Regarding blacklisted phones

XukeLho

I recently found out about blacklisted phones through a youtuber I follow.

If I understand correctly, these phones are locked to a carrier and also IMEI locked, meaning it won't be able to access the mobile network, correct?

Taking this phone as an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363430882367?epid=27029461434&hash=item549e2b2c3f:g:Ul4AAOSw2Ypg50PY

This phone is blacklisted by Sprint. Would I be able to unlock it to use in Europe-Portugal? Or carrier unlocking companies don't unlock blacklisted phones?

Also acepting recomendations for carrier unlocking companies.

A blacklisted device cannot be used on any mobile network, there's a global list.

https://www.gsma.com/security/resources/imei-blacklisting/

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Could it be carrier blacklisted only? Like in the above example? Or despite saying Sprinter blacklisted, its actally, everything blacklisted?

19 minutes ago, XukeLho said:

Sprint

Well firstly Sprint is a CDMA provider. So its unlikely one of their phones will work great in the EU at all. As the EU mostly uses GSM. 

10 minutes ago, XukeLho said:

everything blacklisted?

From my understanding the US carriers all have access to a list of devices that are considered lost/stolen and therefore can not be activated period. Im not sure how that works in the EU. I know that some smaller less reputable phone shops might flash the firmware and unlock the device but thats illegal, essential if a device is blacklisted its most likely lost/stolen and using it is the same as using any stolen property. Further more iPhone, when they become iCloud locked they are effective useless, no amount of poking, prodding or asking Apple for help will make the phone work again. Also I think Android is moving in to the same direction as Apple when it comes to locking out stolen devices. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 hours ago, XukeLho said:

I recently found out about blacklisted phones through a youtuber I follow.

If I understand correctly, these phones are locked to a carrier and also IMEI locked, meaning it won't be able to access the mobile network, correct?

Taking this phone as an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363430882367?epid=27029461434&hash=item549e2b2c3f:g:Ul4AAOSw2Ypg50PY

This phone is blacklisted by Sprint. Would I be able to unlock it to use in Europe-Portugal? Or carrier unlocking companies don't unlock blacklisted phones?

Also acepting recomendations for carrier unlocking companies.

Without rehashing the thread too much, just... please don't.

It was blacklisted for a reason. Even if it worked abroad (it probably won't work very well if at all), would you really want a phone that was likely tied to a criminal, and won't work at all in certain major countries even if it does work in Portugal?

I know it looks like a good value, but it's not worth the headaches — especially not when you'd have to pay for shipping from the US. It won't be a bargain if you end up with an unusable device you have to replace with something else. Spend some extra money on a phone you know will work and won't risk questions from authorities.