AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

On 5/1/2022 at 7:22 PM, gymleader said:

People with 86 error have stutter. People without 86 error don't. It's fair to make that link.

Fair but not necessarily accurate.

As a side: I have the stutters but not the event log error.

Gigabyte just released AGESA 1.2.0.7 for my board, B550 Aorus Elite v2. An hour after updating I get the same stutter.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

1 hour ago, Speedbird said:

Gigabyte just released AGESA 1.2.0.7 for my board, B550 Aorus Elite v2. An hour after updating I get the same stutter.

I'm starting to think that's why MSI has pushed back the release of their B550 board BIOS to June. Doesn't sound like the AGESA is ready. 

That's me being hopeful though.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

On 5/14/2022 at 6:06 AM, Speedbird said:

So far for me it seems like this update has the fixed the stutter... but I will update if it occurs again

X570 Aorus Xtreme (Ryzen 3950x) with BIOS F36c (AGESA 1.2.0.7) does NOT fix the issue for me, still exact same symptoms and frequency as before with under 2 seconds of freezing and audio corrupting/cutting out. Problem began ever since Windows 11 and toggling fTPM in BIOS.

Really disappointed, hoping this is the result of BETA BIOS/AGESA and not the so called final fix. All troubleshooting has been carried out and the CMOS fully cleared to ensure a clean slate.

If this continues, I will buy the discrete TPM, however since the issue is quite rare for me (1 time every 2+ days), I will give them a couple of months to remedy.

Hello there, well, I just created an account to share my experience (and also to thanks the great peoples sharing their knowledge) with TPM/fTPM (on W10) or whatever this is, I'm a bit of a noob on the subject.

Yesterday I was reinstalling windows, as well as troubleshooting the error event ID 86 from my Event viewer. 

I rapidly discovered the issue between TPM and AMD hardware. Naturally I disabled it, and its pretty much safe to say that it solved some of my microfreeze/stutters issues.

Now I have a question, I know this feature would be useful on W11, (e.g Vanguard anticheat requires it on 11, and I believe lots of other programs will need it too), but what about Win10 ? Is it a good move to disable it, would I ever run into incompatibility issues ? EDIT : I'm mostly gaming/doing MAO/browsing.  

Sorry if have a bad english, and again, thanks for this interesting thread.

Patiently waiting for the b450 bios update from MSI. 

On 7/6/2021 at 4:23 AM, VioDuskar said:

which ASUS b550 wifi motherboard is this? TUF gaming or ROG Strix? 

the tuf gaming has a TPM header. you would do best with buying the TPM chip to go in the header instead of using the fTPM because the Firmware TMP probably steals clock cycles from the CPU if i had to guess. whereas dedicated TPM hardware does not.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/TPM-SPI/

Here we go again. Installing a hardware tpm on a ryzen board does not guarantee fix for the stutters. It was already discussed back in the thread. It might, but is not 100% guarantee.

The only reliable way to fix this issue is simply going to an Intel platform. AMD really fraked this one up, and not buying anything from them for quite a long time. You can still get a 12400 and not deal with their e-cores crap as well if it just for gaming.

4 hours ago, stage said:

Here we go again. Installing a hardware tpm on a ryzen board does not guarantee fix for the stutters. It was already discussed back in the thread. It might, but is not 100% guarantee.

The only reliable way to fix this issue is simply going to an Intel platform. AMD really fraked this one up, and not buying anything from them for quite a long time. You can still get a 12400 and not deal with their e-cores crap as well if it just for gaming.

Literally one person who got a dTPM claimed to have an issue still, and I'm still convinced it's user error or a faulty module. The issue as described by AMD cannot possibly affect a discrete TPM due to functional differences in how it operates versus AMD's fTPM.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

I'm on Win11 since I installed a discrete (SPI) TPM module. So far so good. But I don't want to speak for everyone, I can only share my personal experience, that is all.

Spoiler

A tipp for if one still encounters the issue: Please note that you must enable the discrete TPM in UEFI/BIOS. Simply sticking it onto your MB isn't enough.

23 hours ago, stage said:

No, installing a discrete module must resolve the issue as it bypasses the TPM's interaction with the BIOS ROM chip and uses a different bus to communicate. Anyone who reports anything else probably either:

1) Did not configure the BIOS correctly, they probably fitted the new dTPM while keeping fTPM enabled as a result Windows continues to use it and stutters persist, instead of making use of the discrete TPM hardware.

2) The issue is entirely not applicable and could be caused by wrong voltages, unstable infinity fabric etc.

Installing the hardware is not enough, Windows must actually be provisioned to use it, therefore, you shouldn't spread misinformation. Intel also has or had it's problems and failures in the past and does not guarantee problem free computing.

Hi. So I started having random lag/fps loss some 6 months back while browsing, youtube or playing games. I tried everything from taking the PC apart, cleaning everything to reinstalling windows. After this, on another forum I was suggested that this was an fTPM issue, but from whatever videos are there on the web, I'm not sure if my issue is the same. My stutters last longer when I'm not playing games, during games this issue mostly start when I go back to the game from pause menu (or any other menu). I have to restart the game to fix this. For some games (mostly Betheda's - Skyrim and FO4), alt-tabbing fixes this.

