linus did just do a video about the new gigabyte aorus 48inch oled gaming screen. Seems to be very nice.

Keep in mind that the 3090 is not a 4k 144fps card in a lot of games when you want to run at decent settings.

The g9 is a stupid monitor basically not a lot of games even function correctly on it. That's besides the ips glow, colour zoning, colour reproduction,... issues.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, jaslion said:

Well funny enough Linus did just do a video about the new gigabyte aorus 48inch oled gaming screen. Seems to be very nice.

Keep in mind that the 3090 is not a 4k 144fps card in a lot of games when you want to run at decent settings.

The g9 is a stupid monitor basically not a lot of games even function correctly on it. That's besides the ips glow, colour zoning, colour reproduction,... issues.

i think theres a G7 also maybe that would be better? yeah i seen that vid its not an ultra wide either so thats a plus for me.

51 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

i think theres a G7 also maybe that would be better? yeah i seen that vid its not an ultra wide either so thats a plus for me.

The g7 is an ultra wide and suffers from the exact same issues as the g9.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

The g7 is an ultra wide and suffers from the exact same issues as the g9.

The G7 is 16:9. - 1440p, 240Hz (for the odyssey version)

On 8/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, jaslion said:

That's besides the ips glow, colour zoning, colour reproduction,... issues.

It's a VA panel that does have local dimming, but it's obviously still not as good as an OLED with per pixel luminance. (The G7 is also a VA panel, but does not have local dimming, making it even worse for unintentional bloom and whatnot.)

All that being said, an OLED will be the best option. Even if you won't get 4k/120fps in everything, you'll get 4k/60-80 in a lot and 4k/120 in a handful of older/less demanding games. 

I've got my PC hooked up to my OLED and I love it.

2 hours ago, Colty said:

It's a VA panel that does have local dimming, but it's obviously still not as good as an OLED with per pixel luminance. (The G7 is also a VA panel, but does not have local dimming, making it even worse for unintentional bloom and whatnot.)

All that being said, an OLED will be the best option. Even if you won't get 4k/120fps in everything, you'll get 4k/60-80 in a lot and 4k/120 in a handful of older/less demanding games. 

cool i was really wanting an oled,was waiting for someone that had one to say wether it was good or not,if you dont mind me asking which model do you have? after watching that latest linus vid on the AORUS FO48U im thinking i may grab that one,tho a smaller display would be nice but if linus likes is going to use it than it must be pretty good lol I was also considering the asus ProArt PA32UCG that thing looks like it would have the best image quality.

8 hours ago, Colty said:

My bad I thought of the wrong monitor here. But apart from not being an oled all issues still apply and the huge quality difference between units is just not ok as you basically have to gamble if you get a good unit that reviewers got or some random mess of a panel.

First off, stay away from any Samsung monitor. They have shown repediately that they cannot figure out the software side of things. Every release from their Odyssey lineup came with many flaws that weren't apparent in reviews, but were dealbreakers after all. (Likely because of cherry picked review units) And they didn't even fix these issues on the original G7/G9. Now they're still present on the new G9 Neo.

If you want the best of the best in terms of image quality, response times and especially HDR, (and you only use your display for content consumption, not creation) then the LG C1 OLED 48" is the way to go. If you're a content creator i'd stay away from OLED though and get something like the Gigabyte M28U or LG 27GP950 as a good IPS alternative.

Also worth to mention that burn-in IS a risk even with modern OLED's. It's small and will likely take a few years before you will notice it, but it's present.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:41 PM, xreaperx22 said:

cool i was really wanting an oled,was waiting for someone that had one to say wether it was good or not,if you dont mind me asking which model do you have? after watching that latest linus vid on the AORUS FO48U im thinking i may grab that one,tho a smaller display would be nice but if linus likes is going to use it than it must be pretty good lol I was also considering the asus ProArt PA32UCG that thing looks like it would have the best image quality.

The smallest available OLED right now is 48". Apparently a 42" is coming in a year or two though. I have the LG CX, but what Linus said about PC specific features on the Gigabyte is true. If you get an extended "accidental" warranty through BestBuy or MicroCenter, you can always use that should burn in (or something else) occur. I got mine with a plan from MicroCenter. If it gets damaged during a move, develops burn in, or anything else, I'm covered.