AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

20 hours ago, Soph3D said:

Did you try saving with those settings and rebooting?

Yes, i have rebooted multiple times with different settings (AUTO, TPM 2.0 etc.) still no TPM device found.

1 hour ago, Antistar said:

Yes, i have rebooted multiple times with different settings (AUTO, TPM 2.0 etc.) still no TPM device found.

If it's not too much trouble, try reseating it then clearing CMOS, then repeat the same process. Otherwise you might have a dud on your hands.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

What TPM-card will fit my motherboard?
It is an Asrock B550 Steel Legend with a TPM-SPI 13 pin connector:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1818613/Asrock-B550-Extreme4.html?page=38

I found an Asus TPM module with 13 pins but it has the missing one in the wrong spot, I think.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/TPM-SPI/

I would buy the original one from Asrock but it is not available in my country (Germany)

1 hour ago, DiceGG said:

What TPM-card will fit my motherboard?
It is an Asrock B550 Steel Legend with a TPM-SPI 13 pin connector:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1818613/Asrock-B550-Extreme4.html?page=38

I found an Asus TPM module with 13 pins but it has the missing one in the wrong spot, I think.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/TPM-SPI/

I would buy the original one from Asrock but it is not available in my country (Germany)

Newegg marketplace and eBay seem to have a number of clones that would work for you if that's an option.
A good search phrase would be "Asrock tpm 2.0 14 pin spi"
That should get you somewhere. Just ensure the "missing" pin is the correct one and you should be good.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

2 minutes ago, DiceGG said:

Thank you @Soph3DI will try that. Is a clone trustworthy? Any security concerns?

On 2/23/2022 at 12:10 PM, Soph3D said:

I'm using a no-name one which has the same chip onboard as the legit one I would have otherwise needed to buy (MS-4136).
I don't think they really do anything that could be used maliciously anyway, but I wouldn't strongly recommend using one for the actual security functionalities.

Mine was solely purchased to eliminate the stuttering issue.

The firmware is all handled by the actual chip manufacturer (Infineon, in my case), so there's not a lot of concern about anything being tampered with.

Long story short: It'll probably work, but jury's out on if you can/should trust it. Seems likely to be fine, however.

Is this still an ongoing issue for folks? just became appraised as it has been happening to me since like November.

1 hour ago, youngbloodb said:

Is this still an ongoing issue for folks? just became appraised as it has been happening to me since like November.

Yes. It's been over one year for me now on Windows 10 which is why I'm reluctant to think an actual fix is coming any time soon, if at all.

Just now, TreesP said:

Yes. It's been over one year for me now on Windows 10 which is why I'm reluctant to think an actual fix is coming any time soon, if at all.

For sure. Thanks. Might just snag my own TPM to see if that's truly my issue. Prolly is. I do not get it *that* frequently at least. 

On 3/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, TreesP said:

Hello!

I might have found the solution. I need people to confirm it please. Whoever is willing we would all appreciate it.

First, go to search and type 'optionalfeatures', then 'Turn windows features on or off' should pop up, hit enter then please look for 'Windows Hyper-v' or 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' and disable it then look for 'Windows Subsystem for Linux' (this will remove android features introduced recently on some devices! This will also remove any linux distro installed under Windows) and disable it. Please then click on Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery then click on 'Restart Now' under 'Advanced Startup' then click on Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart. This should take you to your bios where you can look for 'SVM' if you're on AMD and VTx on Intel Systems. If you have a search option in your bios that would help out a lot. If you do not have a search option tho, SVM/VTx is usually under Intel: Advanced -> Intel Virtualization Technology -> Disabled AMD: Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> SVM Mode -> Disabled Then go to Save & Exit and boot into Windows!

I really do hope people get to at least try these steps. I hope I explained the steps properly. If you have any questions or any comment on any of the steps please let me know and I'll try to help as best I could!

Thank you for anyone who tries these steps!

Reddit post:

Any fixes posted shouldn't be done or tested at this stage. You shouldn't have to do all this modification from stock to ensure the CPU works as advertised. The only fix I will ever apply now will be whatever AMD (or Microsoft) rolls out. Be it AGESA or an OS update.

True. I don't want to cut down the features I payd for, I want an update that fixes this error without me having to disable anything.

2 hours ago, gymleader said:

Any fixes posted shouldn't be done or tested at this stage. You shouldn't have to do all this modification from stock to ensure the CPU works as advertised. The only fix I will ever apply now will be whatever AMD (or Microsoft) rolls out. Be it AGESA or an OS update.

I know it SHOULDN'T be done by us instead, by the companies that are responsible but I personally have my systems and I really can't tolerate it stuttering and lagging all the time so as a possible simple temporary solution by us, we can hold back the issue and determine if it is those settings that are causing the stuttering so we can report back in a more detailed way so those companies responsible will know exactly where the issue is coming from or how the issue is related to maybe mixing TPM and those settings.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-410 

Issue Description

AMD has determined that select AMD Ryzen™ system configurations may intermittently perform extended fTPM-related memory transactions in SPI flash memory (“SPIROM”) located on the motherboard, which can lead to temporary pauses in system interactivity or responsiveness until the transaction is concluded.