My specs-

Ryzen 5 1600

Rog strix GTX 1660ti

16gb 3000 Hz RAM

500 gb SATA SSD

1 TB NVME

Corsair RMX 650

144 Hz AOC 24-inch monitor

Windows 10

Attaching a video from Arkham Knight to show you what I mean.

Anyone else experienced the same?

2 hours ago, ouroboros16 said:

Hi. So I started having random lag/fps loss some 6 months back while browsing, youtube or playing games. I tried everything from taking the PC apart, cleaning everything to reinstalling windows. After this, on another forum I was suggested that this was an fTPM issue, but from whatever videos are there on the web, I'm not sure if my issue is the same. My stutters last longer when I'm not playing games, during games this issue mostly start when I go back to the game from pause menu (or any other menu). I have to restart the game to fix this. For some games (mostly Betheda's - Skyrim and FO4), alt-tabbing fixes this.

My specs-

Ryzen 5 1600

Rog strix GTX 1660ti

16gb 3000 Hz RAM

500 gb SATA SSD

1 TB NVME

Corsair RMX 650

144 Hz AOC 24-inch monitor

Windows 10

Attaching a video from Arkham Knight to show you what I mean.

Anyone else experienced the same?

This is a different issue and it's probably best to open a new topic to get the help you need (and also not to derail this thread).

FWIW: I have the same issue with GTA V, it's a common problem with the game engine and usually turning on Vsync would solve the issue as well.

For those on MSI boards, the beta BIOS have all mostly rolled out now, I think. We're still waiting on some X470 boards and perhaps a few stragglers on some other chipsets.

You can find them in the Google Drive collection here. Otherwise, you can wait for them to be added to your motherboard's support page in the coming weeks.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

I updated my (beta) BIOS to AGESA 1207 and I'm still getting stuttering. Using Asus X570-I Gaming with 3700X in Windows 11 22H2. If this isn't fixed, this is probably the the last straw for me with AMD. They screwed me in the 5700XT drivers and now this...

I contacted ASROCK and got an Email with an attached beta BIOS, that isn't on their website yet. This is specifically for the "Asrock B550 Steel Legend".
The Email said:

Hello,

our BIOS department is testing AGESA1207 on many mainboards already.

Once the test of the B550 SL is done, we put them online.

You can use attached (beta) 2.21 if you meet the fTPM stuttering issue.

Best regards,
ASRock Technical Support

I'm not gonna upload the BIOS due to it's beta status and potential damage it could cause, so you guys have to contact them yourselves if you want early access to that BIOS.
But it's very nice to hear that they are working behind the scenes to provide a stable version and not just release a half *rsed version to the public.
What I'm getting from this is that we all likely have to wait a little longer. Easy to say for me with the SPI module, I know. But the good news is: AMD and the board partners are not just being idle, they are working on the issue. Hang in there, fellas.

My Asus B550i appears to be fixed with the recent bios. I'll update this comment if not. 

Edit

Ya its fixed (5 days later)

I've noticed my issue becomes less frequent by removing a spare USB cable I would keep plugged in for charging when needed.

My mobo MSI 470x gaming pro get bios update few days ago

- Update to AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.7. - Change the default setting of Secure Boot.

Updated, wonder if will fix stuttering.

upd

didn't noticed any stutters for whole day, i guess they actually finally fixed it

The 1.2.0.7 from the Asrock-Mail runs extremely well! For some weird reason my Cinebench-Scores went up, even though I'm still rocking the SPI-Module... weird. Also there have been zero hickups, even games run smoother, less fps drops etc. I wonder what that would have to do with anything but I'm just reporting what I'm experiencing.
Might be pure coincidence but maybe they gave me some test-version in which they also optimized something else aside from the AMD-fix?

image.png.c2d3db600b0676f0d32dc2bff3aba657.png

The BIOS is out of Beta and officially fixes the issue according to the change notes.

On 6/4/2022 at 3:50 PM, VelocityXCI said:

My Aorus Pro AX still stutters after the bios update 

Same here, I've updated my Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro to BIOS version F63b (AGESA V2 1.2.0.7) and it did not fix the stutter when using the fTPM. Still the solution is to keep it off and Windows 10.

20 hours ago, GugaJedi said:

Same here, I've updated my Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro to BIOS version F63b (AGESA V2 1.2.0.7) and it did not fix the stutter when using the fTPM. Still the solution is to keep it off and Windows 10.

I have contacted Gigabyte support and they told me to wait for the next AGESA as 1.2.0.7 does not resolve it on my X570 Aorus Xtreme. If you feel like it, you can also contact them so that the issue gains priority and is fixed.

Is anyone who is NOT using a Gigabyte board having the same problem with the new AGESA release? Just curious.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:40 AM, rob-tech said:

I have contacted Gigabyte support and they told me to wait for the next AGESA as 1.2.0.7 does not resolve it on my X570 Aorus Xtreme. If you feel like it, you can also contact them so that the issue gains priority and is fixed.

Is that just some random customer service guy saying that though who has no idea if the next update will fix it?