Are all VA panels like this?

Brofel

I own the MSI MAG249C. 

Link.

It is a 144Hz monitor, 1080p, with great viewing angles. I was always under the impression that this is an IPS monitor, because of the viewing angles. I looked up the model again and saw it advertised as a VA panel. This makes no sense to me because everywhere I look I see people saying VA panels have bad viewing angles, while my colors don't shift at all. It is also advertised with 178° viewing angles which I totally believe.

Is every VA panel like this now? Ive been looking to upgrade and was wondering if this is a one-off.

VA panels have viewing angles in between IPS (best) and TN (worst).

The usual knock on VA panels is ghosting. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Brofel said:

Is every VA panel like this now? Ive been looking to upgrade and was wondering if this is a one-off.

In my experience there is quite a lot of variation in VA panels.

I've seen panels with horrible viewing angles and seen them with great viewing angles. Same goes for the colors.

Most of the 'general' knowledge about VA panels is in my opinion pretty irrelevant (i.e. the general idea that "VA has great black-levels/contrast", "VA has bad viewing angles/colors", etc. I find to be debatable, because of the amount of variation).

4 minutes ago, Brofel said:

It is also advertised with 178° viewing angles which I totally believe.

In my experience, everything above the about $150 range is described to have a 178° viewing angle (horizontally speaking, there is more variation in vertical).

I think it's somewhat meaningless of a spec, because even some cheap TN panels (with bad viewing angles) have this as a descriptor in their specifications.

Great to hear you're having a good time with your monitor, as I said there is a bit of variation in VA panel monitors, so it does seem like you got a good one!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

VA viewing angles are heavily dependant on the display coating. My PG35VQ has decent viewing angles, but when i look at it from a very strong angle i can see that the colors lose saturation. But then there are TV's like the high-end Samsung QLED ones that have a special coating that bring their VA TVs to IPS like viewing angles.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Brofel said:

It is a 144Hz monitor, 1080p, with great viewing angles. I was always under the impression that this is an IPS monitor, because of the viewing angles. I looked up the model again and saw it advertised as a VA panel. This makes no sense to me because everywhere I look I see people saying VA panels have bad viewing angles, while my colors don't shift at all. It is also advertised with 178° viewing angles which I totally believe.

Every curved monitor on the market right now smaller than 34" ultrawide is a VA panel, as making curved IPS screens is expensive and it only makes sense on expensive monitors.

But yes, viewing angles on VA panels are really good, especially left and right. Going up and down usually is not quite as good as an IPS, but still miles better than any TN panel. VA is not just inbetween IPS and TN in terms of viewing angles, it's much closer to IPS than it is to TN. 

43 minutes ago, Brofel said:

I own the MSI MAG249C. 

Link.

Monitor technology has been changing fairly quickly. A modern VA panel is likely to have a much better viewing angle than one several years old

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.