problems with cooling a 5800x

33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

With 3 in and one out as the only possible combo I suspect that overpressure is just going to be the way of things unless you run your exhaust fan very fast and your front fans very slow. 

I have 5 in 1 out, with air flowing front to back. I have removed pci covers and everything gets pushed to the back and out. Each 120x38 is approx. 110CFM, and TY-143 is 130CFM. The CPU has 180CFM of fans on it, hate to keep it waiting for the fresh stuff.. 😄

Fast or slow, it's very effective.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

I have 5 in 1 out, with air flowing front to back. I have removed pci covers and everything gets pushed to the back and out. Each 120x38 is approx. 110CFM, and TY-143 is 130CFM. The CPU has 180CFM of fans on it, hate to keep it waiting for the fresh stuff.. 😄

Fast or slow, it's very effective.

So you DO have the top air vents then.  I myself would be tempted to point the top fans out and run everything at the same speed making for 3 in 3 out close to neutral airflow.  Testing is king with fluid dynamics though, and if it works better your way it works better your way.  The way to tell if you’ve got positive or negative airflow is to use a down telltale by an area with no fans.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

There is no problem using the top rear as an exhaust, it works fine. The problem with using the top front as an exhaust is it just dumps a bunch of air from the out of the case before it makes it to the cpu cooler. The top front keeps the air from the fronts in the case, as well as blow directly onto my ram, and help feed the cooler. I could could technically just run the 3 fronts and seal the top off and use no exhaust.. but I chase those c’s especially in the summer 😄

Keep in mind, I am moving a lot of air, I am not using regular case fans..

And yes, I think everyone should experiment with their setup, there are cookie cutter solutions, but your own solution might be best..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's