Reducing noise Define Mini c

DeerDK
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 hour ago, DeerDK said:

Okay. It's a z97i, does that matter? 

Thanks for the tips, I'll try out meddling with the bios, and otherwise I'll check out Arctic. I do have a soft spot for Noctua, but I can see your point if Arctic can pull the same degree of quietness. 

I live in Denmark, so maybe Noctua is a bit cheaper than in the US (taxes and general prices ignored) due to lower transportation costs. 

Board doesn't matter I can tell you for a fact it has fan control however and you can do whatever you want with fan speeds. Just leave the cpu on auto basically or at most on a silent profile.

For a single nf fan you can usually easily get 3 arctic fans which are basically just the noctua fans in every way except well cheaper. (I tend to buy the 5 packs often from arctic).

Hey peps, 

I recently bought a Fractal Design Define Mini C, as my old Node 304 could not hold a modern gpu (bloody two slot limit). 

I'm not quite happy with the noise level of the case Fans however, as the Mini C does not have a physical fan controller like the Node did. 

So my question is, should I exchange the FD fans for Noctua or BeQuiet or should I start with getting a fan controller, so I can override the fan speed? 

What is the lowest hanging fruit and are new fans irrelevant if I cannot control the speed? 

Thank you in advance 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

afaik define mini c comes 3 pin fans, those can only be control via voltage

easiest way is to swap them to 4pin PWM fans & control them via mobo

from my experiences 140mm fans do spin quieter compare to 120mm fans

u can swap front fans to 2x silent wings3 140 pwm, noctua chromax nf-a14 pwm OR arctic p14 pwm (budget option)

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

Okay, so I cannot install a hub that regulates the fan speed directly, with 3pin fans? 

I can definitely get my hands on some 140 fans somewhere. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

u can try using those fan controller on aliexpress, I have no experience with them lol

or get noctua voltage reducer

https://noctua.at/en/na-src10

aquacomputer has voltage controller but it's too overpriced for your application 

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

Just go into your boards bios and change the fan speed there?

I see no reason for a fan controller as your motherboard can already do that. Yes these fractal fans aren't the quietest of the bunch I've had them before but a little tweaking of the fan curve does a lot.

If you do decide to replace the fans just get some arctic p series fans. Cheap quiet and match noctua nf fans for performance.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Just go into your boards bios and change the fan speed there?

I see no reason for a fan controller as your motherboard can already do that. Yes these fractal fans aren't the quietest of the bunch I've had them before but a little tweaking of the fan curve does a lot.

If you do decide to replace the fans just get some arctic p series fans. Cheap quiet and match noctua nf fans for performance.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try out meddling with the bios, and otherwise I'll check out Arctic. I do have a soft spot for Noctua, but I can see your point if Arctic can pull the same degree of quietness. 

I live in Denmark, so maybe Noctua is a bit cheaper than in the US (taxes and general prices ignored) due to lower transportation costs. 

1 hour ago, DeerDK said:

Board doesn't matter I can tell you for a fact it has fan control however and you can do whatever you want with fan speeds. Just leave the cpu on auto basically or at most on a silent profile.

For a single nf fan you can usually easily get 3 arctic fans which are basically just the noctua fans in every way except well cheaper. (I tend to buy the 5 packs often from arctic).

You'll be able to control the fan speeds by inserting them into your motherboard fan headers. Though, the gp12 fans that are included in the case are really just average at best fans and can't really move an abundance of air. 

The meta these days is to have a case that already has good airflow so that you'll be able to run the fans at a lower rpm which would result in a pretty silent case. Unfortunately the Define mini C is not one of those cases. As mentioned, the arctic p12 fans make solid budget case fans too.  

You can check out some of the videos in this channel as they compare many fans. I'd take fans which can spin to higher rpms for your case since the front is pretty restrictive. Thermaltake's tough fan, thermalright's tl b12, scythe wonder snail and the noctua nf-a12x25 and gentle typhoons are also some options for you to consider.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Thanks for the replys. I was just away with the family for some days, so I'll try to adjust the fan speed, and if its not enough, I'll upgrade to better fans. 

Good day to all of you 

3 hours ago, DeerDK said:

Thanks for the replys. I was just away with the family for some days, so I'll try to adjust the fan speed, and if its not enough, I'll upgrade to better fans. 

Good day to all of you 

This is a bit Janky but you could just set a desk/floor/box fan to push more air to the intake, possibly lowering your initial intake. 

Or be SUPER JANKY and use a dryer duct line to funnel the air from your air conditioner to the intake of your case. 

(actually, it would be cheaper to buy the Artic fans!! LOL)

Or you could just turn up the volume in your headphones, so you can't hear them. 🙂

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

13 hours ago, Jason 57 said:

This is a bit Janky but you could just set a desk/floor/box fan to push more air to the intake, possibly lowering your initial intake. 

Or be SUPER JANKY and use a dryer duct line to funnel the air from your air conditioner to the intake of your case. 

(actually, it would be cheaper to buy the Artic fans!! LOL)

Or you could just turn up the volume in your headphones, so you can't hear them. 🙂

Oh, if I used headphones there wouldn't be a problem, but I game in the same room as my wife sits and I like to talk while playing strategy games and such

On 8/6/2021 at 2:26 AM, DeerDK said:

Oh, if I used headphones there wouldn't be a problem, but I game in the same room as my wife sits and I like to talk while playing strategy games and such

I understand. Been married for almost 27 years now. 
I hope those fans help. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

• 4 weeks later...

A general update. I got two 14" + one 12" fan from Arctic (p silent). They are definetly an improvement. I can still hear them, but its a lower and more pleasant swosh and less hiss.

That will do for now 🙂

Thank to all of you for the feedback