City 17 is being re-created in Unreal Engine

PyroDonkey

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2037585&postcount=3431

Was working on this City 17 environment in UDK, still tons of stuff to do like creating all the exterior stuff, train interiors and some smaller models (monitors and props) but then Epic released UE4 in all its glory. I'll probably quit this project in UDK and convert it all to the Unreal Engine 4. It's gonna take a while though. Please note that there's lots of placeholder models/textures/lighting and general derpyness in these pics. Can't wait to get going with UE4.

etyTBGQ.jpg

FUmUsMs.jpg

MQ0bvSC.jpg

Project Refresh - [900D x 780 Ti SLI x Watercooled]

Build Log

While this does look extremely good, if HL2 actually looked like this it wouldn't make me feel any more immersed. The Source Engine's graphics are obviously aging, but what really made the game was the facial and character animation. In a world full of aliens and their technology, the one part that players can really relate to in this game is human emotion, which is way more powerful than stuff like better lighting.

Excited.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Oh no.... Seeing this only makes me long for HL3 even more!  :(

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Yes! I love the fact that anyone can now licence Unreal Engine. Lets just hope Valve does not pull the plug on this one. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

While this does look extremely good, if HL2 actually looked like this it wouldn't make me feel any more immersed. The Source Engine's graphics are obviously aging, but what really made the game was the facial and character animation. In a world full of aliens and their technology, the one part that players can really relate to in this game is human emotion, which is way more powerful than stuff like better lighting.

For me, and increased level of detail would lead to more immersion.  Think about the slums with humans huddled together in fear.  As good of a job as Valve did the first time around (most of it was voice driven), a lot more can be done.  You saw old television sets and a dirty mattress, but think about what could be done now graphically to depict that part of the struggle. 

Yes! I love the fact that anyone can now licence Unreal Engine. Lets just hope Valve does not pull the plug on this one. 

as long as the guy makes it 100% free, they won't

/thread

giphy.gif

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

as long as the guy makes it 100% free, they won't

Unless they pull a black mesa and let them sell it for all their work.

Half-Life 2 looks pretty close to this, I like it. Unreal Engine 4 will look better, I can't wait till Source Engine 3 comes out and we see more on future Valve games :D

Half-Life 2 looks pretty close to this, I like it. Unreal Engine 4 will look better, I can't wait till Source Engine 3 comes out and we see more on future Valve games :D

don't you mean source 2?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

don't you mean source 2?

Yes, the whole time I was writing that I was think of all the 3's we will see.

but what if HL3 had improved IRA-like facial animation, with graphics on par to those seen above, and made to perfectly mesh with Oculus and other VR peripherals.

So that you could be truly immersed in the game.

Would that still not make it any better? (we're assuming you can maintain a comfortable frame-rate)

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

wow, this is awesome. Someon should make some side by side comparisons! maybe il will do that now haha

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

just made some pics for a comparison

2014-04-03_00005.jpg

hl21.jpg

2014-04-03_00006.jpg

hl22.jpg

2014-04-03_00007.jpg

hl23.jpg

the ue4 version looks freaking amazing if you ask me.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Wow, he couldn't have just said "Good Job!"

Man, if I did something that awesome and took that much of my time so everyone could enjoy it when it was finished, and then someone said what was essentially, "Not good enough...", that would hurt.

I would definitely pay for a remake of the game with such graphics, amazing job!

Looks good.

Not sure if it would work in the actual game due or if it would look overdone.

yes yes yes

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN

damn you Gaben if you sued him or something

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

the ue4 version looks freaking amazing if you ask me.

ur looking at UE3 not 4

4 will come later

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

damn you Gaben if you sued him or something

When the Black Mesa mod was in development Valve was ok with it but Gabe asked the modders to remove the 'Source' part of the mod name. Previously it was known as 'Black Mesa Source'. Interestingly though valve does not have a problem with their website domain- blackmesasource.com

Oh boy, another vaguely Half-Life related news topic. There are no brakes on the hype train.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510