How to actually use dlss ?

Gustavo Dutra

I've got a rtx card my 2070 companion and its not enough to run all games on ultra, but with dlss i might be able to. I say that because i've tried metro exodus enhanced edition and apparently dlss didnt help.

I think because i didnt use it correctly that time. Now that red dead 2 dlss has been released. I do not want to commit such mistake again.

So how do i use it ? I stick to my main resolution and just apply it on quality mode or balanced or i go a resolution below mine, and set dlss to quality ?

Stay on Native res and select DLSS on or a Quality mode that you prefer.

It isnt in the Nvidia control panel, it's in your games..that support DLSS and have the updates to the version needed.

Weird when you select it nothing happens..

What CPU/Ram specs do you have?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You keep the resolution as what's native for your monitor. DLSS drops the resolution itself, depending on the quality settings, and then upscales it back to that. How well it works is very dependent on the implementation in the specific game, though. Some do better than others. Not every DLSS supporting game uses the same version of DLSS either. The more recent versions are obviously better than the older versions. TechPowerUp recently posted a trick where you can actually drop the DLL for the newest version of DLSS into any game that at least supports DLSS 2.0 and it seems to just upgrade it without issue. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Stay on Native res and select DLSS on or a Quality mode that you prefer.

It isnt in the Nvidia control panel, it's in your games..that support DLSS and have the updates to the version needed.

Weird when you select it nothing happens..

What CPU/Ram specs do you have?

Im on 32gb ram 3600mhz/ ryzen 7 5800x. I found it weird i have got like 50 to 30 fps on metro with dlss on quality, and heard people with same gpu having crazy 80 fps.

Do you have Raytracing enabled as well? 

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Asus Dual 3070 + EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3070 GPU(S)

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 16x2 3600mhz RAM

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

Thermaltake RIING 12 fans (4)

8 minutes ago, Beyond_The_Berm said:

Do you have Raytracing enabled as well? 

Yes

1 minute ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

Yes

Depending on DLSS setting, resolution, and Raytracing setting, you may see a net 0 for gains in some games.  I have no experience with Metro enhanced so I cannot speak specifics here.  I would personally dumb down the Raytracing a bit to gain those frames back if possible.

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Asus Dual 3070 + EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3070 GPU(S)

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 16x2 3600mhz RAM

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

Thermaltake RIING 12 fans (4)

28 minutes ago, Beyond_The_Berm said:

Depending on DLSS setting, resolution, and Raytracing setting, you may see a net 0 for gains in some games.  I have no experience with Metro enhanced so I cannot speak specifics here.  I would personally dumb down the Raytracing a bit to gain those frames back if possible.

Good thing red dead 2 has 0 raytracing. Will test on it. Thanks

Some implementations are better than others. It depends on the games specifically. Some need it with Ray Tracing on to even give playable performance. And most games simply just don't have DLSS.

As far as Ray Tracing, the only aspects of it that I've found compelling enough to enable are reflections. Lighting has some merit, but I'm not sensitive enough to it to warrant having it on. Ray Traced shadows are a huge resource hog that doesn't really seem to improve much for me and is not commensurate with the performance hit.

Some games will use any combination of these Ray Traced features to greater or less effect. Not all of them let you choose specifically, though.

As of now the only games I've actually enjoyed with Ray Tracing enabled have been Cyberpunk 2077 and Control. Doom Eternal is just too fast paced to matter, but it is optimized well.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Some implementations are better than others. It depends on the games specifically. Some need it with Ray Tracing on to even give playable performance. And most games simply just don't have DLSS.

As far as Ray Tracing, the only aspects of it that I've found compelling enough to enable are reflections. Lighting has some merit, but I'm not sensitive enough to it to warrant having it on. Ray Traced shadows are a huge resource hog that doesn't really seem to improve much for me and is not commensurate with the performance hit.

Some games will use any combination of these Ray Traced features to greater or less effect. Not all of them let you choose specifically, though.

As of now the only games I've actually enjoyed with Ray Tracing enabled have been Cyberpunk 2077 and Control. Doom Eternal is just too fast paced to matter, but it is optimized well.

Just tested and its worse than metro. With any mode i get 33 fps. And without i get 27. Idk if my pc is different or just out of luck. But dlss doesnt give me more fps.

28 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

Just tested and its worse than metro. With any mode i get 33 fps. And without i get 27. Idk if my pc is different or just out of luck. But dlss doesnt give me more fps.

Metro Exodus original release uses DLSS 1.0 which pretty much sucked. Although you seem to still be getting an uplift, if small.

Metro Exodus Enhanced edition has DLSS 2.0 which is far superior.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Metro Exodus original release uses DLSS 1.0 which pretty much sucked. Although you seem to still be getting an uplift, if small.

Metro Exodus Enhanced edition has DLSS 2.0 which is far superior.

Still man. Having this increased amount is a joke.

7 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

Still man. Having this increased amount is a joke.

Have you made sure to install your correct drivers? Did you upgrade to the 2070 from something else? If so, did you use DDU to remove old drivers?  What resolution are you playing at?

Just now, Mister Woof said:

Have you made sure to install your correct drivers? Did you upgrade to the 2070 from something else? If so, did you use DDU to remove old drivers?  What resolution are you playing at?

Im using geforce experience to update my drivers. I currently have the most up to date one.
Has been years when i got this 2070 from my gtx 1080, dont remember if i used DDU..
Im on a ultrawide 3440x1440p. I know, pretty overpowered for a 2070...

54 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

How tf my machine can't make something like this ?????

image.png.7eae4158824453175572b4d3cdb840e8.png

Give DDU a shot and make sure to install your motherboard drivers, and set your windows power plan to performance

Also, what are your CPu and GPU temps during play

5 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Also, what are your CPu and GPU temps during play

Temps are normal. 50 gpu and 60 cpu.

5 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Give DDU a shot and make sure to install your motherboard drivers, and set your windows power plan to performance

Did both, not motherboard drivers. Here the power cables are not that stable for a motherboard drive update.

3 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

Also. Some more people talking bout the same thing. https://steamcommunity.com/app/1174180/discussions/0/3049483938192675575/

Could be just that title sucks. Do you have CP2077?

15 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Could be just that title sucks. Do you have CP2077?

No..

Just now, Gustavo Dutra said:

No..

Could perhaps be a Ryzen thing. I've seen a lot of reports of games just running like shit for no apparent reason and one of the recurring themes is Ryzen CPUs.

This is for COD Warzone mostly, though.

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Could perhaps be a Ryzen thing. I've seen a lot of reports of games just running like shit for no apparent reason and one of the recurring themes is Ryzen CPUs.

This is for COD Warzone mostly, though.

Yes i searched for that too. Maybe who knows...