What you think about youtube making your videos available for anyone to use? because they have done it.

OscarMike

So i came across a video about youtube shorts. its this thing youtube is trying to popularize. but the way they are going about it is in my opinion very slimly. when you upload a video to youtube there are some settings you need to be aware about. youtube has hidden these settings really well. you need to go into the settings of the video scroll to the bottom, click view more and scroll to the bottom again. there is a checkbox which says "allow use in youtube shorts" and this box is checked by default. this means that if you dont uncheck this box anyone on the internet can use your content in their youtube shorts video. this in itself i find very disturbing. but thats not the worst part.

youtube has applied this check box to every video you have ever uploaded. yep. if you have 100s or even 1000s of videos each and every one is now free for anyone to use in their own youtube shorts video. the only way to stop this is to go to the settings of each individual video and uncheck that box. youtube has conveniently not included a "uncheck all" function. 

i already find it disgusting how youtube handles copyrights, protecting the record labels and completely screwing over content creators but now youtube is effectively allowing anyone to steal all of our copyrights. 

what are your thoughts on this. 

if the shorts fall under fair use then who cares

30 minutes ago, emosun said:

if the shorts fall under fair use then who cares

if the "shorts" are just highlight reels and "top moments" from random channels leeching off creators, it's wrong. To retroactively do it to all videos is even worse for those trying to make an income off their content.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

I agree it doesn't look great but after having dug a little deeper I think this is actually a good thing.

By "allowing use in Shorts" you are not relinquishing copyright, only granting permission to use. In the guidelines for creating a Short, users are warned about using content which they do not have copyright for and as far as I can tell Shorts are protected by the same Content ID system as all other YouTube videos. So if someone utilizes copyrighted content in their Short and the copyright holder doesn't like this, the Short can be taken down just like any other video.

Now the good part. With this new system when users make a Short using sampled content, the Short itself is linked to the original content. Now the original creator has more control because at any time they can revoke permission via the setting described by OP, which "will permanently delete all Shorts sampling its content" (from the setting description).

This is compared to people simply downloading the video and using the content with no backend link to the original video.

So really nothing is different than before. If you are worried about people stealing your content then you still have to be vigilant and utilize the Content ID system. Only now its easier to remove infringing Shorts with a single click.

16 minutes ago, harryk said:

By "allowing use in Shorts" you are not relinquishing copyright, only granting permission to use.

my point is tho. that you are not granting permission. by youtube automatically applying the check box to all your videos they are making the decision for you.

its up to you to follow up any infringements on your privacy. which creates a huge hassle for anyone who would rather not have any of their content used. if youtube actually cared about the content creator they would have asked before implementing this. a simple pop up that comes up asking if you would like your video to be used in shorts. with options like "allow all" or "decline all". there is also no way for a user to uncheck all the settings at once. youtube also did not mention to anyone they were doing this they slipped it under the radar implementing it without notifying the creators. to me this clearly shows they are trying to hide this feature from the creator and making it as hard as possible to opt out. slimy business.

these are the kind of sneaky business practices i dont like. if they has simply asked the creator and added a function where you could globally opt in or out on all your videos i would not have a problem with it. its the way they go about implementing it. making decisions for you by automatically checking the box without notifying you. 

2 hours ago, OscarMike said:

there is also no way for a user to uncheck all the settings at once.

Found it in a manner of seconds in my Studio.

image.png.c99f11ba080c9806895738d53d6ff863.png

Yeah, it's shitty that they automatically apply that setting, but it's turned off easily enough if you're aware of it.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

34 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Found it in a manner of seconds in my Studio.

oh damn thats really good. the video i watched must have been mistaken about this. my mistake. im not so mad at youtube anymore. thanks for correcting me.

4 hours ago, OscarMike said:

my point is tho. that you are not granting permission. by youtube automatically applying the check box to all your videos they are making the decision for you.

The thing is people don't have to ASK for permission or get permission granted, in some scenarios.

It's perfectly legal under fair use to use short segments even of copyrighted works for a limited number of reasons like critique of movie, art show etc or for news purposes.

Should they have a "Select all videos > unckeck permission " option ? Yeah, uploaders should not have to be constantly checking the options or news feeds to see if something is added or changed and they should not have to do lots of manual work (changing videos one by one)

OK, just trying to turn off this 'feature' in for my little channel, and I got this:

image.thumb.png.d23143bf7c6e1d26d056f6f3fcaac746.png

"Not all vidoes can be opted out" - what is that supposed to mean?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 hours ago, OscarMike said:

Have you seen how many times the same cat videos get put into compilation vids? This is one way of addressing that. But it’s also about trying to eat tictok’s lunch.

19 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

OK, just trying to turn off this 'feature' in for my little channel, and I got this:

"Not all vidoes can be opted out" - what is that supposed to mean?

If you follow the "Learn More" link, this is what it outlines:

image.png.1cda5b72df000433f0e5c416413d2d2f.png

As I understand it, audio sampling from Shorts can't be opted out, so if you upload a Short with some audio in it, that audio can be used in other Shorts regardless of your settings. It's clear that they're intending to position Shorts as a competitor to TikTok, which is almost entirely based on sampled audio. I assume "long-form" in this context refers to any regularly uploaded Youtube video not designated as a short.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

More shit to change in my settings? sigh.. Hopefully living in europe doesnt make it too fuckery.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD