Newer and higher end GPU cards, hot, hot hot?!? (future of cooling?)

Are we seeing that we need more cooling compared to the standard AIR solutions and surface area?

Like the 3080 TI, this one being water cooled and Air cooled around the Chip that is water cooled.

To the focus of having more cooling dedicated to certain parts of the GPU or future GPUs?

So this type of mixing and isolating the heat away, would become normal for GPUs? (could be harder to find cases to fit the rad)

(if they want it as a general question or just put this thread in cooling, meh)

I'd say its definitely not out of the realm of possibilities that we see this trend continue but only in high end models (Strix, FTW3, Gaming X Trio etc.) And as parts start to become more efficient it will also fall off. Currently for some stuff we really are pushing thermal bounds (3090 memory modules for example) where It really is a great idea if not nearly necessary in some cases. But in other cases its just not necessary but it certainly doesn't hurt the card run as cool as possible and boost as high as possible without modding or manual OC. 

On 8/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, Dragoonski said:

(3090 memory modules for example)

Have a 2013 PC,  lacking the knowledge but slowly learning some things about today's hardware.  That is a common thing I've seen and read about that card.

If my future intention(in 1-2 years timeframe) is to be able to run modern GPU tech (3xxx series), at stock, not interested in OC or anything.  No watercooling/radiators, due to added costs.

3060 would be the coolest running card at stock?  or is it more complicated than that?   Temps are my first priority, taking into account what I posted above.

5 hours ago, Snail Jerky said:

3060 would be the coolest running card at stock?  or is it more complicated than that?   Temps are my first priority, taking into account what I posted above.

the lower cards, can check by review too. Will produce less heat, by how many watts it wll use to performance, but needs a "correct" cooler. As some AIB? isn't always fitting the coolers right and adding thermal pads can increase safety if done correctly and reduce heat on the modules. As some coolers might "only" cover the core/chip on the GPU.

anything around 6800 or 6700 to 3070 will run lower and produce less heat. not sure what the watt limit could be currently on the current card designs.

Maybe something like what it shows below in the video, maybe the heat becomes a bit unsafe around 300 or below 280 for the card itself.

also then the cooling itself, with newer hardware is good to see if your cooling works. As sometimes the airflow is bad etc, so check your temps at least (if around 70c it should be good, 80+ can be a bit harder for everything on the card)

3 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

As sometimes the airflow is bad etc, so check your temps at least (if around 70c it should be good, 80+ can be a bit harder for everything on the card)

Thanks for the tidbit of information.  I have no modern PC building experience(store built it for me),  but I did toy around with airflow with my 2013 PC. That will be something I will manage well I hope. 🙂

And your post clued me into, that a specific card model,  may have different heat characteristics based on who manufactured it.

(EVGA has treated me well for 12+ years now.  I was always going to be considering them for upgrades.  But oof,  it may not be what I need when the time comes...)

So yea thanks again for the insight!

Board partners need to make beefier (and thicker) heatsinks. I have a morpheus cooler on my 5700xt and it's an absolute beast. It's a thick boy, but it gets the job done.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:23 AM, Snail Jerky said:

Most modern cards dynamically oc by design to maximize performance within safe thermal and power limits. 

Why are you so concerned about temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Most modern cards dynamically oc by design to maximize performance within safe thermal and power limits. 

yeah, but I think the fear that some of the exploding 3080s or 3090s. like the situation with new world.

while that shouldn't be much of an issue if one maybe know or monitor the "PC health" like temps under heavy loads, if your airflow or cooler is good enough.

Might be in areas where it's limited airflow or "none", so having less temperature issues, I guess? just guessing.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

yeah, but I think the fear that some of the exploding 3080s or 3090s. like the situation with new world.

while that shouldn't be much of an issue if one maybe know or monitor the "PC health" like temps under heavy loads, if your airflow or cooler is good enough.

Might be in areas where it's limited airflow or "none", so having less temperature issues, I guess? just guessing.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was a fan speed bug specific to an EVGA card. If there was a common overheating issue, it would've been discovered at launch. 

The graphics card already has a fan curve by default that's meant to keep temps in check. I use HWInfo for monitoring temps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Unless I'm mistaken, that was a fan speed bug specific to an EVGA card. If there was a common overheating issue, it would've been discovered at launch. 

The graphics card already has a fan curve by default that's meant to keep temps in check. I use HWInfo for monitoring temps. 

thought it was a frame limiting issue, were it could go infinite amount of frames in the start menu due to no cap on the FPS in the menu? Which caused high temps and blowing certain components that could not take the heat (far away from sensor) + voltage? not to sure, maybe other issues like you said too.

6 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

thought it was a frame limiting issue, were it could go infinite amount of frames in the start menu due to no cap on the FPS in the menu? Which caused high temps and blowing certain components that could not take the heat (far away from sensor) + voltage? not to sure, maybe other issues like you said too.

Uncapped fps shouldn't cause a hardware failure. 

