The number of hard drives supported in a server?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
30 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

I see. Like I said - physical space ain't a too-big concern to me - I can be a DIY expert.

HBA-s.. how they work.. so HDD > HBA > motherboard, I would assume.. Any good video/read about HBA-s? (I apologize for being lazy)

128-256 drives? That sounds amazing! Sooo no storage-space(TB/PB) limit? I guess the power consumption per drive would also need to be taken into consideration.

You need sas expanders to get that many drives per sas controller. They often are built into the backplans on sas jbods or drive bacplanes.

There is no limit of TB that would limit you here. You can use the biggest drives you can buy today without a issue.

How many TB do you need in the server total?

" ALso use 2f where you can and ssh certs instead of passwords where possible "
Whoah whoah whoah ssh certs? 0.o

" Raid 6 is fine, IDK why people would say never use it. Id suggest raid z2 here. Probably go a bit overboard with storage so you have space to grow later on. "
What do you mean?

" User error is a massive issue. Ever admin makes mistakes, and many massive outages are due to user error. Don't assume your perect "
Yup.. I recently deleted aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall of my storage data I've been collecting for like few months
Imagine how I felt
I felt dead inside ;d

" Well if you want to keep data, you really need backups. Raid is not a backup, and lots of things can cause your whole array to lose data. "
Sooooooooooo I guess have 2 same RAID set-ups and one being the main one and the other being a backup one? lol

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/

1 hour ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

" ALso use 2f where you can and ssh certs instead of passwords where possible "

Heres a 'how to'. Basically create a certificate private and public key and use that to authenticate instead of a password. 

You should use this on anything that exposes SSH port (port 22) to the internet

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-ssh-keys-on-ubuntu-20-04

You should also setup something like fail2ban for ports like this as well that are internet facing. So it bans the IP after x number of bad attempts

" Raid 6 is fine, IDK why people would say never use it. Id suggest raid z2 here. Probably go a bit overboard with storage so you have space to grow later on. "
What do you mean?

I think hes saying allocate more space than you think you might need. 

e.g If you think you need 12TB, then instead of 5 x 4TB, then get 5 x 8TB to have 21TB, you'd be surprised how quickly some people can use space; especially if you put media on there. 

" User error is a massive issue. Ever admin makes mistakes, and many massive outages are due to user error. Don't assume your perect "
Yup.. I recently deleted aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall of my storage data I've been collecting for like few months
Imagine how I felt
I felt dead inside ;d

I feel that, about 10 years ago I accidentally wiped the wrong drive, and lost 200GB of data dating back to 2002...unfortuantely it was full of extremely rare music videos and music remixes 😞

" Well if you want to keep data, you really need backups. Raid is not a backup, and lots of things can cause your whole array to lose data. "
Sooooooooooo I guess have 2 same RAID set-ups and one being the main one and the other being a backup one? lol

They dont both need to be RAID. And its a good idea for the 'backup' machine to be in a different location to protect from physical threats ideally. 

If theyre in the same location then if possible put them on different circuits / different surge protectors and ideally turn one off when its not running backups. Id even go as far as to put that machine on a shelf in the garage where its typically safer against fires, water, theft, etc...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

58 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

Yea you can use certs for ssh login. Much more secure, and basically impossible to brute force(keep the certs secure though)

Lots of guides of how to do this out there

58 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

Raid 6 is fine, IDK why people would say never use it. Id suggest raid z2 here. Probably go a bit overboard with storage so you have space to grow later on. "
What do you mean?

Id use raid 6/z2 here. Get more space than you need so you have room to grow

59 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

Imagine how I felt
I felt dead inside ;d

Thats why you have backups. MIrrors won't help you with user error

59 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

Well if you want to keep data, you really need backups. Raid is not a backup, and lots of things can cause your whole array to lose data. "

Doesn't have to be the same setup. You can store the data on external hdds, preferable offsite, and sync them every few weeks. You can backup to the cloud.

@Jarsky
Before I continue - I just want to mention that when I went to click the "Heart" button on your comment... after fucking finishing with my reply to your - everything got deleted.. because it reload the FUCKING page..
my coffee cooled off already
I am so fucking sad right now
time wasted
why did I not copy-paste beforehand..
why.
Here we go again

" Heres a 'how to'. Basically create a certificate private and public key and use that to authenticate instead of a password.

You should use this on anything that exposes SSH port (port 22) to the internet"
haha haha ha that is for SSH... just block SSH if not using it ( like most people do not) and also, at least on the Arch Linux installer OS - it seems like there are keys already in there.

" I think hes saying allocate more space than you think you might need.

e.g If you think you need 12TB, then instead of 5 x 4TB, then get 5 x 8TB to have 21TB, you'd be surprised how quickly some people can use space; especially if you put media on there. "
I hope what you guys are talking about is SUPER expandable - because I am not doing it if it is not. Also I planned on going with 16TB drives anyways.

" You should also setup something like fail2ban for ports like this as well that are internet facing. So it bans the IP after x number of bad attempts "
very very useful, but I did know about this already. Also iptables/nftables.

" I feel that, about 10 years ago I accidentally wiped the wrong drive, and lost 200GB of data dating back to 2002...unfortuantely it was full of extremely rare music videos and music remixes 😞 "
Daaaamn.. that must have been like priceless..
That must have hurt! :d

" They dont both need to be RAID. And its a good idea for the 'backup' machine to be in a different location to protect from physical threats ideally.

If theyre in the same location then if possible put them on different circuits / different surge protectors and ideally turn one off when its not running backups. Id even go as far as to put that machine on a shelf in the garage where its typically safer against fires, water, theft, etc... "
Or in a bunker o.o
yeah man I get physical safety hazards, but that's impossible for me right now. Also I don't think I'll have any fucking backups because I am not a rich American or something.

I am still annoying everything got deleted when my page reloaded ;-;

############################################################

@Electronics Wizardy

" Yea you can use certs for ssh login. Much more secure, and basically impossible to brute force(keep the certs secure though) "
I actually heard that most hacks happen trough the SSH port. Though it might be because there aren't certs in use? I thought they are enabled by default or something?

" Id use raid 6/z2 here. Get more space than you need so you have room to grow "
"room to grow"
Please elaborate.... in detail... please.. I know I am asking a lot here.. lol I am in no place to demand... so I beg o.o pls

" Thats why you have backups. MIrrors won't help you with user error "
Exactly.
There shouldn't be too much user-ZFS interaction so I should be fine. I also believe I've learned my lessons.. for at least 1 year now xD. But yeah - no backups man they just sound like.. UGH so expensive, so a definite NO on that one.

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/