2x2x32GB or 4x32GB that is the question.

Go to solution Solved by CryingWimp,
7 minutes ago, Ephreal said:

They are dual rank, and looks like its manufacturer is Hynix.

Perfect. You already have what is best.

If you get new ram you might lose performance. If you add another dual rank kit you will now be in quad rank which can be unstable at higher speeds. If you add another kit that is single rank your ram will not be matched and likely cause your performance to go down.

If you need more ram, the best way is to sell your kit and get a new 4x32GB kit. 128GB of ram will almost certainly be in quad rank though. You don't want quad rank unless you actually need the 128GB of ram, then quad rank is fine because you need more ram.

Otherwise, you already have the ideal setup. Cheers

I've just build a new computer with and AMD Ryzen 9 process. I've recently seen that if you use 4 stick of memory instead of 2 you can achieve upto 8 or 10 % more performance in games.

Now i have a 2 stick set of ram in my PC. The question is can i just buy another set of the same type i already have or do i need to switch them all out for a 4 stick set ?

If anyone have a review of said problem they could also link would also be nice.

Regards

You can get SOME performance boost in some cases on ryzen 5000 series at least, yes. But dont expect too much, if you have enough RAM capacity now it may not be worth it.

And, yes, You can just add more of the same, I did on my PC. Just make sure its actually the same. They are known to switch out the chips and still market it as the same.

It can still run with mismatched sets, but it might be at lower performance or increased stability

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

It's not as simple. 

Let's say you have a Single Rank 8GB sticks. 

Then 4x8GB will be faster than 2x8G.

But 4x8GB Single Rank will perform the same as 2x16GB Dual Rank while at the same time it will be more difficult to OC as you're using more sticks. 

It also matters how many bank groups is on the memory stick... the more the better for latency. 

The more sticks and ranks, the more difficult it's to run memory on high speed. 

All 32GB sticks are at least Dual Rank. 4x32GB 3600MT/s CL16 would be considered to be lucky if it works in most CPUs with no tinkering at all 

The goal is 4 total ranks. 2 in each channel, that's why its called dual rank.

Memory sticks are either single rank or dual rank, how you get to 4 doesn't matter.

Good

2x 2 dual rank sticks = 4 ranks

4x 4 single rank sticks = 4 ranks

BAD

2x 2 single rank sticks = 2 ranks

4x 4 dual rank sticks = 8 ranks

CPUz will show if your current ram is single or dual already.

It is almost impossible to know if a new kit of ram is single or dual channel without testing them. The most likely way to get 4 total ranks is by getting a 4x8GB kit. 8GB sticks are almost always single rank.

With 16GB sticks, they are both single and dual rank. Only expensive 16GB sticks are guaranteed to be dual rank.

32GB sticks do not come in single rank, I think.

3 minutes ago, CryingWimp said:

You need to use CPUz to find out. Gskills does not list how many ranks.

7 minutes ago, Ephreal said:

If you get new ram you might lose performance. If you add another dual rank kit you will now be in quad rank which can be unstable at higher speeds. If you add another kit that is single rank your ram will not be matched and likely cause your performance to go down.

If you need more ram, the best way is to sell your kit and get a new 4x32GB kit. 128GB of ram will almost certainly be in quad rank though. You don't want quad rank unless you actually need the 128GB of ram, then quad rank is fine because you need more ram.

Otherwise, you already have the ideal setup. Cheers

2 minutes ago, CryingWimp said:

If you want more ram, the best way is to sell your kit and get a new kit that will also be in dual rank.

Otherwise, you have the ideal setup. Cheers

:D. I'm not looking to get more memory. Only to improve its performance. But i cant seem to find any with lower CL at thoes speeds and sizes.

Thank you for your help

Ideally with Zen3 you don't buy over 3600MTs so that your XMP profile works. 4000MTs likely will not work without tuning.

Both 3600MTs and 4000MTs ram will require tuning to get the best performance, so you might as well get a working XMP profile for convenience. Both are great choices.

You should be able to manually lower your timings on your 4000MTs kit.