Update and Workaround

• Update: Affected PCs will require a motherboard system BIOS (sBIOS) update containing enhanced modules for fTPM interaction with SPIROM. AMD expects that flashable customer sBIOS files to be available starting in early May, 2022. Exact BIOS availability timing for a specific motherboard depends on the testing and integration schedule of your manufacturer. Flashable updates for motherboards will be based on AMD AGESA 1207 (or newer).

• Workaround: As an immediate solution, affected customers dependent on fTPM functionality for Trusted Platform Module support may instead use a hardware TPM (“dTPM”) device for trusted computing. Platform dTPM modules utilize onboard non-volatile memory (NVRAM) that supersedes the TPM/SPIROM interaction described in this article.

8 minutes ago, Georgi_S said:

Issue Description

AMD has determined that select AMD Ryzen™ system configurations may intermittently perform extended fTPM-related memory transactions in SPI flash memory (“SPIROM”) located on the motherboard, which can lead to temporary pauses in system interactivity or responsiveness until the transaction is concluded.

Update and Workaround

• Update: Affected PCs will require a motherboard system BIOS (sBIOS) update containing enhanced modules for fTPM interaction with SPIROM. AMD expects that flashable customer sBIOS files to be available starting in early May, 2022. Exact BIOS availability timing for a specific motherboard depends on the testing and integration schedule of your manufacturer. Flashable updates for motherboards will be based on AMD AGESA 1207 (or newer).

• Workaround: As an immediate solution, affected customers dependent on fTPM functionality for Trusted Platform Module support may instead use a hardware TPM (“dTPM”) device for trusted computing. Platform dTPM modules utilize onboard non-volatile memory (NVRAM) that supersedes the TPM/SPIROM interaction described in this article.

Finally some official answer.

AMD claiming hardware tpm chip like discrete tpm fixes it, that is not true it can still happen, altho i can confirm if not experienced any tpm stutter since 26th januari more then a month it can still happen.

They just posted this atleast they giving a target date this will be fixed but still that is quite long away.

Very disapointed in AMD right now i will reconsider buying AMD hardware again in future if they do not set this right.

Great news! Finally we have an estimated time when the fix might be out! 
I think we should contact our motherboard manufacturers and link to that message from AMD, so they get the updates out quickly.

Some things needing discussed from this. I am worried that they have completely missed the mark. Am I missing something here?

1: The workaround (dTPM) has been stated to not actually work so that's already worrying. Granted @Soph3Dsaid it worked for them so who knows.

2: How are extended memory transactions in SPI flash causing event error id 86 (afaik can't find key url) on each boot going to magcially fix that error?

Granted they obviously reproduced the problem or had a good look at log files so I'll give AMD till mid May before any judgement is made.

If i had to go by with 1 month without issues then could consider it fixed if only i had no tpm stutter with dTPM chip installed within the first hour of doing an clean install, so i would consider anything a placebo fix except turning of security device, but why would some one do that unless its truely bad once a day more or less.

Honestly i do not think its a good idea even to say dTPM can fix it without any actual proof these chips are being scalped and we already in a shortage, why we wasting money on chips we bassicly already have on our cpu to begin with, and AMD if they actually gonna set a deadline of early may for a fix i would least assume they know whats causing this and actually report that instead, its like they made a big oopsie and have a big security vulnerability to hide and the bandaid causing tpm stuttering.

3 hours ago, gymleader said:

Some things needing discussed from this. I am worried that they have completely missed the mark. Am I missing something here?

1: The workaround (dTPM) has been stated to not actually work so that's already worrying. Granted @Soph3Dsaid it worked for them so who knows.

2: How are extended memory transactions in SPI flash causing event error id 86 (afaik can't find key url) on each boot going to magcially fix that error?

Granted they obviously reproduced the problem or had a good look at log files so I'll give AMD till mid May before any judgement is made.

Anyone stating dTPM not having been a viable solution is having some different, unrelated issue... despite their refusal to accept it.

Edit: To clarify, as AMD has specified... the issue involving fTPM that we've been experiencing cannot happen on discrete modules because dTPM uses NVRAM rather than the SPI memory that the issue relates to.

Only just found this thread thanks to that AMD article, I've been dealing with these stutters for a year and had no idea it was fTPM causing it! Disabled in bios now. (5950x & x570).

Got update on my MSI x470 gaming pro - - Update to AMD ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.5
but date is 2022-01-28 so it's probably have nothing to do with news about fix, so i guess I'll skip it for now.

22 hours ago, Georgi_S said:

Issue Description

Update and Workaround

There is light at the end of the tunnel after all!

Shame it's still so far away, and even then, it'll be even longer for Gigabyte (at least for me) to roll out a non-beta BIOS with this. But damn, it's so nice to see some progress on this!

2 hours ago, SilentPrayerCG said:

Got update on my MSI x470 gaming pro - - Update to AMD ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.5
but date is 2022-01-28 so it's probably have nothing to do with news about fix, so i guess I'll skip it for now.

Fix won't be till AGESA 1.2.0.7

I expect fixed BIOS in late March. AMD did the same thing with USB disconnect stating the AGESA would be deployed in 2-3 months and then 3 weeks later manufacturers had beta BIOS.