AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

I am on a an Asus X570 Gaming E motherboard running a 5950x and since updating to latest firmware from June 2022 was able to update to Windows 11 with fTPM turned on with zero issues. I had severe stutter randomly before this update when ever I updated or turned TPM 2.0 on. I have had zero issues after the firmware UEFI update from Asus.

7 hours ago, ne0rmatrix said:

I am on a an Asus X570 Gaming E motherboard running a 5950x and since updating to latest firmware from June 2022 was able to update to Windows 11 with fTPM turned on with zero issues. I had severe stutter randomly before this update when ever I updated or turned TPM 2.0 on. I have had zero issues after the firmware UEFI update from Asus.

Same for me no issues after update

Asrock finally made the 1.2.0.7 available to the public on their website. Highly recomended!
image.thumb.png.f5328d3a52508962f304205e5d8841cd.png

So with my Aorus Pro AX the stuttering is definitely still happening. How is every other motherboard manufacturer managed to fix it except Gigabyte? 

On 6/9/2022 at 5:12 AM, AkikoKumagara said:

Is anyone who is NOT using a Gigabyte board having the same problem with the new AGESA release? Just curious.

Hello,

just registered to post about my issues with an "ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero" mainboard (AMD X570). My issues are similiar (sound crackling/suttering), but not entirely sure if they are related to fTPM. I mostly have the issues during launch of applications, pretty much never once they run. No random framedrops/stuttering, it's pretty much limited to audio crackling/stuttering!

So i could be in the wrong thread, please direct me to the right one if it exists...

My configuration is:

• AMD Ryzen9 5900X
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, BIOS 4201 (2022/04/29), AGESA version ComboV2PI 1207.
  • 2x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo, DDR4-3600, CL16-16-16-36
  • M.2 NVME Samsung 980 Pro in the first M.2 slot(near the graphics card)
  • ASUS ROG Strix RTX2070
  • Corsair AX750 PSU
  • Audio: Sennheiser PC8 headset (USB)
  • Windows 10 Professional (up to date) - installed on M.2 SSD
  • Latest chipset driver
  • No ASUS Tools installed (like Armory Crate, details below), drivers installed individually from ASUS support pages and/or official suppliers.
  • Currently no ASUS audio driver installed (details below)

Symptoms:

• Audio crackling/stuttering when applications/games are launched and possibly other apps causing minor load(?)
  • Usually audio problems lasts up to 10 seconds and fixes it self (condition: Windows default audio drivers)
    for example: Discord active and being in a voice channel (no screen sharing), then starting a game like Elden Ring or Diablo 2 Resurrected. Discord audio will crackle/stutter heavily.
    --> Elden Ring audio will crackle/stutter heavily when you enter the main menu.
    --> Discord audio will crackle/stutter heavily while the Battle.net launcher is trying to login, game itself not even startet yet
  • WITH official ASUS audio drivers (including SonicSuite), the audio-stutter happens more often overall, in Elden Ring it will NOT go away by itself, unless you tab out, open the Windows volume slider, and change the volume. This is quick-workaround, but no desired solution.
  • Output audio via Onboard audio with 3.5mm headphones, while the USB headset is not connected, has the same issues.
  • Output audio by a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface (connected via USB), has the the same issues.

Things i tried:

• Disabled fTPM, one of the first things i tried after discovering the problem and googling around. I imagine it reduced the occurence of the problem, but it did NOT fix it.
  • Disabled the onboard audio in BIOS, problem still exists via USB headset.
  • Updated the BIOS three times since i bought the board.
  • Tried different RAM settings, PCI-E configurations and careful adjustments on voltages (according to some reddit post), did NOT fix it.
  • Tried some custom audio drivers from some guy in the offical ASUS forums, imagined it reduced the issues a lot, but still very rare occurences.
  • I made a clean driver removal between my tries.
  • Reinstalled Windows 10 clean, minimal installation, issue still exists.

Questions/Notes:

• Is it the PSU? the PSU worked fine with my old PC (i7 4790k, same graphics card, same headset, never had issues), thats why i hesitate to exchange it
  • Maybe unrelated to the issue but is the M.2 in slot one problematic?
  • Audio drivers had the most impact, but didn't fix it. It must be something else...
  • By all means i'm not a hardware expert who knows about monitoring voltages, overclock stuff etc. I know how to build a PC (no professional), so any deep analysis requires a lot of time (which i don't have) and tools (which i don't know).
  • I have not contacted ASUS yet, as i wanted to test the current BIOS version.

