Compact mATX case with PSU in front? Does such a case exist?

Alvin853

I like small cases, that don't "waste" a lot of volume that's just not usable. Now there are many ITX/SFF cases that pack all components into really tight spaces, most of them have the PSU in front and an internal AC cable so the connector is still on the back of the case. But I don't see any case manufacturer using the same concept in mid-tower/mATX-cases. 

An ITX build is out of the question for me: they need special hardware (ITX board, SFX PSU), can't fit decent CPU coolers, no room for 3.5" HDDs, no additional add-in cards, and if you ever need to change anything, you have to take the entire thing apart, no easy access to RAM, M.2 and so on.

But almost every mid tower is the height of an mATX board + PSU on top or bottom, long enough for your standard size graphics card and lots of unused volume inside the case. There are some cases, like the O11 mini or the Corsair 280X, that put the PSU behind the motherboard tray, reducing one dimension of the case, but adding to the other.

My ideal mATX case would look something like this (not drawn to scale, I hope you like my paint skills):
 731085612_compactcase.png.3d6728da511f51ab022de30f4d0b2b76.png

With the PSU in front, the fan could draw fresh air directly through the front, and exhaust out top, maybe even put a PSU shroud over it so the hot air doesn't go into the case and to hide the cables, and we need some sort of mounting bracket for the PSU anyway.

One of the bottom fans could be removed to add a drive cage for 3.5" HDDs in the bottom right corner, 2.5" SSDs can be mounted on the back of the motherboard tray like many cases already do.

So does anyone know if a case like this exists? Would this be something more people are interested in so we could possibly ask a case manufacturer to make a case like this?

Could be modified into one, but cable lenght issues and other things will become more of an thing.

Also most people don't turn it off/on that often anyways?

Some HDD and/or disc readers sometimes have enough space for an PSU, but you would need a big case and modifications. Don't think it's worth it.

You've basically created the Cooler Master Q500L.

You probably wouldn't want to use it.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You've basically created the Cooler Master Q500L.

You probably wouldn't want to use it.

Almost like the Q500L, but still smaller... The Q500L fits regular ATX boards so its height is still mATX + PSU

i think this type of case does exist but i can not remember where i have seen it before. maybe an inverted case.

45 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Almost like the Q500L, but still smaller... The Q500L fits regular ATX boards so its height is still mATX + PSU

No, it isn't, because the PSU fits in front of the board "within" the ATX board's height, exactly as in your concept drawing.

section10-img-1-image.png

Note PSU sitting vertically in the front right corner. The Q500L is shorter than many mATX cases because of this.

With an mATX board it lays out like this:

section10-img-2-image.png

So you could save a couple inches if you sacrifice full ATX compatibility, but then you also wouldn't even be able to fit a 120mm fan in the front beneath the PSU. Maybe if you went to an SFX power supply you could squeeze a fan in but at that point we may as well just do an ITX build. 

You've basically just reinvented the Q500L and the Q500L is not a very good case, although there are things CM could have done to execute the concept better. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

the c14 is cheap and eazy to get then you need he other connector c15. as for on off you can get a c14/15 on off switch

you can get pus 3d print mounts but they want like $30...so just and 90 degree mount will do.

615iZtfZwrL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

problems im seeing now with the 30xx gpus and how long and wide they are and how much power they use they seem to be getting too hot.

ether newer gpu will need to find away t fix this problem or case to adapt to it.

the problem is the air getting trapped at the bottom of the case and it being wider dose not help as air gos into the fans and out the sides but with the gap between then gpu and the side panel being less makes it hard for the hot air to get out.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 7/5/2021 at 3:42 PM, tdkid said:

i think this type of case does exist but i can not remember where i have seen it before. maybe an inverted case.

Sliger Cerberus

image.thumb.png.7a2f6d017c7195da1b83fcf794981c44.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 7/10/2021 at 12:10 AM, savagemadman said:

That looks very interesting. A similar to NR200 Styled mATX case? You have my attention

Side note; some people might see "SAMA" and think "whos this no-name case manufacturer?" They actually are an OEM for a lot of cases sold by other companies

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25