Which is worse? Cooler Master Elite V3 600W vs. Corsair VS550

Fuzzyy

I want to upgrade the PSU on a year old PC to a more silent option. Specs are below. It has the potentially fire hazard Cooler Master Elite v3 which came with the case. I have the Corsair CV650 80+ (purchased 3 months ago) which I use in my home NAS and an old VS550(orange label, from 2016) lying around. The most sensible option is to upgrade the PC with CV650, and use elite v3 or vs550 in my home NAS. Which one should I use?

PC Specs:

Gigabyte B450m s2h

Ryzen 5 3500X

Evga RTX 2060KO

Samsung 860 Evo 500gb Sata SSD

Cooler Master Elite V3

NAS Specs:

i5 6600

MSI Z170-A PC Mate

4x HDD, 1 Corsair 128GB SSD

Corsair CV650 PSU

EDIT: This will be a temporary solution till I get an RM750, probably for 4-5 months.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

Both suck but the vs sucks a lot more.

What psu do you have now in it? Honestly all psu's are inadequate in terms of quality here so I'd say leave the current one in (the elite v3 is the "best" of the bunch here) and get a proper good psu from b tier or better in the psu tier list later.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

VS is better, at the very least because there are some reviews on it.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Both suck but the vs sucks a lot more.

What psu do you have now in it? Honestly all psu's are inadequate in terms of quality here so I'd say leave the current one in (the elite v3 is the "best" of the bunch here) and get a proper good psu from b tier or better in the psu tier list later.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

I know, I had an RM750 that I sold to a friend, I regret it very much. I will probably buy a new one in the next months.

My NAS has the CV650 and the PC has the Elite v3.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzyy said:

I know, I had an RM750 that I sold to a friend, I regret it very much. I will probably buy a new one in the next months.

My NAS has the CV650 and the PC has the Elite v3.

Yeah keep things like they are for now. Plenty of other good options than the rm750 for cheaper out there nowadays.

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

VS is better, at the very least because there are some reviews on it.

No it isn't. All of these have reviews and the vs is the worst here. The elite v3 is a cv series copy basically and the cv series is technically the best ish here but power spike shutoff issues.

Yes the elite v1 and v2 are firehazard psu's but the v3 is same level as the cv series. Still not good but it's something.

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No it isn't. All of these have reviews and the vs is the worst here. The elite v3 is a cv series copy basically and the cv series is technically the best ish here but power spike shutoff issues.

Yes the elite v1 and v2 are firehazard psu's but the v3 is same level as the cv series. Still not good but it's something.

Yeah elite is not that bad of a PSU, also remember that CV650 is not group regulated, but CV450 and CV550 is. CV650 is on Tier C.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Can you provide the source for the review? At least the 230V version is very terrible PSU use a completely different platform made by Hui Cheng.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

the cv series is technically the best ish here but power spike shutoff issues.

What is this issue?

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

The elite v3 is a cv series copy basically

This is kinda difficult given CV came after...

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

No it isn't. All of these have reviews and the vs is the worst here

Which reviews are these exactly?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

On 7/9/2021 at 1:41 PM, Elisis said:

This is kinda difficult given CV came after...

Which reviews are these exactly?

I got misinformation about the psu's and the elite v3 is a different unit internally and is the worse unit here.

On 7/9/2021 at 2:17 AM, jaslion said:

cv series is technically the best ish here but power spike shutoff issues.

What?!?!?  What are we talking about here?

Well, I just plugged the VS550 to my NAS, hopefully it won't catch fire. Also it is not in 7/24 operation, I only run it 14-16 hrs per day.