Dell P214Q 4K monitor switched to 30hz on its own and I've lost 60hz option

suchamoneypit
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

No idea why it would do that, maybe the DP cable is going bad? Also, by clean GPU driver reinstalls, do you mean DDU then install or hit the Clean install button when installing the drivers? 

You can also try doing a custom display resolution, basically "overclocking" the monitor back to stock operation. You shouldn't have to do it, but it's a workaround that would probably fix your issue. You can either do it through the AMD driver (I forget how to do it, it's been a while since I've used an AMD GPU for more than just testing) or a custom utility like CRU (my preferred method for overclocking on AMD and laptops)

I've been running this monitor for months at 4K 60hz with my Vega 56 over DisplayPort. After not using my computer for several days, I came back and noticed my main monitor refresh rate was low. I check settings, and its switched to 30hz, with no 60hz option anymore, In Windows 10 settings or advanced display settings. Device manager says drivers are up to date. I've restarted my PC, done clean GPU drivers reinstalls, gone back a few versions of the GPU drivers, and nothing. I've also unplugged/reconnected both ends of the DisplayPort cable a few times.  The Monitor won't give me the 60hz option anymore. 

Any ideas why? Cable suddenly go bad or something? Completely ruins my gaming experience and bothers me on desktop at 30hz.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

No idea why it would do that, maybe the DP cable is going bad? Also, by clean GPU driver reinstalls, do you mean DDU then install or hit the Clean install button when installing the drivers? 

You can also try doing a custom display resolution, basically "overclocking" the monitor back to stock operation. You shouldn't have to do it, but it's a workaround that would probably fix your issue. You can either do it through the AMD driver (I forget how to do it, it's been a while since I've used an AMD GPU for more than just testing) or a custom utility like CRU (my preferred method for overclocking on AMD and laptops)

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Your right, I did not do a full DDU, I did a clean install button. Maybe I should do DDU.

However, your second advice of using the AMD custom resolution to "overclock" back to stock worked perfect. I did not realize you could control refresh rate with that too. I set a custom resolution for the Dell monitor with 4k and 60hz, then went into windows display settings on the monitor, and 60hz was now available to set, and once I did, I immediately noticed the refresh rate bump up and be in line with the monitors I got beside it. 

Thank you!

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Have seen this happen on a couple rigs. In both instances it was the dp cable at fault.

Interference from other cables. Bad cable shielding. Check the dp cable is separated from other cables as much as possible (power, Ethernet, USB). Completely power down PSU switched off and allow capacitors to leak down) reboot. Or Dp cable worn out, bit the dust.

Might end up seeing other issues pop up, random black flickers or strange random line flickers as the cable shows it continued age.