Tomshardware Tests New Nvidia Drivers (337.5)

IAmSkip

So Tomshardware has tested Nvidia's new 337.5 drivers on the 780ti.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-337.50-driver-benchmarks,26473.html

In summary, the improvements that Nvidia boasted didn't really translate into a huge improvement (surprise),

although Starswarms numbers are quite good. 

But hey, free performance improvement nonetheless

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

Does it also improve Battlefield 4 performance on the GTX 660?

TH's benchmarks comparing the two Nvidia drivers seems to match up with Nvidia's graphs (as long as you realized the marketing fluff that expressed everything in normalized fps). I can't seem to find TH's benchmark review for Mantle, however, so I can't figure out if they're "beating Mantle" as they claim. (I don't want to compare benchmarks from two different review sites).

It's a shame they didn't do some SLI benchmarks, though.

The Nvidia page about it said for all 700 series cards so I'm not sure but since 700 series is mostly a rebadge there is a chance that they could.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

They are all benchmarking it wrong.

Mantle as well as this driver is supposed to reduce CPU overhead.
So you have to test a single card with different CPU configurations.
Of course there won't be a big jump if you run an i7 4770k because that CPU is a beast that will make up for every bottleneck DirectX 11 causes.

RTX2070OC 

Well, people always bitched that Starswarm was AMD marketing fluff, not so much.

Toms got it right, this is Nvidia saying that you don't need to make a new API for low level interaction and less CPU overhead. That you can get DirectX to that level with hardwork, without requiring developers to do yet another new thing they might not want to. 

What would you pick as a developer? Mantle which only will ever be supported by AMD. Or DirectX, which is the one true STANDARD that everyone plays by? And why would you pick Mantle if DirectX can be optimized right down to Mantle levels without requiring a new API? 

IF anything, lets thank AMD for getting Nvidia to work a little bit harder to try and make what AMD just introduced utterly meaningless. 

I went for a round with the new drivers, can't say if it improved but it certainly didn't get worse, still capping 60FPS at high settings.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I went for a round with the new drivers, can't say if it improved but it certainly didn't get worse, still capping 60FPS at high settings.

On a GTX 660 in levolutionairy situations on Conquest Large Maps? Not likely.

So the and I quote "god like" driver is a 2-5FPS improvement its pretty much what I'd expect out of any driver update, AMD does the same thing with their graphs to make it look like huge improvements. The Starswarm improvements are impressive.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I'm not surprised about these results, really. The "up to 70% better SLI performance!"-jumbo just means that the SLI drivers for those games weren't that great to begin with.

The single-digit percentage increase is normal for drivers optimized for single cards. Better drivers is good as a whole, though.

How about testing it on an i3 or a Pentium, which is more like what the majority of gamers actually use, and are less likely to be able to brute-force their way through the DX overhead bottleneck?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

These test have 0 value in my eyes. Check guru3d website and read their forums. ALOT of people are mentioning huge improvements over alot of games, some of wich weren't even mentioned by nvidia.

What would you pick as a developer? Mantle which only will ever be supported by AMD. Or DirectX, which is the one true STANDARD that everyone plays by?

That would be opengl.

AMD and Nvidia are always playing a game of cat and mouse.  AMD = the mouse ; Nvidia = cat.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

i expected this ......

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Man for me as long as am getting constant fix 60 fps in all my games i am a happy man

I agree with the OP sentiment: less exiting but hey, free beer it's always welcome even if it's a kinda crappy brand and sorta warm

EDIT: My fucking gods, sorry for derailing but if you click on next and see those ISP upload speeds...1mbps? Fucking seriously? Rogers is a canadian ISP if I remember correctly from my time in B.C. right? How is it possible than a "developing" country like Mexico can get 5mbps uploads on the worst available speed plan and you first world guys have to settle for a stupid 1mbps? 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I agree with the OP sentiment: less exiting but hey, free beer it's always welcome even if it's a kinda crappy brand and sorta warm

EDIT: My fucking gods, sorry for derailing but if you click on next and see those ISP upload speeds...1mbps? Fucking seriously? Rogers is a canadian ISP if I remember correctly from my time in B.C. right? How is it possible than a "developing" country like Mexico can get 5mbps uploads on the worst available speed plan and you first world guys have to settle for a stupid 1mbps? 

Easy. People put up with it. This will never happen but if everyone canceled their internet connection for a month is protest you would see them running at 100Mph o improve their infrastructure.

Easy. People put up with it. This will never happen but if everyone canceled their internet connection for a month is protest you would see them running at 100Mph o improve their infrastructure.

That's what gets me the infrastructure is obviously already there: look at the downstream! Can you limit it to a 40/10 connection instead of 60/get fucked? Online gaming must really suck over there. Hopefully LAN parties are still a thing

-------

Current Rig

-------

On a GTX 660 in levolutionairy situations on Conquest Large Maps? Not likely.

Yes I do get stable 60FPS, only exception is when there is a levolution event going on and then I get a drop like everybody does.

Other thing I noticed was a lot faster transition from the gam to the start menu.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

My SLI'd 660s don't see the underside of 70, ever. Its about the cheapest upgrade I could've done for more frames (250 for 2 cards. Just try and beat that for what you get with two 660s)