Can I safe overclock Ryzen 9 5950X higher?

I have a Ryzen 9 5950X that I have had for two months now and playing around with PBO and the max power limits my motherboard allows for.

It sits in a Asus Dark Hero X570 board and is colled by a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black and stock fans replaced by two Noctua industrial ippc 3000 RPM fans.

All temperature below is read in ryzen master software. 

At stock in Cinebench R23 Stress test it tops at 60C in the single core test and multi core test it tops at 53C after around 10 minutes of testing. 

In the same test but with pbo on. Single core again sits at the 60C, while multi core now goes to 76C as its highest peak temp.

I made a all core manuel oc as well to 4.65 ghz on all cores at 1.375 volts and the cpu hits 85C in Cinebench R23. But that seems to me, that is to take it a bit to far. Specially for the longer life span of the cpu. 

However max temp is 90C before thermal throttle set in. So now the question is, would it be safe to oc the cpu further and run it hotter than 76C at peak for longer periods of time, over the next 6 years I expect this cpu to last me. Or shut i dial max power limits back a bit so it runs a bit cooler. What I am thinking of to do, is to make a new all core manual oc with lower clock and voltages.

In short I guess I try to ask what is the max temperature I shut run it at for longer periods of time and what voltage is considered maximum safe for Zen 3?

What's the gains for heat and power consumption on average FPSs, some whopping 1-2% on triple A titles?

Probably better to run it cooler imo...

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

What's the gains for heat and power consumption on average FPSs, some whopping 1-2% on triple A titles?

Probably better to run it cooler imo...

We are not talking for just gaming. This cpu is a total waste of money for purely gaming. This cpu and oc is just as much to get the raw compute power i need. This cpu is meant to be used for blender, video converting and like wise cpu heavy applications. 

36 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

We are not talking for just gaming. This cpu is a total waste of money for purely gaming. This cpu and oc is just as much to get the raw compute power i need. This cpu is meant to be used for blender, video converting and like wise cpu heavy applications. 

These chips are pure raw current tech power. 

You decide where the heat is worth it.

70c is cpu_high_temp alert and with a stock configuration, the cpu fan is requested 100% duty cycle...  probably for some reason.

I think 80c with OC would be max daily, not 85c.

Overclocking, the theory is to reduce the temps, not settle for a higher one.

1 hour ago, Intelfreak said:

We are not talking for just gaming. This cpu is a total waste of money for purely gaming

To be fair, that particular CPU has the capability of scaling further than all other Ryzen's for sheer single core speed. That would make it good for games. PBO will help a little with all core stuff, but it really depends on your cooling and your ambient. And even moreso with your PPT TDC and EDC settings. I am ok with 80c.. but more than that and I would consider scaling things back a touch. Get as much fresh air into that case as you can and help out your D15 a little. Maybe consider an airflow orientated chassis. 

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

30 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

These chips are pure raw current tech power. 

You decide where the heat is worth it.

70c is cpu_high_temp alert and with a stock configuration, the cpu fan is requested 100% duty cycle...  probably for some reason.

I think 80c with OC would be max daily, not 85c.

Overclocking, the theory is to reduce the temps, not settle for a higher one.

Well I agree with 80C as max, that's pretty much also what I feel is where I shut end the oc adventure. 

But your comment on overclocking theory is to lower temp. That's a new one. Normally I think overclocking as getting the maximum performance out of a cpu with in reasonable voltage and heat depending on what your cooling can handle. 

But it might be because I come from an accient platform, intels X58/lga 1366 with a i7 980x cpu. So overclocking might have changed since then. Back then, is was all about to have sufficient cooling and then give the cpu The max voltage that is considered safe and your cooling cut handle. Then find the maximum stable coreclock.

But it seems i shut just let pbo be on and settle for that. Now spend time to fine tune curve optimization and forget a Manuel all core oc. 

13 minutes ago, freeagent said:

To be fair, that particular CPU has the capability of scaling further than all other Ryzen's for sheer single core speed. That would make it good for games. PBO will help a little with all core stuff, but it really depends on your cooling and your ambient. And even moreso with your PPT TDC and EDC settings. I am ok with 80c.. but more than that and I would consider scaling things back a touch. Get as much fresh air into that case as you can and help out your D15 a little. Maybe consider an airflow orientated chassis. 

I have all ready maxed the single core clock out what is stable. That max out at 5.15 ghz for the best cores. Above that gives deminising results. 

With pbo ppt limits me to 395 watts, TDC to 255 amps and edc to 200 amps. Motherboard dosent allow me to go beyond that with pbo. Only way to bypass this, is to do a Manuel all core overclock or manually ox each individual core and that's a time consuming process to do and I don't have time to oc each core individually. 

It's all really in a large case with good airflow. Is a Phanteks enthoo 719 case filled with Lian Li uni SL120 fans. So airflow is plenty.

But it seems both of you agree that 80C is the limit and since I top out at 76C with pbo. I think I am better of just leave pbo on and tune curve optimization in stead. 

Yes do that. But you need to turn those limits down to get the single core boost up. For instance with my 5900 I use 200 130 130, with my 5600 I use 200 140 180. My limits are higher for 5600 than on the 5900. You would have to play around with it, these do not seem to be as consistent as what people might be used to with Intel. Or maybe they are and I’m not looking at things properly..

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Yes do that. But you need to turn those limits down to get the single core boost up. For instance with my 5900 I use 200 130 130, with my 5600 I use 200 140 180. My limits are higher for 5600 than on the 5900. You would have to play around with it, these do not seem to be as consistent as what people might be used to with Intel. Or maybe they are and I’m not looking at things properly..

Hmm. With power limits at max, I else all ready gets good single Core score in Cinebench r23 compared with others.

Stock i get 1600, with pbo with out any tuning i get 1631 and pbo with tuning I get 1654. The 1654 Seems to be in the good end of what I can see. Lowering power limits will also force cores to lower the clock speed at high load and reduce performance. And it's mostly the multi core performance i need for my use. Not so much single core for games. 

In R23 single core and my 5600X I got 1625, and with my 5900X I got 1685, so I reckon you’re doing alright. R23 multi I get 24421 pretty much maxed out with air cooling.

Lowering limits on my 5900 makes no real difference, it will pull what it wants. I am cheating with asus performance enhancement enabled, it gives a lil more juice to hold the clocks. Without it enabled I lose 50-75MHz on the heaviest of loads.

6 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

Well I agree with 80C as max, that's pretty much also what I feel is where I shut end the oc adventure. 

But your comment on overclocking theory is to lower temp. That's a new one. Normally I think overclocking as getting the maximum performance out of a cpu with in reasonable voltage and heat depending on what your cooling can handle. 

But it might be because I come from an accient platform, intels X58/lga 1366 with a i7 980x cpu. So overclocking might have changed since then. Back then, is was all about to have sufficient cooling and then give the cpu The max voltage that is considered safe and your cooling cut handle. Then find the maximum stable coreclock.

But it seems i shut just let pbo be on and settle for that. Now spend time to fine tune curve optimization and forget a Manuel all core oc. 

It hasn't changed. 

Transistors leak current when they get hot.

I can examplify with a 2700x I have deliddes.

While testing with TEC cooling, I was able to Cinebench at less than 1.2v at 4ghz.

So colder reduces leakage which increases OC scaling. 

That's why everyone under volts. For cooler temps and better boosting. 

Where I'm a believer in getting better cooling and reducing temps so I can afford either more v-core.

Winter is almost here buddy, that is high voltage season for me 🙂

Once it hits -25-30c that window gets cracked open 👍

It will be my first winter with 5900X.. hoping I can make her dump like a truck for the good ol hardware hub 🤘

Edit:

-20 is when I start to flirt

34 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Winter is almost here buddy, that is high voltage season for me 🙂

Once it hits -25-30c that window gets cracked open 👍

It will be my first winter with 5900X.. hoping I can make her dump like a truck for the good ol hardware hub 🤘

Edit:

-20 is when I start to flirt

Those are my idle temps on the TEC. 

Always the wish for cold.

Even settle for ice in a bucket just for shits and grins!