Maybe this adds some information. I'm thankful for any advice to solve the audio issues.

best regards

ilmyr

@ilmyr 
If it's just audio and it didn't go away after disabling ftpm: Sorry to inform you but this isn't the right place to look for an answer. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:40 AM, ilmyr said:

Hello,

just registered to post about my issues with an "ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero" mainboard (AMD X570). My issues are similiar (sound crackling/suttering), but not entirely sure if they are related to fTPM. I mostly have the issues during launch of applications, pretty much never once they run. No random framedrops/stuttering, it's pretty much limited to audio crackling/stuttering!

So i could be in the wrong thread, please direct me to the right one if it exists...

My configuration is:

• AMD Ryzen9 5900X
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, BIOS 4201 (2022/04/29), AGESA version ComboV2PI 1207.
  • ASUS ROG Strix RTX2070
  • Corsair AX750 PSU
  • Latest chipset driver
  • No ASUS Tools installed (like Armory Crate, details below), drivers installed individually from ASUS support pages and/or official suppliers.

Symptoms:

• Audio crackling/stuttering when applications/games are launched and possibly other apps causing minor load(?)
  • Usually audio problems lasts up to 10 seconds and fixes it self (condition: Windows default audio drivers)
    for example: Discord active and being in a voice channel (no screen sharing), then starting a game like Elden Ring or Diablo 2 Resurrected. Discord audio will crackle/stutter heavily.
    --> Discord audio will crackle/stutter heavily while the Battle.net launcher is trying to login, game itself not even startet yet
  • WITH official ASUS audio drivers (including SonicSuite), the audio-stutter happens more often overall, in Elden Ring it will NOT go away by itself, unless you tab out, open the Windows volume slider, and change the volume. This is quick-workaround, but no desired solution.
  • Output audio via Onboard audio with 3.5mm headphones, while the USB headset is not connected, has the same issues.
  • Output audio by a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface (connected via USB), has the the same issues.

Things i tried:

• Disabled fTPM, one of the first things i tried after discovering the problem and googling around. I imagine it reduced the occurence of the problem, but it did NOT fix it.
  • Tried different RAM settings, PCI-E configurations and careful adjustments on voltages (according to some reddit post), did NOT fix it.
  • Tried some custom audio drivers from some guy in the offical ASUS forums, imagined it reduced the issues a lot, but still very rare occurences.

Questions/Notes:

• Is it the PSU? the PSU worked fine with my old PC (i7 4790k, same graphics card, same headset, never had issues), thats why i hesitate to exchange it
  • Audio drivers had the most impact, but didn't fix it. It must be something else...
  • By all means i'm not a hardware expert who knows about monitoring voltages, overclock stuff etc. I know how to build a PC (no professional), so any deep analysis requires a lot of time (which i don't have) and tools (which i don't know).

Maybe this adds some information. I'm thankful for any advice to solve the audio issues.

best regards

ilmyr

This is not the same as fTPM so you should open a new thread, however, my advice is as follows:

1) Clear CMOS and reset BIOS completely without touching any setting and see if the problem continues

2) If CMOS clear does not help, test with a Linux live CD to see if it's not a Windows problem

3) If still present, a component is defective and must be RMA'd, most likely your CPU is faulty and PCIe signalling is unstable.

On 6/9/2022 at 1:40 AM, rob-tech said:

I have contacted Gigabyte support and they told me to wait for the next AGESA as 1.2.0.7 does not resolve it on my X570 Aorus Xtreme. If you feel like it, you can also contact them so that the issue gains priority and is fixed.

i now also put ticket to gigabyte im on X570S UD (rev. 1.0) still same issue latest bios update still has this issue 

bios F4c AMD AGESA V2 1.2.0.7

6 hours ago, Sete said:

The fix that AMD released fixed the problem for me, but now the problem has returned.

Same here, it felt like it fixed itself for a few days, but now the issue is back and just as annoying as ever.

On 6/27/2022 at 2:40 PM, ilmyr said:

Hello,

My configuration is:

• AMD Ryzen9 5900X
  • ASUS ROG Strix RTX2070
  • Corsair AX750 PSU
  • Latest chipset driver

Symptoms:

Things i tried:

Questions/Notes:

best regards

ilmyr

Have you found a fix? I'm dying over here

X570 AORUS ELITE and ryzen 7 5800x and the issue persists even with the latests BIOS update that was supposed to fix it.

