Ducky Mini Mecha VS Custom GK61XS (Aluminum)

Daan._official

Hello everyone, 

I'm looking to get into my first mechanical keyboard, but i can't decide really. The Ducky Mecha Mini seems like a great choice with good build quality (cast aluminum, good keycaps etc.), but it's not hot swappable. I'd really like an hot swappable aluminum board, because I can't solder so if I'd ever want to change switches it'd be impossible. Just the idea of being stuck on one switch kinda sucks to me. 

The GMMK Pro is a bit too expensive for me but i found the GK61XS aluminum kit, anyone has any experience with that?

Cheers

Hey there.

9 hours ago, Daan._official said:

I'm looking to get into my first mechanical keyboard, but i can't decide really. The Ducky Mecha Mini seems like a great choice with good build quality (cast aluminum, good keycaps etc.), but it's not hot swappable. I'd really like an hot swappable aluminum board, because I can't solder so if I'd ever want to change switches it'd be impossible. Just the idea of being stuck on one switch kinda sucks to me. 

The GMMK Pro is a bit too expensive for me but i found the GK61XS aluminum kit, anyone has any experience with that?

The GK61XS is a decent keyboard kit considering its price and features: hot-swappability, wireless connectivity, and an all-aluminum chassis for a little over $100. Standard ANSI layout also means the keyboard will be compatible with most aftermarket keycap sets. If you'd like to change its RGB patterns, however, you're locked to their proprietary software.

If your priorities are hot-swappability and wireless connectivity, and aren't too attached to an all-metal chassis, you could opt for plastic case variants of the GK61XS or the Kono 84.

• GK61XS ($80 from Amazon😞 60% Form Factor. Same underlying hardware as the aluminum GK61XS, just equipped with a plastic chassis. If you change your mind about the plastic chassis later on, I believe the GK61XS is compatible with other aftermarket 60% keyboard cases (e.g. Tofu60, 5° Five Degree), but may require an aftermarket mounting plate as well. IIRC, the stock mounting plate isn't compatible with aftermarket cases -- at least, not without a bit of DIY modding.
  • Kono 84 ($64.99 from Kono Store😞 75% Form Factor. Equipped with a plastic chassis; no metal chassis variants available, unless you'd like to custom-make your own. Also, to outfit the board, you'll want to look out for keycap sets with extra 1.75U Right Shift, 1U Alt, 1U Fn, and 1U Ctrl keycaps. The price is very appealing.

I know a fellow that owns a Kono 84. If you have particular questions about that keeb, I could ask him for first-hand feedback.

Spoiler

2L1A4381.jpg

Credit: Den-Fi.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)