Does the K552 use proprietary outemu switches? Or can i swap them out?

kitchendroop

Link the K552 variant. There are so many different ones I can't keep track any more. But if it says Outemu switches on the description or the image about switches you either can't swap them out or can only swap for other Outemus. Depends which one you buy probably.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, davemc said:

Link the K552 variant. There are so many different ones I can't keep track any more. But if it says Outemu switches on the description or the image about switches you either can't swap them out or can only swap for other Outemus. Depends which one you buy probably.

https://redragonshop.com/collections/redragon-mechanical-keyboard/products/redragon-kumara-k552

From what I can tell this board uses non hotswap Outemu Red switches, so if you wanted to change out the switches you'd have to desolder and solder. Only other Outemus could be soldered in.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Spoiler

3 hours ago, davemc said:

Only other Outemus could be soldered in.

Why could only Outemu switches be soldered in? Just looks like standard Outemu dust proof Reds to me.

:)

55 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why could only Outemu switches be soldered in? Just looks like standard Outemu dust proof Reds to me.

Outemu sockets aren't regular MX size.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, davemc said:

Outemu sockets aren't regular MX size.

Outemu hot swap sockets are tight, and Outemu pins are slightly narrower than those of other companies. How would that change what switches can be soldered in, since the pins are in the same locations?

:)

12 hours ago, davemc said:

From what I can tell this board uses non hotswap Outemu Red switches, so if you wanted to change out the switches you'd have to desolder and solder. Only other Outemus could be soldered in.

Its hotswap, could i switch it out for some cherry mx reds?

11 hours ago, kitchendroop said:

Not without a lot of mods. Outemu sockets are different than MX sockets.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hey there.

12 hours ago, kitchendroop said:

Yes, it is possible to fit Cherry MX Reds in Outemu hot-swap sockets. The pins are in the same physical layout (see below), but you may need to file down the pins of your Cherry MX Reds for them to fit in Outemu sockets. No other excessive modding is necessary.

unknown.png

Left: Outemu Hot-Swap Socket. Right: Kailh Hot-Swap Socket.

Outemu hot-swap sockets are slightly narrower in width.

If you're hesitant about filing down the pins of your switches, just remember that the pins are just pieces of metal. So long as they fit in the socket and can still conduct electricity, that's all you need.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

14 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Yes, it is possible to fit Cherry MX Reds in Outemu hot-swap sockets. The pins are in the same physical layout (see below), but you may need to file down the pins of your Cherry MX Reds for them to fit in Outemu sockets. No other excessive modding is necessary.

unknown.png

Left: Outemu Hot-Swap Socket. Right: Kailh Hot-Swap Socket.

Outemu hot-swap sockets are slightly narrower in width.

If you're hesitant about filing down the pins of your switches, just remember that the pins are just pieces of metal. So long as they fit in the socket and can still conduct electricity, that's all you need.

Thanks! But I dont know how i should file it. Use sandpaper? A metal file?

5 hours ago, kitchendroop said:

Thanks! But I dont know how i should file it. Use sandpaper? A metal file?

🤔

Sandpaper might be a bit finnicky or flimsy to work with, given the small size of the switch's metal pins.

I'd suggest using a metal file. Gently scrape against the metal pins 'til you get enough material off for the switch to fit in the socket -- you can always remove more material, but you can't add it back, yadda yadda.

If the switch pins get slightly bent while filing, you can always straighten them out with a pair of tweezers of small pliers. Be careful of bending them repeatedly at sharp angles, though, the metal might snap.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Akko switches will work in outemu hotswap socket without filing them ... but they are really hard to get out of there for  multiple swap so once you put them in I would just leave them be ... that implies to lube them prior to installing them if you ever want to lube them ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, dean_5234 said:

nope.

Akko switches, KTT switches can all be soldered in

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2022 at 10:33 PM, person123456789 said:

nope.

Akko switches, KTT switches can all be soldered in

And there are some variation of holy pandas that fit in too. 

On 12/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, nandor613 said:

Will Akko V3 switches fit in there too?

As far as I know yes. The only Akko switches that won't fit is the Akko x TTC Demon and Princess switches and the non CS Pink switch

On 1/23/2023 at 3:40 AM, Jasper27 said:

And there are some variation of holy pandas that fit in too. 

only holy pandas that have thinner pins