I will try with ftpm off to see if still happens

Its very sad that after so many months the problem is still not solved

On 7/8/2022 at 1:25 PM, FFY said:

X570 AORUS ELITE and ryzen 7 5800x and the issue persists even with the latests BIOS update that was supposed to fix it.

I will try with ftpm off to see if still happens

Its very sad that after so many months the problem is still not solved

Yes, with fTPM off and X570 Aorus Xtreme (3950x), not a single stutter in over 2 weeks for me, this is a joke and I recommend that everyone make noise and escalate with AMD directly even.

If this does not get fixed before AM5 release, I'm sticking in the discrete TPM and never buying an AMD platform ever again, as well as making sure no one from my friends and family gets AMD either.

gigabyte sent me this

There is no new beta BIOS for this model.  BIOS F4c is already the latest.  According to AMD website, AGESA code version V2 1.2.0.7 should already fix the issue. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-410

Please try  disabling the fTPM option and see if it can solve the issue ??

We can only provide new BIOS with new version of AGESA code, if AMD did provide us.  Currently that version is the latest from AMD.

then i sent this

disabling tpm in bips fixed tje issue so your bios still has problem

their reply

Thank you for your answer.

We have forwarded your answer and will come back to you ASAP after figuring it out clearly.

1 hour ago, rob-tech said:

Yes, with fTPM off and X570 Aorus Xtreme (3950x), not a single stutter in over 2 weeks for me, this is a joke and I recommend that everyone make noise and escalate with AMD directly even.

If this does not get fixed before AM5 release, I'm sticking in the discrete TPM and never buying an AMD platform ever again, as well as making sure no one from my friends and family gets AMD either.

They didnt even reply to my email so yeah, im kinda disapointed on gigabyte rn

12 hours ago, rob-tech said:

Well Gigabyte isn't the best regarding Software. (Excellent Hardware though)
AMD clearly has fixed the issue as it is fixed on the other MB-manufacturers with the fix from AMD, but GB seems to have not implemented the fix correctly.
I will continue to buy AMD products as Intel has had their own issues over the last years, which is why I switched in the first place. And this absolutely is not AMD's fault. But Gigabyte has lost me when it comes to motherboards.
Sorry for my weird English, it's not my first language.

Same problem on my Aorus B550 Pro AC on latelast bios, definitely not fixed on the agesa 1207 and ive seen reports on biostar motherboards too, i still see the error in event logs:
"The authority "amd-keyid-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net" does not exist"
so i still think there is someting wrong with microsoft, its so frustating.

if at least Linus could make a video talking about this issue it would help alot cause there still so many reports online.

As right now im talking with GIGABYTE support, i will post an update later with what i get.

As mentioned, currently that version V2 1.2.0.7 is the latest from AMD. We can only provide new BIOS with new version of AGESA code, if AMD did provide us. Please  check our website from time to time, if there is new BIOS with new AGESA code.  

final reply from gigabyte 

5 hours ago, robindb97 said:

As mentioned, currently that version V2 1.2.0.7 is the latest from AMD. We can only provide new BIOS with new version of AGESA code, if AMD did provide us. Please  check our website from time to time, if there is new BIOS with new AGESA code.  

The AMD fix works. It is proven by the other MB-manufacturers. 
Gigabyte needs to revisit their BIOS-version as it doesn't fully implement the working fix that AMD provided. They f***d something up, badly. 
So they don't need to wait for another AGESA-Update, because the AGESA code is NOT faulty, it is NOT the problem. The problem is the BIOS-Software (or hardware - less likely though) of GIGABYTE. Again, this is proven simply by looking at and comparing other mainboards that have been fixed by the new AGESA 1.2.0.7. 
Gigabyte really needs to stop blaming AMD and get their sh** together. 

I feel bad for the Gigabyte users. They paid good money and now they are being left alone just because Gigabyte can't admit their mistakes. Noone would be angry at Gigabyte if they'd just admit it, release a fixed BIOS version and be done with it. 

On 7/12/2022 at 5:46 PM, robindb97 said:

They told me the exact same, so i will be replacing the motherboard and staying away from them for a while

im not working without ftpm enabled so far no issues 

but in the future i will buy discrete tpm module i think i just bought this x570 mobo 

1.2.0.7 still does NOT fix the issue. It just mitigates it to happen less often. (1-2 times a day instead of 1-2  times an hour)

The only real fix is to disable fTPM or just move to Intel.