EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 - Flashing Red Light every few minuetes

TheNuzziNuzz

I just bought a used RTX 3090 for a scalped price. I have the original receipt from Microcenter.

Every few minuetes, the RGB will shut off and little red light on the corner of the card will flash. It only lasts under a second but it has me concerned.

I don't notice any performance drops, hesitations or really any other sign other than that.

EVGA Precision X1 is showing the GPU temperature 60c roughly 38% power usage right now & the flashing is happening probably about every 40 seconds. Each flash lasts maybe 200-300ms.

Power supply is a EVGA Supernova 1600G+ I just took out of the original plastic wrap yesterday.

Thoughts?

Computers r fun

If the red light is above one of the power connectors, that usually means it's having a power issue related to that connector. 

How many cables run from the PSU to the GPU?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If the red light is above one of the power connectors, that usually means it's having a power issue related to that connector. 

Awesome thanks!

Computers r fun

18 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

How many cables run from the PSU to the GPU?

Connections are all good. Sometimes it flashes the 1st led & sometimes the 3rd plug.

I think it's time to contact support, I'd just be real surprised if it's the brand new 1600g+ PSU I just got.

Computers r fun

25 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Connections are all good. Sometimes it flashes the 1st led & sometimes the 3rd plug.

I think it's time to contact support, I'd just be real surprised if it's the brand new 1600g+ PSU I just got.

It's the video card.  A lot of the ver 0.1 PCB's are dying like that, especially often when running older, light load games.  The new revision PCB, v1.0, uses a new voltage controller and seems to be fixed.  But you have to apply for RMA for it to a specific evga email.  Check their forums for it as I do not know it.

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

It's the video card.  A lot of the ver 0.1 PCB's are dying like that, especially often when running older, light load games.  The new revision PCB, v1.0, uses a new voltage controller and seems to be fixed.  But you have to apply for RMA for it to a specific evga email.  Check their forums for it as I do not know it.

So, my card is going to die soon most likely?

Computers r fun

2 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

So, my card is going to die soon most likely?

I can't answer this question.  Please read the forum I told you to read and do your research there.  If I were you, I would meticulously apply for the RMA and get a fixed 1.0 revision card and not play around with fire.  Especially in this market.

17 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

I can't answer this question.  Please read the forum I told you to read and do your research there.  If I were you, I would meticulously apply for the RMA and get a fixed 1.0 revision card and not play around with fire.  Especially in this market.

I can't find the forum post. Not sure what to search for, tried power connector, red light, power issue, etc & cannot find what you describe.

Would you possibly be willing to help me find it? I really appreciate it, sorry for being unclear. I completely agree, I definitely want to get an RMA the flashing freaks me out....and yeah I even bought this card scalped with the receipt & without the original box...it was cheap, I guess I know why now.

Computers r fun

1 hour ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I can't find the forum post. Not sure what to search for, tried power connector, red light, power issue, etc & cannot find what you describe.

Would you possibly be willing to help me find it? I really appreciate it, sorry for being unclear. I completely agree, I definitely want to get an RMA the flashing freaks me out....and yeah I even bought this card scalped with the receipt & without the original box...it was cheap, I guess I know why now.

I'm sorry but I simply don't have time for that.  It's not fair for me to do other people's searching for them, especially since I don't even own an evga card.

It was in the main FTW3 bios thread there which used to be stickied.

On 7/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, Falkentyne said:

the vRms have trouble working at sub normal loads?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

On 7/6/2021 at 5:05 PM, TheNuzziNuzz said:

had the same problems with my strix 3090 oc and a be quiet dark power pro 11 1200w bought the dark power pro 12 1500 on amazon to test if the blinking lights does  come back but no it never showed again  

On 7/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, Lecom1020 said:

had the same problems with my strix 3090 oc and a be quiet dark power pro 11 1200w bought the dark power pro 12 1500 on amazon to test if the blinking lights does  come back but no it never showed again  

Odd, I have a 1600g+ brand new, I feel like that's plenty for even two 3090s

Computers r fun

21 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Thank you! So, flashing a BIOS solves this issue for some people?

Not that I know of (and I've followed that thread), this was the thread that had the special RMA link specifically for power delivery imbalances.

The issues seem hit and miss as I have the original 3090 FTW3 Ultra (purchased last November) w/ an EK waterblock installed & the 500W Rebar BIOS paired with a Corsair AX1200i PSU and have never experienced the wild power imbalances described in the thread (lucky?).

EVGA has fantastic technical support. If you have the receipt, contacting them is 100% the way to go instead of posting in forums (nothing against the forums in general) and getting random people's opinions about what could be the problem. Worst case scenario you'll have to RMA the card, but they can walk you through the troubleshooting/updating steps and tell you if the version of the card that you have has issues.