Among "Fortnite" Us -- has Epic Games copied Among Us?

tikker

It's a genre, you can't copy a genre.

It's like saying every first person shooter copied Doom, or that Doom copied what was popular before it.

At worst, I'd label it as an omage.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

1 hour ago, cacoe said:

It's a genre, you can't copy a genre.

It's like saying every first person shooter copied Doom, or that Doom copied what was popular before it.

At worst, I'd label it as an omage.

They aren't complaining about copying the mafia/impostor/werewolves genre, but that they quite literally copied the map, terminology and gameplay elements straight from Among Us. More like taking DOOM's map, switching one or two doors, inverting the colours, adding 3D and then releasing it as "MOOD", your brand new game(mode).

I think timing and reputation has played a large role. In my mind this got a little bit more attention than something like this normally would due to Epic's questionable, arguably hypocritical behaviour, around recent lawsuits. I agree that e.g. "impostor" is a general enough word and this idea is just a genre, but I find the map almost being an exact copy hard to pin down as coincidence.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

They aren't complaining about copying the mafia/impostor/werewolves genre, but that they quite literally copied the map, terminology and gameplay elements straight from Among Us. More like taking DOOM's map, switching one or two doors, inverting the colours, adding 3D and then releasing it as "MOOD", your brand new game(mode).

I think timing and reputation has played a large role. In my mind this got a little bit more attention than something like this normally would due to Epic's questionable, arguably hypocritical behaviour, around recent lawsuits. I agree that e.g. "impostor" is a general enough word and this idea is just a genre, but I find the map almost being an exact copy hard to pin down as coincidence.

I concede, you're absolutely right looking again.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

3 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I concede, you're absolutely right looking again.

Haha well I think it's fine if you don't think they've copied it. It is a difficult line to judge after all. This happens so often nowadays. If something becomes a hit or works well, of course copies will appear. Especially with relatively simple concepts as a shooter, a battle royale or an impostors game it's hard to see what exactly has been copied and what is intrinsic. I can imagine PUBG not having a cared in the slightest if Fortnite never took off. Alas it became more popular.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

40 minutes ago, tikker said:

Haha well I think it's fine if you don't think they've copied it. It is a difficult line to judge after all. This happens so often nowadays. If something becomes a hit or works well, of course copies will appear. Especially with relatively simple concepts as a shooter, a battle royale or an impostors game it's hard to see what exactly has been copied and what is intrinsic. I can imagine PUBG not having a cared in the slightest if Fortnite never took off. Alas it became more popular.

fornite copied pubg and they went to Cort about it but like i said they make so much money buy the time the get sued then price is alot less then what they made so sensitive to do it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

19 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

I guess, there are likely older ones with similar ideas or battleroyale theme, as for a big open map shooter being more for that mod?
but yeah, could go on a loop to what started or created this or get something even earlier.

Hide contents

Shootmania storm (8-9 years ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMM0LGGUIwQ

The Culling (2016 EA) to the failure of culling 2 and minecraft battleroyales, which might have bred for more melee and magic like battleroyales.

from NARAKA, Spellbreak and others.

Jeez I haven't even thought about Shootmania Storm since the early beta days in 2013(it only came out a couple months before the Arma BR Mods). And wasn't really a battleroyale game almost entirely different. Shootmania Storm at least when I played it was more of an arena shooter, with small to medium sized enclosed maps. It had team deathmatch and free for all, but in terms of gameplay very different than a battleroyale. The reason I credit the battleroyale mod for Arma 2 made by Player Unknown as the first and the one that started it all is because at least in the modern sense of battleroyale games it was the first i.e jump in with nothing, loot for gear, and fight to the last man standing. The mod was big enough for Player Unknown and his team to make PUBG and credited him as the creator of the genre. There are going to be games or game modes within games that are for sure similar but the battleroyale genre is pretty specific while a free for all game on COD is the same idea, or search and destroy partially being fight to the last man or last team, there are very specific things that go into making a modern battleroyale a battleroyale. I'm not really that big into them but have followed them since I did play a lot of the Arma 2 DayZ BR Mod as well as PUBG when it first came out. I think it's an overdone game type for sure and I don't play any BR games anymore, mainly play Star Citizen now. But I digress, not trying to argue with anyone here but from my first hand experience with the games and what I can find in research the Arma 2 DayZ Mod as well as PUBG are credited as the first battleroyale games. While the concept has come from other media, i.e books and movies, the gamemode/game type was originated there.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

8 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Jeez I haven't even thought about Shootmania Storm since the early beta days in 2013(it only came out a couple months before the Arma BR Mods). And wasn't really a battleroyale game almost entirely different. Shootmania Storm at least when I played it was more of an arena shooter, with small to medium sized enclosed maps. It had team deathmatch and free for all, but in terms of gameplay very different than a battleroyale.

The reason I credit the battleroyale mod for Arma 2 made by Player Unknown as the first and the one that started it all is because at least in the modern sense of battleroyale games it was the first i.e jump in with nothing, loot for gear, and fight to the last man standing.

sure, mostly mentioned it as the gamemode can be very similar in some aspects and the feeling of staying in the middle or where the ring will go.

To me it gets some of that battleroyale feeling, without the gathering part and walking forever on a big map and choosing your type of weapon/spawn point.

Just think it might have helped some of that vision and how a storm works (circle reduction and balance), but then again it could come from other places too. Just the point that there are others that had some parts of the gameplay, but like you say, maybe not a lot that had the MP ability and size to have such an battleroyale mode with the options for different players in terms of places and weapons to abilities.

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv