My Midlife Crisis Car

JonoT

I think this video was done perfectly for the audience, tech enthusiasts of which some will also be car enthusiasts, many of which have the disposable income to drop a bucket of money on a fun car.  The only gripe I have would be the fact that every problem mentioned here is nothing more than a software update and that was mentioned but perhaps underplayed.  I guess that's part of the art form though.  I have been sold or lost on video's of products, granted much cheaper products, when I'm in the crux of a decision and looking for a video that highlights my desires or points out my fears, either of which can be ignored on a review by review basis depending on where my slider is on that topic.  In the end I believe you stayed true to your audience base and this video was thorough consumer information.  Gotta stay legit to the audience first and foremost which can open up future video spots.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

I don't understand when you say it drives so much better than a tesla, other than the superior suspension. The model S p100d, and especially the plaid are much faster accelerating!!
Could you elaborate on what you mean?

no one catch the image of linus wearing shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, danwat1234 said:

The model S p100d, and especially the plaid are much faster accelerating!!

Are you Jeremy Clarkson?

Snowrunner devs: "Be careful where you drive, as you can get stuck in the  mud, try to drive slowly to avoid getting stuck.". me driving in mud: :  snowrunner

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 hours ago, danwat1234 said:

I don't understand when you say it drives so much better than a tesla, other than the superior suspension. The model S p100d, and especially the plaid are much faster accelerating!!
Could you elaborate on what you mean?

It's because Linus doesn't understand that the Model Y he is comparing it to is basically a $30,000 car with add-ons. The model Y like the 3 has a different suspension system to the S and X which start around Porsches starting prices, so comparing either a 3 or a Y to a Porsche is like comparing a Grand Caravan to a Porsche, one can do it, but one really shouldn't. The 3/Y might get a upgrade eventually, but the word eventually means his doesn't have it.

Linus also doesn't understand Porsche takes pride into their suspension and track tech whereas someone like Tesla doesn't really care, as long as it works on the road and isn't the worst suspension ever it's good enough, which really is all 99% of the people need anyways. Oh FYI go to page 1 and watch the Model Y Performance video, you don't need a S to out preform the 4s lol.

Make a "Check out this cool car" video instead of stumbling around a "review" with improperly run dyno tests, misunderstandings about horsepower/torque, drifting with traction control, illogical car comparisons and so on.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I'm far from a "car guy" and such luxury and excessive products fall well outside of my philosophy, along with sizable contempt for the people in a position to purchase such things, so take what follows for the ignorant hate-speech that is. I've only driven a porsche on a handful of occasions, and I've never enjoyed the experience. All instances were due to my rich douchebag uncle (he's super stingy with family, though, so don't go getting any thoughts that his wealth benefits me in anyway; I assure you it does not)  needing me to drive one of this cars somewhere for some reason. The first time was driving his 911 from one of this houses to another. Maybe it's because I'm built like an orangutan on a step-ladder, but that mouse of a car just isn't designed for someone of my height. The other was driving his Macan. Again, I did not care for it, primarily because the interface for climate control is powered by moon-logic. My mother and I could only figure out how to either have the AC off completely or on full blast. There are enough buttons and knobs to rival the space shuttle and none of the interface made any sense.

So yeah, long story short, I loath the interface for these things. Trying to do anything other than just drive the damn car is an exercise in frustration and confusion.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Congratulations Linus!

Your first luxury car, well deserved! Love your videos, love your channel, and all the things you and your amazing team do!

edit: please delete this comment

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

You pronounced Porsche correctly and then dropped the ball on Taycan. - It's Tie-KAHN. Like 3080 Tie KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

I'm a professional and I'm pretty well versed in this.

To understand the power of this thing, and why Porsche may undersell the horsepower numbers, it's important to understand how torque curves work. In a petrol based vehicle, horsepower is derivative of torque and engine rpms - to be specific (Torque X Engine RPM)/5,252 = Horsepower. This is the fundamental basis of how a dyno gets its read out - they don't actually measure horsepower at all. They measure torque and do math. The math for an electric vehicle will differ from this and will probably be the subject of my next google search.

That's kind of an aside, and a bit of a "I know this math off the top of my head" style flex. Nonetheless. In gas vehicles, you will climb into your peak torque range. That is, start with low power and then work in to the range where you make peak torque (a dyno will read 475 tq @ X RPM - that's peak torque). When looking at electric motors, this is inversed. An electric motor is at peak torque at 0 RPM and will lose torque as it gets higher in RPM. Porsche made the Taycan faster by adding a 2 speed gearbox - that is, to allow the vehicle to upshift and operate at lower RPM, thusly providing more effective torque from the motor.)

Everything in an EV can effect these numbers, and while I clearly don't know their exact testing process, it's safe to say these numbers would be averaged. On a dyno, it's likely that all the accessories were deactivated and it had just come from your office - I'm willing to bet fully charged.

A fully charged EV with no running accessories makes more power. Now add headlights, stereo, air con, heated or cooled seats, bluetooth... so on, and these little things (at least in the case of a Tesla, citations needed for a Porsche) will actually cost power, but most of all being the effective battery life remaining. It's fair to say that Porsche power ratings may have been an average whereas you tested under best possible operating conditions.

Or they just underrated it out of some unbeknownst to me brand of Porsche humility.... Yeah, okay.

The Taycan deserves credit based on just its gearing alone. The vehicle has potential to revolutionize EVs as we know them.

I do like the focus on the tech reviewing aspects of the car, as that's what the channel is - but I do think it would be helpful, if you do more car reviews to also review in greater detail the things the automotive enthusiasts are looking for. (I've had editorials published before and I'm a technician - will work for clout.)

Happy to help.

• 6 months later...

image.png.65aace35763f6fe023b32f60645e26f9.png

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

• 1 year later...