50" QN90A vs 48" CX/C1 as a mainly PC monitor?

Usage: Mainly PC monitor/gaming and movies but I will also be getting a PS5 in the future. I have a tendency to play a single game or an mmorpg for long periods of time but you can count me out for competitive games.

Setup: Single window bedroom so I can control the lighting easily. I will have my current 1440p monitor as a secondary display so an important thing to note is if I get the oled, I can do most of the browsing on it to mitigate some burn-in concerns.

I could basically get both the QN90A and the CX at similar prices ($1.2k-ish). The CX supposedly comes with a free 4 year burn-in warranty but it's by CPS and apparently it'd be unwise to count on them to come through. So pretending it doesn't exist.. with my usage as mentioned, my burn-in fears are enhanced with regular PC use & playing a single game for thousands of hours (IE Monster Hunter and well, almost every mmorpg). However with that said, the 10k hour RTINGS OLED burn-in test for the football & fifa displays actually doesn't seem that bad for content that has a handful of static UI which makes me even more conflicted.

And then there is the QN90A which apparently "delivers 95% of the OLED picture but 0% of the burn-in". That in itself makes it all the more appealing, but the fact that it doesn't have Dolby Vision and more than 1 HDMI 2.1 port despite having OLED pricing is really hard to overlook... Why oh why Samsung must you do this.

I'm also open to other suggestions though.

how close are u gonne sit infront of the tv if your planning on beeing very close i would go for oled those va tvs dont work that great if your very close do to the viewing angles the edges start to shift colors if your close 

2 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

how close are u gonne sit infront of the tv if your planning on beeing very close i would go for oled those va tvs dont work that great if your very close do to the viewing angles the edges start to shift colors if your close 

About 3-4 feet away. I do plan on getting a deeper desk in the future though.

Both the Samsung and the LG have their place on the market. And i have no idea why the US models with Samsung don't come with their "hub-boxes" anymore. The EU version comes with the box and thus 4 HDMI 2.1 ports.

Normally i'd say don't think about burn-in too much, but MMORPG's are an example of a "high-risk" game. There are many static HUD elements, than also often have bright and vibrant colored icons on them.

If you're willing to accept the risk, i'd almost always go for the OLED.

That being said, the Samsung TV is also excellent in terms of picture quality and there is nothing particularly wrong with it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I use a 65" LG Oled for PC monitor, TV and PS4 Monitor

I wouldn't buy an LCD screen with PWM dimming like your QN90A, especially as PC monitor.

This may be unfounded but I understand that instead of lowering constantly the brightness it punches in the eyes with full power many times a second.

I run my Oled at 0 brightness because of eye strain (ok my screen is bigger). But 0 brightness also helps with Burn In. 0 brightness looks very ok to me and to anyone who's seen it.

I wouldn't go smaller anymore. The 55" and even 65" Oled are often similarly priced as the 48" around here.

I game from the sofa, 3m away. My PS4 mode increases the brightness to maybe 30/100.

Everybody who's seen it was awed.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

I started using OLEDs as monitors before the 48" version came out.

The size has been a plus for me with the only down side being that I find using 27" monitors intolerable now.  

My 55" B9 burnt in and it took 4900 hours. I will add a picture of the screen below.

Now I only use the OLEDs for gaming and I use a LG Nano 85 for doing what we are doing now.

I have no plans to stop using OLEDs for gaming and I would not even consider the Samsung.

Here are the reasons.

1)The OLEDs do a perfect 1440p.

Not even with my 3080 ti will I be able to play some of my games at 4k with the frames and settings I like so 1440p is a must. In a lot of games I have to look to see what resolution I am in. It is that good on the OLEDs.

My LG Nano 85 is IPS and 1440p does not look great on it but better than my 4k VA monitor.

2) G-force Compatible.

The Samsung is FreeSync Premium. I have that on the LG Nano 85 and I like it. I do not like FreeSync on any of my monitors with Nvidia cards.

G-force Compatible is only slightly better.

3) Picture quality.  

My Nano 85 is about 95% of the picture quality of the OLEDs in games and about 85% in movies and TV. I watch YouTube videos on it but for anything else I use the OLEDs. If I had to replace an OLED every 3 years because of burn in, I would rather do that than settle for less.

Chromeburnin.thumb.jpg.b7de352351999650b12eae57053d3038.jpg

5 hours ago, LB96 said:

About 3-4 feet away. I do plan on getting a deeper desk in the future though.

Mine are on 30" deep tables so about 30 to 36" away. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I am in the same boat and I made my choice: either get the 48CX or wait for the 42" oled that should be coming out this year.

My desk is deep, that's what I meant on my other topic. The length is the same.

There is another important thing to know, the brightness. My parents have the IPS tv and the brightness is too much, like really too much!

Lowering the brightness will make the picture look very dull and ugly. My 55" oled tv that's only meant for netflix and tv, I've lowered the oled brightness and there is absolutely no loss in picture quality. OLED tv's have two different brightness settings: the normal one and the oled brightness. Well, my A7 has two 😛 Lowering the brightness indeed reduces burn-ins. It's been almost 3 years since I got my A7 and there is no sign of any burn-in and I do watch channels with static logos but nothing severe like football and so on.

For PC usage like writing a document or browsing, use your lcd monitor. For pc gaming and movies, OLED! LCD is cancer because of endless backlight bleeding.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

It would be best to make some habitual changes in your usage if you get an OLED, however once u do that there shouldn't be any issues.

OLED degradation (burn-in) is cumulative, so if ur going to spend 1000+ hours playing a specific game with the same high contrast UI, u will eventually get 'burn-in'.

However if ur only likely to spend 100-500 hours on a specific game, then move onto another, and another and another and so on, then you should never see 'burn-in'.

If u do spend 1000+ hours on a single game over the Displays lifetime, but its UI is low contrast , not always up, or has some level of opacity, then you can extend that time frame further, 2000hours+ even.

Habitual changes u should make:

• Animated desktop background and/or large arrangement of changing backgrounds.*
  • Desktop icons hidden or with opacity*
  • Taskbar auto hide enabled
  • Windows, such as web browsers, programs etc should not be 'maximized' all the time. Open them and resize randomly urself to stop the window icons (eg minimize, maximize, close) from always appearing in the exact top right location all the time
  • Screensaver - basic black background or something simple like 'Mystify'
  • Games UI - where possible change their position, size, and opacity regularly.

*A program on steam called 'Wallpaper Engine' can do this for you and its very cheap.

These habitual changes , while some may seem a chore, will eventual become 'habit' , u wont notice ur doing it. I've been doing it for over 10 years with my Plasma.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Not gonna lie, I was leaning towards the QN90A before posting the thread and now you guys pulled me back into the OLED wagon.

I'm gonna admit I exaggerated my usage to convince myself off of OLED because in the past 7 years I've probably played only one mmorpg (not anymore though), Black Desert, and even though I logged thousands of hours, it's a game played AFK in the taskbar 80% of the time lol. Just decided to leave room for that specific use case if I manage to get hooked on another mmorpg with the new display.

Thank you guys!

On 6/14/2021 at 7:11 PM, LB96 said:

Not gonna lie, I was leaning towards the QN90A before posting the thread and now you guys pulled me back into the OLED wagon.

I'm gonna admit I exaggerated my usage to convince myself off of OLED because in the past 7 years I've probably played only one mmorpg (not anymore though), Black Desert, and even though I logged thousands of hours, it's a game played AFK in the taskbar 80% of the time lol. Just decided to leave room for that specific use case if I manage to get hooked on another mmorpg with the new display.

Thank you guys!

I had a plasma tv and when I had to get rid of it, I was searching for a new tv and I found out all are led tv's which caused me to get extremely disappointed because of the contrast. Seriously, lcd/led tv's and monitors are pure poop with endless issues. So I had to crank up my budget and got the LG A7 oled 55". It's almost 3 years now and so far, no signs of burn-in. I have to look hard but can't find any and I watch a lot of discovery channel, national geobullshit and other tv channels with static logo but I avoid football and other sports but I've never been interested in that shit anyway. And of course, netflix so no longer need the Chromecast. So yeah, I've gone through a lot to make my decision for a possible new monitor and it will be most likely oled tv. But OLED is simply gorgeous! The glossy finish makes it extra vivid.

Have you made your decision yet? Perhaps you could go for the 48" C1?

And maybe a good idea: get a portable monitor to use for like writing a document for example or webbrowsing.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280