I blew up my motherboard. Is my GPU toast?

Hi all, new to the  forum. I built a mining rig about 4 months ago by using the following:

mobo: MSI tomahawk max II B450

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

GPUs:

gtx 1660 ti (x2)

radeon 6700xt (x2)

Radeon 5600xt

PSU: rosewill  1000w

i used pci raisers in order to fit all gpus on the rig. 

For about 4 months things were going great. All cards were mildly overclocked and temps were around 45-50 Celsius on the gpus. All of a sudden the rig completely shuts down. I took the mobo/psu/gpus off the mining frame to see what happened. I couldn’t find anything wrong since the rig was not touched for 4 months other than dusting things off. Once out of the mining frame I turned it on and it shut down immediately. I tried it once more and a small chip on the mobo blew up. Literally. So I got myself a new mobo/cpu/PSU to see if my gpus are still good. On this particular mobo there are LED indicators for Cpu, VGA, Ram, and boot. I get the GPU led light on on the new system with the old GPU and Ram. My question is, did the incident fried my GPUs? I don’t have video output since the incident and the new  set up. Outside of mining, has anyone of you experienced such thing? Where mobo blows up? I’ve tried everything that’s available on the web in regards to the VGA led. So I went ahead and flashed the bios with the same firmware I originally had on in the first place. Now the CPU led is on instead of the VGA led. The CPU led was always on even though the system was working fine. I’m at a dead end with ideas now. Any help would be appreciated 👍

8 minutes ago, Farbod said:

Hi all, new to the  forum. I built a mining rig about 4 months ago by using the following:

GPUs:

gtx 1660 ti (x2)

radeon 6700xt (x2)

Radeon 5600xt

i used pci raisers in order to fit all gpus on the rig. 

For about 4 months things were going great. All cards were mildly overclocked and temps were around 45-50 Celsius on the gpus. All of a sudden the rig completely shuts down. I took the mobo/psu/gpus off the mining frame to see what happened. I couldn’t find anything wrong since the rig was not touched for 4 months other than dusting things off. Once out of the mining frame I turned it on and it shut down immediately. I tried it once more and a small chip on the mobo blew up. Literally. So I got myself a new mobo/cpu/PSU to see if my gpus are still good. On this particular mobo there are LED indicators for Cpu, VGA, Ram, and boot. I get the GPU led light on on the new system with the old GPU and Ram. My question is, did the incident fried my GPUs? I don’t have video output since the incident and the new  set up. Outside of mining, has anyone of you experienced such thing? Where mobo blows up? I’ve tried everything that’s available on the web in regards to the VGA led. So I went ahead and flashed the bios with the same firmware I originally had on in the first place. Now the CPU led is on instead of the VGA led. The CPU led was always on even though the system was working fine. I’m at a dead end with ideas now. Any help would be appreciated 👍

Is your power section temps on Motherboard were normal?

Maybe overheat caused this...

I'm here to help you out with some basic tasks, I'm still learning some things, so don't belive I can solve everything 😉

I'm collecting all type of hardware - 90% of my collection is a LGA775 stuff rest is some 2010's Era

Hit me up on discord if you want to talk more

heli #1337

PSU to GPU is more of a concern? Although if something did get through the PCIE into the GPU, there can be an possiblity or about at least some kind of damage? Else it might be more on the CPU and motherboard?

26 minutes ago, Helly Benchmarking said:

All temps were normal. The PSU just stopped working after the incident 

27 minutes ago, Helly Benchmarking said:

44 minutes ago, Farbod said:

GPUs:

gtx 1660 ti (x2)

radeon 6700xt (x2)

Radeon 5600xt

You pushed the limits and now you have to check things one by one. This is an expensive lesson to learn, but maybe you will know better next time.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

2 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

You pushed the limits and now you have to check things one by one. This is an expensive lesson to learn, but maybe you know better.

I rushed it. Definitely learned my lesson. So you think the gpus are done?

10 minutes ago, Farbod said:

I rushed it. Definitely learned my lesson. So you think the gpus are done?

All those OC'ed GPUs on your setup with just a 1000 watt PSU is not advisable IMO. You have to check those GPUs one by one (maybe in a cheap test system).

Maybe @Moonzyhas some advise.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

4 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

All those OC'ed GPUs on your setup with just a 1000 watt PSU is not advisable IMO. You have to check those GPUs one by one (maybe in a cheap test system).

I’ve tested them all in a new system. Nothing lights up. 

5 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

1000W is fine as long as it's reliable unit

Idk about OP's PSU, but mining puts a heavy load on the PSU so you don't want to cheap out on it because PSU with horrible ripple is known to kill motherboard and GPUs

I'm also not sure by how op setup his GPU, like what OC and what softwares he's using

I'm running 4 GPU on my hx1000, one of them is a 3090, without any issues

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

29 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

1000W is fine as long as it's reliable unit

Idk about OP's PSU, but mining puts a heavy load on the PSU so you don't want to cheap out on it because PSU with horrible ripple is known to kill motherboard and GPUs

I'm also not sure by how op setup his GPU, like what OC and what softwares he's using

I'm running 4 GPU on my hx1000, one of them is a 3090, without any issues

I’m just surprised how it all went down. I didn’t see any warnings. System just decided to shut down. My OC settings were mild nothing too crazy. I was also running Radeon’s own software and MSI for Nvidia for the OC. 

4 minutes ago, Farbod said:

My OC settings were mild nothing too crazy. I was also running Radeon’s own software and MSI for Nvidia for the OC

You may want to look into the common overclock for mining for each individual chip

But that's a little bit too late now

I also still don't know what softwares you used to mine so I can't comment

9 hours ago, Moonzy said:

You may want to look into the common overclock for mining for each individual chip

But that's a little bit too late now

I also still don't know what softwares you used to mine so I can't comment

I used Phoenix miner attached to ethermine. So no way to revive these cards? 

Just now, Farbod said:

I used Phoenix miner attached to ethermine. So no way to revive these cards? 

depends on what's broken about them, if you tested them individually in a known working system and they don't work

if the GPU chip itself is broken, then no

if the SMD are damaged, then maybe

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

depends on what's broken about them, if you tested them individually in a known working system and they don't work

if the GPU chip itself is broken, then no

if the SMD are damaged, then maybe

Do you know any services that I can utilize to repair/diagnose? I live in Southern California  I’m willing to ship them as well. 

21 minutes ago, Farbod said:

Do you know any services that I can utilize to repair/diagnose? I live in Southern California  I’m willing to ship them as well. 

They might have blown fuses.  Any computer repair shop with half decent solder skills can fix them if its just the fuses.

There is a Youtube channel of a guy similar to Rosman (but not quite as entertaining) but he specializes in computer hardware vice Apple.  I don't remember his cannel name off the top of my head and I don't have access to YT at this time but you might be able to send him the cards for repair. 

28 minutes ago, Farbod said:

im not from the US nor do i know of any reputable repair PCB repair shops, unfortunately

29 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

im not from the US nor do i know of any reputable repair PCB repair shops, unfortunately

No worries, thank you for the info. Appreciate it. 

On 7/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, Farbod said:

So no way to revive these cards? 

Just RMA them to their individual manufacturer, same with the MB. most cards have like a 4 year or so warranty and MB its usually around the same. when shit fails that is the whole reason the RMA process exists is for when shit fails before it is expected to. the manufacture is responsible for not giving out lemon cards so if you get stuff that fails send it in and make them fix it for free under the warranty RMA process.

this is one for r/Unethical life tips:

if you mine with GPU and want to get out of mining or the hash rates have dropped or if the warranty is about to expire in a month just RMA it for a new one. The one you get back can then be sold on eBay for a profit since you likely got the card at a lower price than current market price. And you can buy a brand new better card with a full multi year warranty remaining. Or throw the fixed RMA card back in your rig and mine on it some more either way its a win.