Getting high temps on a Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler

Leonel.Cantu
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
3 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Just so there is no confusion for you or the OP, the picture I posted was to show the difference between the 3 stock coolers side by side.
Prism has a copper cold plate and copper heat pipes, has a large area to dissipate heat. Overall pretty good cooler, on par with some single fan tower coolers.
Spire... even though it has a larger chunk of aluminum compared to Stealth, that is about it... no copper to be seen. Pretty much any 20$+ tower cooler will beat it.
Stealth is absolute garbage tear, the only thing worse than it is the smallest Intel stock cooler.

Just making sure. +1 verification 🙂

I just recently built my new PC, CPU temps are uncomfortably high, even after replacing the stock thermal paste with some Arctic MX-4 I had from another build, temps while playing Risk of Rain 2 and Deep Rock Galactic would reach 85 C degrees and remain above 80 throughout the night. I know the Wraith Stealth cooler is a decent option if you're not looking to overclock, but I would prefer for my system to run at lower temps overall, and I would like to get into overclocking in the near future. I guess upgrading to a better CPU cooler is the way to go. Here's my rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B450-F II

RAM: Single 16GB 3200 MHz HyperX Fury DDR4 stick

GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury

PSU: EVGA 600 BQ 80+ Bronze

Case: Corsair C70

Storage: XPG 500GB M.2 NVMe SDD

Fans: 9 plus the CPU cooler (I didn't buy 9 fans for this rig, both the fans and the case are from my old build)

Fan config: 2 intake fans at the front, 1 intake fan at the hard drive cage, one intake fan at the bottom, 2 intake fans at the window, 2 exhaust fans at the top, 1 exhaust fan at the back.

Now my case has plenty of airflow, the problem is that my GPU runs very hot and is directly below the CPU. While the CPU under stress alone does not run very hot, it does when the GPU runs hot. I suspect my GPU dramatically heats up all the air around and doesn't let any fresh air available for the CPU. I think that by replacing the stock cooler with a simple water cooler like Corsair's H60 I may solve the problem. The H60 isn't really much of an upgrade over AMD's Wraith Stealth, but it would help by moving the cooling of the CPU away from the heat of the GPU. Maybe I'm wrong. What do you guys thing I could do to get lower temps on the system overall? I know running a CPU at 85 Celsius while gaming isn't really a problem, but I just don't feel comfortable running it that hot all the time while gaming when I'm not even overclocking.

The build doesn't look that well engineered, but I had a lot of budget and availability constraints, I went with what I could get my hands on at the time.

Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I use the 5600X with the stealth cooler and at idle it's cool(60ish), but under load it reaches 85C+
I run a SFF, so case fans don't apply to me. 
what are your temps at idle? 80C? 

Thermal paste does go bad after a while even if it's been in a tube, the seal isn't perfect. how old is the paste? if it's a few years i would get new paste. 

eiher way, if it's not over 90C+ you're fine. it's not going to hurt the CPU, just maybe begin to thermal throttle. if you're worried about it, get a better CPU cooler. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

11 minutes ago, Leonel.Cantu said:

I know the Wraith Stealth cooler is a decent option if you're not looking to overclock

It is an absolute garbage option... hit it with sustained load and the CPU will stop the turbo after a couple of minutes, and if the ambient is high enough it will even thermal throttle bellow stock clock.
image.png

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

1 minute ago, Biohazard777 said:

It is an absolute garbage option... hit it with sustained load and the CPU will stop the turbo after a couple of minutes, and if the ambient is high enough it will even thermal throttle bellow stock clock.
image.png

What the Prism is a garbage option? 

No way. Runs my 2700x 4.1ghz no problems. Way better than the stealth and spire. Easily dissipate 140w.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

What the Prism is a garbage option? 

image.png.4d3c412855f6fea50aa66e2303e19ad7.png

^ not a crypto wallet

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No way. Runs my 2700x 4.1ghz no problems. Way better than the stealth and spire. Easily dissipate 140w.

Just so there is no confusion for you or the OP, the picture I posted was to show the difference between the 3 stock coolers side by side.
Prism has a copper cold plate and copper heat pipes, has a large area to dissipate heat. Overall pretty good cooler, on par with some single fan tower coolers.
Spire... even though it has a larger chunk of aluminum compared to Stealth, that is about it... no copper to be seen. Pretty much any 20$+ tower cooler will beat it.
Stealth is absolute garbage tear, the only thing worse than it is the smallest Intel stock cooler.

^ not a crypto wallet

3 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Just making sure. +1 verification 🙂