Motion sickness while playing half life 2

Ayush008

Hello guys ,

Hope u r doing well !!

Stay safe and healthy

I know many of you guys have lot of experience regarding gaming stuffs n all.

So I thought to share this post with you.

I don't know why but whenever I play half life 2 I feel like I will puke(especially while driving boat)🤮🤮. I hardly play for 15 min and then I have to close it.

It's so strange ...!!!

I remember this was an issue for quite a few people back when it came out. I think changing the field of view has helped some people (not sure if it's in the menu or needs to be changed via console commands though).

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/xwayk/severe_motion_sickness_while_playing_halflife_2/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I have quite similar symptoms if i play games at a very low fov (70° or so). Or when there is a lot of unneccesary camera wobble. Check the options if you can adjust these settings.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

I remember this was an issue for quite a few people back when it came out. I think changing the field of view has helped some people (not sure if it's in the menu or needs to be changed via console commands though).

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/xwayk/severe_motion_sickness_while_playing_halflife_2/

Oh right in that engine you can do just about anything with console commands 😄 Forgot about that.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Thnx @Eigenvektor

For sharing your opinion.

I will try it and will let you know.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I have quite similar symptoms if i play games at a very low fov (70° or so). Or when there is a lot of unneccesary camera wobble. Check the options if you can adjust these settings.

Thnx @Stahlmann,

I will check and let u know 

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Try Half Life Alyx, then it'll technically be VR sickness rather than motion sickness.

Thnx @Sakkura

For understanding my problem 😄

Also remember that the more distance you put between your head and the monitor, the better.

Motion sickness in people playing games is partially because some people’s brains can’t reconcile their real life field of view and the field of view on screen. The more you sit back, the more the two will match each other.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

30 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Also remember that the more distance you put between your head and the monitor, the better.

Motion sickness in people playing games is partially because some people’s brains can’t reconcile their real life field of view and the field of view on screen. The more you sit back, the more the two will match each other.

Thnx @Roswell

I will keep that thing in my mind.

As some have already mentioned, motion sickness is the result of competing senses of motion. From Physical feeling, expected feeling, and visual.

E.G:

Your on a ferry, You see the movement, u expect to feel it, u dont.

Your on a indoor roller coaster in a dark setting, u feel the movement, you expect it, but u cant see it.

In this instance ur playing an FPS game, u dont feel any motion, u dont expect to feel any motion, but u see motion. Increasing PoV 'may' help, but moving further back so ur peripheral vision can easily see the room around you would also likely help.

Some people are just more susceptible to these conflicting sensory inputs.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

From experience, it goes away if play VERY often (me, it was multiple hours daily).

What can help ;

• short play durations (take breaks, 5-15 minutes and don't play more than 1h at a time)
  • have something in your stomach before playing (I know it sounds weird, but for me and others, it's worse if I'm on an empty stomach, don't need to have a full meal, a tiny snack is enough)
  • Take ginger pills / chews 15-20 minutes before playing (this is stomach related, ginger reduce electrical activity in the stomach and that helps with the symptoms).

Those are all things I did while working in the video game industry (8-10 hours in front of a game that gives you motion sickness isn't fun, at all). After a while, your body acclimates to this and you're much less prone to motion sickness in games or VR, so you might not need some, or any of what I suggested above.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

33 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

As some have already mentioned, motion sickness is the result of competing senses of motion. From Physical feeling, expected feeling, and visual.

E.G:

Your on a ferry, You see the movement, u expect to feel it, u dont.

Your on a indoor roller coaster in a dark setting, u feel the movement, you expect it, but u cant see it.

In this instance ur playing an FPS game, u dont feel any motion, u dont expect to feel any motion, but u see motion. Increasing PoV 'may' help, but moving further back so ur peripheral vision can easily see the room around you would also likely help.

Some people are just more susceptible to these conflicting sensory inputs.

Thnx @SolarNova,

Your explanation is quite logical.

I appreciate your effort.👍👍👍👍

Next time onwards I will change Pov settings.

Plus I will keep some sour candies , that will help me to rid of this sickness 

38 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

From experience, it goes away if play VERY often (me, it was multiple hours daily).

What can help ;

• short play durations (take breaks, 5-15 minutes and don't play more than 1h at a time)
  • have something in your stomach before playing (I know it sounds weird, but for me and others, it's worse if I'm on an empty stomach, don't need to have a full meal, a tiny snack is enough)
  • Take ginger pills / chews 15-20 minutes before playing (this is stomach related, ginger reduce electrical activity in the stomach and that helps with the symptoms).

Those are all things I did while working in the video game industry (8-10 hours in front of a game that gives you motion sickness isn't fun, at all). After a while, your body acclimates to this and you're much less prone to motion sickness in games or VR, so you might not need some, or any of what I suggested above.

Thnx @wkdpaul

For your advice.

I mean it.

Sounds interesting , from next time onwards I will follow these steps.

I only experience Motion sickness in Fallout and Elder Scrolls titles.

Changing FOV to 90 or 95 makes it go away.

Which is really strange as I can play other games on lower FOV all day and never feel sick. I have been on boats during storms, on rollercoasters, cable cars with strong winds and things like that never felt sick during any of that. It's only Fallout and Elder Scrolls and I don't know why.

Maybe I'm just allergic to the creation engine.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

7 hours ago, Montana16 said:

I only experience Motion sickness in Fallout and Elder Scrolls titles.

Changing FOV to 90 or 95 makes it go away.

Which is really strange as I can play other games on lower FOV all day and never feel sick. I have been on boats during storms, on rollercoasters, cable cars with strong winds and things like that never felt sick during any of that. It's only Fallout and Elder Scrolls and I don't know why.

Maybe I'm just allergic to the creation engine.

Thnx @Montana16,

For sharing your experience.May be it depend upon person to person,  As some have already mentioned, motion sickness is the result of competing senses of motion. From Physical feeling, expected feeling, and visual. As per your instruction I will change the settings of FOV.