What is the Blackmagic Pocket 4k of Photography?

suits

I'm looking to upgrade my photography camera and I really don't know where to go, is there a Blackmagic Pocket 4K of the photography world?

Something above average for the price, that's kind of the go-to, for enthusiast level photography?

Really depends on your goals, budget, and what you want to take pictures of. What camera do you have now? Do you want to reuse lenses?

Do you have a budget? Do you have lenses? 

Probably the entry level full frame mirrorless cameras are the best bang for the buck when it comes to image quality for new cameras. So something like a eos rp, nikon z5, or sony a7 iii. 

"The single most important part of a camera, is the 12 inches behind it."

-Ansel Adams

Have you *really* outgrown the existing capabilities of your camera, or do you just want something new?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

"The single most important part of a camera, is the 12 inches behind it."

-Ansel Adams

Have you *really* outgrown the existing capabilities of your camera, or do you just want something new?

I mean yes and no, can the camera I have still take good pictures. Yes. Is it more than 10 years old. Yes. I'd really like some more up to date pictures. 

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Really depends on your goals, budget, and what you want to take pictures of. What camera do you have now? Do you want to reuse lenses?

Do you have a budget? Do you have lenses? 

Probably the entry level full frame mirrorless cameras are the best bang for the buck when it comes to image quality for new cameras. So something like a eos rp, nikon z5, or sony a7 iii. 

I currently have Nikon lenses but not particularly good ones. 

1 minute ago, suits said:

I currently have Nikon lenses but not particularly good ones. 

What camera and lensees do you have now?

What is limiting you with your old camera? What do you wish was better?

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What camera and lensees do you have now?

What is limiting you with your old camera? What do you wish was better?

D3200 I've got a prime 25mm prime 50mm, some other basic zoom lenses. Nothing I'm that attached too.

Faster auto focus would be nice, better sensor overall, sharper picture so I can crop more if I need, video that isn't pretty awful if I need a quick thing done and the black magic is being used by someone else. Honestly the camera I have is just not meeting my needs. It's as simple as that. It's 2021 and it's not as sharp as I'd like.

5 minutes ago, suits said:

D3200 I've got a prime 25mm prime 50mm, some other basic zoom lenses. Nothing I'm that attached too.

Faster auto focus would be nice, better sensor overall, sharper picture so I can crop more if I need, video that isn't pretty awful if I need a quick thing done and the black magic is being used by someone else. Honestly the camera I have is just not meeting my needs. It's as simple as that. It's 2021 and it's not as sharp as I'd like.

Sharpness is rarely affected by the body. I have shot many sharp pictures on sone very old cameras. You can get very sharp pictures with that setup if used correctly.

Whats your budget? 

Id probably go with a budget full frame system if you really want a new cameras, like a eos rp or z5. But the image quality difference is very small, you won't notice it in most uses.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Sharpness is rarely affected by the body. I have shot many sharp pictures on sone very old cameras. You can get very sharp pictures with that setup if used correctly.

Whats your budget? 

Id probably go with a budget full frame system if you really want a new cameras, like a eos rp or z5. But the image quality difference is very small, you won't notice it in most uses.

Maybe it's possible something is wrong with my camera? I have used my lenses on a friends d500 and the picture quality is sooo much better. Maybe the sensor is dirty or something? Not sure, the auto focus is so slow in comparison too. And the video is lifeless even after color correction. The EOS RP looks interesting I might check it out. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, suits said:

Maybe it's possible something is wrong with my camera? I have used my lenses on a friends d500 and the picture quality is sooo much better. Maybe the sensor is dirty or something? Not sure, the auto focus is so slow in comparison too. And the video is lifeless even after color correction. The EOS RP looks interesting I might check it out. Thanks!

Can you show an example photo and the settings you used?

Is the af slow on all lenses? The lens makes a big difference to auto focus speed. What af settings and mode are you using?

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd like go fuji X-S10 but a FF nikon Z5 can be had for 700-800$ used. wow does nikon want a lot for a simple lens mount adapter 250$?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'd like go fuji X-S10 but a FF nikon Z5 can be had for 700-800$ used. wow does nikon want a lot for a simple lens mount adapter 250$?

Im curious why you like the Fuji? Have you used them much? 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im curious why you like the Fuji? Have you used them much? 

I don't like the RP, especially as a hybrid body. I've not used nikon enough to recommend it

Its imaged stabilized, got a fast framerate and shutters speed in manual with an even faster in electronic mode, great grip. Its in may ways as good as the X-T4 with a better grip and slightly worse video, basically the best APS-C bodies you can get with a lens set to match

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I don't like the RP, especially as a hybrid body. I've not used nikon enough to recommend it

Its imaged stabilized, got a fast framerate and shutters speed in manual with an even faster in electronic mode, great grip. Its in may ways as good as the X-T4 with a better grip and slightly worse video, basically the best APS-C bodies you can get with a lens set to match

What don't you like about the rp? Seems like a nice cheap body. Not perfect, but far from bad.

I don't see the 20fps burst as a big feature for most. I run mine at low speed burst normally, as most of the time you just don't need it.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What don't you like about the rp? Seems like a nice cheap body. Not perfect, but far from bad.

I don't see the 20fps burst as a big feature for most. I run mine at low speed burst normally, as most of the time you just don't need it.

its 1.7x crop in video, meh battery life with a tiny battery. (I really expect LP-E6 in higher end bodies not a 900mah battery fit for a rebel line)

rolling shutter

it feels like they tried to redo so much of it instead of taking a xxd and giving it a FF sensor

I'm not saying most people want/need a 20fps burst but getting over 5 with AF is nice

it was okay in 2019 and early 2020 but now for the money there are better bodies, like the Z5, X-S10