Tracks Converted To MP4 Won't Load Into Mixxx! Is There A Better Method...? 🤔

As some of you might recall, in 1 of the previous posts I made here, I inquired about being able to convert non-MP4 tracks/files to MP4 & I remember 1 person suggested/recommended Handbrake while someone else suggested/recommended Format Factory which I had never heard of. Here's the sitch as of right now: I managed to convert the tracks that were of both WEBM & KVM file types to MP4 using VLC's convert feature. The only problem I have now is that the tracks/files won't load into Mixxx for whatever reason(s). I'm not sure if how I converted the tracks is the issue or if it's something else entirely... [To be clear, I have never really converted file types before. Thought it was easy, but I guess the reality of it is it can depend.] 🤷‍♂️

So in a way, I'm kind of back to square 1 on this. 😕 But I have some other questions: 

1.) Is VLC not the greatest at converting files or does it more come down to user experience & how you do it?

2.) Should I have used a different piece of software instead of VLC? 

Well, I'm hoping someone knowledgeable/experienced enough might be able to help me out on this since it appears I'm not the best at doing this sort of thing yet. I think you all know the routine: If you have any questions about this you might need to ask me go right ahead & do so! And If you just need more details, same thing applies there. Thanks & hope to hear back from someone who can be of help! 🙂

VLC is a "jack of all trade, master of none" type of software.

If you want to convert your files, I also recommend handbrake.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

VLC is a "jack of all trade, master of none" type of software.

If you want to convert your files, I also recommend handbrake.

Hm. Is it technically considered to be better in your opinion? 

1 minute ago, Kjennings92 said:

Hm. Is it technically considered to be better in your opinion? 

Yes?
It's literally designed for this purpose. To convert one format to another. That feature was just tacked on VLC and is a complete after-thought that comes with plenty of conditions required for it to work properly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Yes?
It's literally designed for this purpose. To convert one format to another. That feature was just tacked on VLC and is a complete after-thought that comes with plenty of conditions required for it to work properly.

So in other words, converting files using VLC is pretty much pointless unless you KNOW it's going to work? Man, if that's the case, then I feel like such an idiot... 🤦‍♂️ Oh well, you live & learn I guess. Thanks confirming!

Edited by Kjennings92

Well, ever since I have converted the files I wanted to a few days ago, I'm unsure as to whether I did it correctly. Why, do you ask? Because I stated in 1 of my previous posts that I needed to convert both some WEBM & MVK files to MP4 for my project.

I managed to do so with HandBrake even though I've never used it before & I do specifically remember that I had it set to MP4 during the conversion process. (I looked up a guide on how to convert my files using it & I followed it to the letter.) But the odd thing is that my files that I converted are showing up as M4V after I converted them. Now according to a web search, M4V was developed by Apple & is "very similar" to MP4. So that leaves my questions that I have:

1.) Even though I followed the guide I found step by step, is it possible that I didn't convert my files correctly or something?

2.) If I did convert my files correctly, then why are they showing up as M4V INSTEAD OF MP4? 🤔 And IF I did, will I be able to successfully load them to Mixxx since that will be part of my process? 

So yeah, obviously, I really don't have ton of experience with this sort of thing under my belt, but that should be where you helpful, knowledgeable & more experienced people come into play! ;) Anyway, if you wish to know any additional details or need to ask me something, I think you know what to do. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

WHat is your goal with the files, why do you need MP4? What codec do you need?

Normally m4v files will play in most players just fine.

Go to settings, there is an option for that. It says use M4V instead of MP4. It's a check box. I'm not in front of my PC otherwise I'd post a screenshot. It's right on the main preference page. 

==threads merged==

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

37 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

WHat is your goal with the files, why do you need MP4? What codec do you need?

Normally m4v files will play in most players just fine.

I really don't know if the codec is all that important TBH. But in order to load these converted tracks to a deck in Mixxx, they have to be in a file type/format that it would recognize. (File types/formats supported are a little lackluster at the moment. I made a post on the Mixx forum & a couple guys filled me in, but I forget exactly what they said.) So basically, I will use Mixx to analyze the bpms/tempo of each track & that will alter enable me to come up with a track listing for my project. 

37 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Go to settings, there is an option for that. It says use M4V instead of MP4. It's a check box. I'm not in front of my PC otherwise I'd post a screenshot. It's right on the main preference page. 

Yeah, I found the setting in HandBrake you were talking about. It's actually under the Output Files tab called MP4 File Extension & it's currently set to Automatic in my case. Should I just set it to "Always use MP4" & that would fix the problem? 

3 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

I really don't know if the codec is all that important TBH. But in order to load these converted tracks to a deck in Mixxx, they have to be in a file type/format that it would recognize. (File types/formats supported are a little lackluster at the moment. I made a post on the Mixx forum & a couple guys filled me in, but I forget exactly what they said.) So basically, I will use Mixx to analyze the bpms/tempo of each track & that will alter enable me to come up with a track listing for my project. 

Well the codec makes a massive difference. There are lots of codecs that mp4 can store, and they probably won't all work. What supported files does it list?

4 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Yeah, I found the setting in HandBrake you were talking about. It's actually under the Output Files tab called MP4 File Extension & it's currently set to Automatic in my case. Should I just set it to "Always use MP4" & that would fix the problem? 

This was the setting I was talking about:

handbrake1.jpg

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

This was the setting I was talking about:

handbrake1.jpg

Oh. Your UI looks a bit different compared to mine. I DO have the latest version of HandBrake on my system. But please bear in mind that if you check my profile, I'm running Windows 10 of course. Just looking at your UI, I'd say you're most likely running it in Linux. Or MacOS, but that's just my guess...

3 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Oh. Your UI looks a bit different compared to mine. I DO have the latest version of HandBrake on my system. But please bear in mind that if you check my profile, I'm running Windows 10 of course. Just looking at your UI, I'd say you're most likely running it in Linux. Or MacOS, but that's just my guess...

I am running Linux I really don't use Windows for anything other than gaming. I fired up a Windows machine real quick and I have those options in Handbrake.

That should solve your issue:

handbrake2.jpg

Also worth noting, the M4V just supports DRM, it's essentially the same thing as an MP4 (with DRM support). Since Handbrake didn't add DRM, you should be able to just change the file extension on these files to MP4. Assuming the issue is just the file extension. If not handbrake will fly through a re-encode, as there is nothing to transcode really.

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

I am running Linux I really don't use Windows for anything other than gaming. I fired up a Windows machine real quick and I have those options in Handbrake.

That should solve your issue:

handbrake2.jpg

Also worth noting, the M4V just supports DRM, it's essentially the same thing as an MP4 (with DRM support). Since Handbrake didn't add DRM, you should be able to just change the file extension on these files to MP4. Assuming the issue is just the file extension. If not handbrake will fly through a re-encode, as there is nothing to transcode really.

Huh. So should I just set that option to "Always use MP4" & just re-convert my tracks again just to see if it works? I mean, I only have 41 tracks to convert total & it wouldn't take too long at all.

I would, you can test one file, but I believe it will happen pretty much instantly as there is nothing to convert. I believe you can just change the extension if you want.  Do they still not load into Mixx for you?

11 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I would, you can test one file, but I believe it will happen pretty much instantly as there is nothing to convert. I believe you can just change the extension if you want.  Do they still not load into Mixx for you?

Well, I haven't tried loading them into a deck in Mixxx yet. I might just re-convert them & THEN load them once I confirm that they're the right file type/format.