IgorsLab's testing showed that the fan controller had an issue with trying to run the fan at much higher rpm than possible which demanded too much power. https://www.igorslab.de/en/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3090-and-not-only-new-world-when-the-graphics-card-goes-amok-because-of-design-failures/

Limiting power limits and fps doesn't fix the underlying issue. 

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I have a small space, not much room airflow.  I look at keeping things as cool as possible to avoid issues.  Also comfort as room can heat up quite a bit with PC on.

Simplicity and costs are my constraints. So when I do pick something out,  I want it at a good place right off the bat. 

(I won't be changing things,  spending more to make it better/cooler.)

2 hours ago, Snail Jerky said:

I have a small space, not much room airflow.  I look at keeping things as cool as possible to avoid issues.  Also comfort as room can heat up quite a bit with PC on.

Simplicity and costs are my constraints. So when I do pick something out,  I want it at a good place right off the bat. 

(I won't be changing things,  spending more to make it better/cooler.)

while this is not a solution but installing an outside radiator which is connected to your system 😛

But yeah, when it starts to heat up it can be not fun when you don't have a lot of cooling options or airflow.

You could always wait for newer generations for hopefully less power for performance.

With the current ones around the 3060 ti (general better performance than 3060 and WAS a better price to performance) or 3070 could be decent options, 3070 a bit higher but can limit the card and try undervolting the card for using less power. (not sure about price with the current or future market).

Not sure about the AMD equivalent.

36 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

while this is not a solution but installing an outside radiator which is connected to your system 😛

But yeah, when it starts to heat up it can be not fun when you don't have a lot of cooling options or airflow.

You could always wait for newer generations for hopefully less power for performance.

With the current ones around the 3060 ti (general better performance than 3060 and WAS a better price to performance) or 3070 could be decent options, 3070 a bit higher but can limit the card and try undervolting the card for using less power. (not sure about price with the current or future market).

Not sure about the AMD equivalent.

Thanks for the reply.   Was running GTX 770, that died a few months ago and downgraded to a GTX 550 TI.  At the earliest is about a year before I attempt my first new PC self-build.

And so I want to get into the newest tech(3xxx series, big jump for sure 😛 ) and try again to build something that will last 6-10years.  I understand with components that sometimes you get a bad roll of the dice.  But I will make choices to avoid E-waste as that is also a big concern I have.

Will try and learn about the AMD tech over the next year as it matures.  FSR?,  and see how that will help with good performance and longevity.

52 minutes ago, Snail Jerky said:

Will try and learn about the AMD tech over the next year as it matures.  FSR?,  and see how that will help with good performance and longevity.

FSR is nothing like DLSS, but the XeSS from intel might bring something else.

while FSR can be an handy extra tool at least, and it seems to be less work to implement.

Also if there will be another generation at some point? got to wonder, and if the prices now are good for current gen.

7 hours ago, Snail Jerky said:

If your room is heating up, open a window and ventilate the room or use components will lower power draw. The heat produced is directly proportional to the system's power draw. Better cooling and lower temps won't lower the amount of heat. 

Ill never trust watercooling, even if it has a incredibly remote chance of leaking ++anxiety, a single pump noise hitting my eardrum will cause me to freak out and worry its dying/going to leak.

They just need to improve the way they build these, when a simple third party pad swap can reduce temps, thats... sad.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

cases that have bottom intake will improve  gpu temps across the board.  but most case have a basement and air form the front gos under the basement dose an 90 degree in to the gpu will be less efficient then bottom intake case were the air go state in to the gpu.(same case have the basement closed off so the gpu gets little air from the front)  same gos for aio and cpu coolers and case with a side mount intake. the front side intake has to do a 90 degree in to the cpu cooler  or even more for an top mounted aio. with a top aio exhaust for cpu the back fan intake could help.

but as gpus get longer and wider and all the crap the put on the side vent all reduce and trap hot air at the bottom of the case.

an gpu aio intake from the side front will improve the air being trapped between the gpu. and you wont need a case with bottom intake witch most case dont have.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

This hybrid was my dream card when i wanted a 3080 ti.. But after seeing Suprim X that i got is getting to 70c+ already with nice quality and decent air intake..

Yeah no 2x120mm radiator too? Oh boy..

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

12 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

This hybrid was my dream card when i wanted a 3080 ti.. But after seeing Suprim X that i got is getting to 70c+ already with nice quality and decent air intake..

yeah, when can just hope one doesnt need to modify the default cooling solution and decent or good air.

but yeah the radiator could be a pain to have or deal with, if something were to happen and extra fans to cables.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

yeah, when can just hope one doesnt need to modify the default cooling solution and decent or good air.

but yeah the radiator could be a pain to have or deal with, if something were to happen and extra fans to cables.

I wouldnt mind cutting holes in my R6 side cover to pull fresh air in or pull it out really..

Im more scared the radiator dies and the gpu dies too..

*meanwhile i have a 360mm aio on a 3600 non-x lol*

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD