Is the stepup from 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p noticeable?

Prodigydeadeye

For those of you who made the jump, is it very noticeable in-game? What is the difference in PPI for the display sizes mentioned?

I should be studying.

I didn't notice a difference in PPI, but I did notice a difference in real estate, oh boy the real estate.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I didn't notice a difference in PPI, but I did notice a difference in real estate, oh boy the real estate.

Wouldn't you get an increase in real estate just by buying a 1080p 27" though? So you just noticed a bigger screen? That hardly seems worth it does it?

I should be studying.

This could be of help to you. 

27" 1440p is 108 PPI 

24" 1080p is 91 PPI

//ccap

This could be of help to you.

27" 1440p is 108 PPI

24" 1080p is 91 PPI

The difference seems pretty small. Is the extra price and PPI really worth it?

I should be studying.

Yes, it is very noticable. When I look at my 27" iMac Screen next to my 23.6" Acer 1920x1080 screen, I can clearly see a difference in sharpness. May be because of the panel/glass too.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

Yes, it is very noticable. When I look at my 27" iMac Screen next to my 23.6" Acer 1920x1080 screen, I can clearly see a difference in sharpness. May be because of the panel/glass too.

Oh goodness gracious, a Mac user...

I should be studying.

The difference seems pretty small. Is the extra price and PPI really worth it?

It is almost a 20% increase in PPI, I'd say that isn't small (actually a decent size increase). Personally I am going to be waiting it out for G-Sync 1440p 24" monitors to run in a triple monitor setup, but if you don't want G-Sync, or don't have a card to support it, then go ahead and pick up a korean panel for cheap. 

//ccap

For those of you who made the jump, is it very noticeable in-game? What is the difference in PPI for the display sizes mentioned?

I made the jump, and 1080p seems pixilated to me now. So yes.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

It is almost a 20% increase in PPI, I'd say that isn't small (actually a decent size increase). Personally I am going to be waiting it out for G-Sync 1440p 24" monitors to run in a triple monitor setup, but if you don't want G-Sync, or don't have a card to support it, then go ahead and pick up a korean panel for cheap.

I personally hate the Korean models. There will be 24" 1440p G-Sync monitors? You sir have made my day. Any idea of pricing?

I should be studying.

I personally hate the Korean m

Well, everybody has their own cup of tea. If you don't mind spending $300 more for a monitor with the same revolution and very few worthwhile tweaks, be my guest. Some people really need the extra features presumably. 

//ccap

Well, everybody has their own cup of tea. If you don't mind spending $300 more for a monitor with the same revolution and very few worthwhile tweaks, be my guest. Some people really need the extra features presumably.

The extra three hundred for a more reputable dealer, a better stand, the screen can be turned vertically, a better warranty? I don't have to pay shipping back to South Korea if I get a dud? These hardly seem like a "very few worthwhile tweaks." Not to mention better aesthetics, and better onboard settings and controls, and more display connectivity options.

I should be studying.

YES! more clear, more beautiful.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

OR you could wait a few weeks and get a 28" 4K monitor for $700.  Thats 151 ppi. But its up to you

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

The extra three hundred for a more reputable dealer, a better stand, the screen can be turned vertically, a better warranty? I don't have to pay shipping back to South Korea if I get a dud? These hardly seem like a "very few worthwhile tweaks."

My apologies if I came off on the wrong foot, but while we are having this debacle, you can get a Silverstone SC Arm II (the arm with the weird name that Linus reviewed a month or so ago) for ~$100 (here) to have a better stand, the same monitor, and besides, you are located in Japan (supposedly). Shipping to Korea can't be as hard as it is to ship it from Florida (the bottom right of the US). Even then, that is only in the off chance that you actually get a dud. Most people just get 1 stuck pixel (which isn't that noticeable) or some minor blb. 

//ccap

My apologies if I came off on the wrong foot, but while we are having this debacle, you can get a Silverstone SC Arm II (the arm with the weird name that Linus reviewed a month or so ago) for ~$100 (here) to have a better stand, the same monitor, and besides, you are located in Japan (supposedly). Shipping to Korea can't be as hard as it is to ship it from Florida (the bottom right of the US).

I will be back in the USA in threeish months and it would be shipping all the way to Oregon. Also, a new stand doesn't solve all the other advantages I listed of buying from a more reputable brand like Asus, Dell, ViewSonic, BenQ etc. And I know where Florida is jerk. I am not an idiot. I am just pointing out that there are many reasons why one would want to buy from a more reputable brand and not from a not wellknown brand that uses basically second-rate panels that don't quite make the cut for other companies.

I should be studying.

I will be back in the USA in threeish months and it would be shipping all the way to Oregon. Also, a new stand doesn't solve all the other advantages I listed of buying from a more reputable brand like Asus or Dell.

Yeah, I guess a warranty would be nice, but (this is my opinion) it isn't worth the extra $300, especially for a 1440p panel. Everybody has their own opinions, an I hope all goes well on your endeavors for a new monitor.

Have an excellent day.

//ccap

Yeah, I guess a warranty would be nice, but (this is my opinion) it isn't worth the extra $300, especially for a 1440p panel. Everybody has their own opinions, an I hope all goes well on your endeavors for a new monitor.

Have an excellent day.

Exactly. I 100% agree. You too sir. BTW you never mentioned if you knew what the pricing might look like for those 24" 1440p G-Sync monitors from Asus coming in the next few months?

I should be studying.

OR you could wait a few weeks and get a 28" 4K monitor for $700. Thats 151 ppi. But its up to you

Dude I don't got the graphics power for that. A GTX 780 won't play at the settings I would want.

I should be studying.

Wouldn't you get an increase in real estate just by buying a 1080p 27" though? So you just noticed a bigger screen? That hardly seems worth it does it?

Not just a bigger screen, You can see/do more at once too. That web browser that looked squashed when you put tabs side by side now allows you to see so much more. 

post-19672-0-99119400-1396441223_thumb.jpost-19672-0-61227400-1396441225_thumb.j

Getting a 1080p 27" you just stretch the desktop out compared with a 1080p 24", but if you increase the resolution, the extra space becomes actually very useful, usable desktop space.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Not just a bigger screen, You can see/do more at once too. That web browser that looked squashed when you put tabs side by side now allows you to see so much more.

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

Getting a 1080p 27" you just stretch the desktop out compared with a 1080p 24", but if you increase the resolution, the extra space becomes actually very useful, usable desktop space.

I like the looks of that :)

I should be studying.

No

1080p at 24" and 1080p at 27" are the same size, the image is stretch up to fit into a 27" space, so the pixels are larger

1440p for me is the minimum for 27", thats why I just sold my 1080p 27" display and I am upgrading to 1440p, I will benefit from better image quality in games, and more screen space for editing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Exactly. I 100% agree. You too sir. BTW you never mentioned if you knew what the pricing might look like for those 24" 1440p G-Sync monitors from Asus coming in the next few months?

It's not a 24"!! Asus announced a 27" 1440p G-Sync 120hz monitor, the ROG Swift! It'll be $800! Honestly, unless fast refresh rate is important to you i would forget about this one, it's a TN panel which means the colours will be all washed out and pretty unaccurate!

Most likely there will never be a 24" 1440p monitor, there's no market for it and Dell has a 24" 4k display, so if they can make 24" 4k monitors they won't start doing 1440p ( atleast from a business/profit point of view, but you can never know for sure).

It's not a 24"!! Asus announced a 27" 1440p G-Sync 120hz monitor, the ROG Swift! It'll be $800! Honestly, unless fast refresh rate is important to you i would forget about this one, it's a TN panel which means the colours will be all washed out and pretty unaccurate!

Most likely there will never be a 24" 1440p monitor, there's no market for it and Dell has a 24" 4k display, so if they can make 24" 4k monitors they won't start doing 1440p ( atleast from a business/profit point of view, but you can never know for sure).

dang it. It will be while until I would be able to power a 4k monitor. :(

I should be studying.

dang it. It will be while until I would be able to power a 4k monitor. :(

you and almost everyone so don't be sad, you're not alone! When 4k displays get affordable GPU technology will be a little bit more advanced and it will be able to run 4k with no problem!